Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

For those who swapped MASTER CYLINDERS!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who swapped MASTER CYLINDERS!!

Front brake master cylinders. As in newer model, remote mount reservoir front master cylinders.

If you've swapped one on, please post YEAR / MAKE / MODEL

I'm shopping Ebay now.

Thanks!

2004 GSXR 600, love it..

Any MC that isn't radial should work. (in fact a radial should work too, but you need to be more picky about the bore and stroke.)
    I think Gytr went with a Kawi unit of a ZX12 or 10..

Happy hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by black_peter View Post
      i think gytr went with a kawi unit of a zx12 or 10..
      iirc, 2006 zx10

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I've got 07 gsxr 1000's on my Bandit. The 04 master I have is a fixed clear res. I have a 06 and 05 and they are about the same.

Comment

what is the benifit of swapping master cylinders?
          May the road rise up to meet you.
          May the wind always be at your back.
          May the sun shine warm upon your face,
          and rains fall soft upon your fields.
          And until we meet again,
          May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
          RIP Marc

Comment

Different master cylinders can deliver brake fluid in great proportions or faster than standard, offering either greater braking performance, or, more importantly a better "feel" at the brake, allowing you to brake longer into a corner, or harder before locking up the front wheel.

Comment

Will they be the same for the post and pre models, I've got an 03 but would like to keep my very expensive brake leaver?

Thanks

Tok

Comment

2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                Chrome Project Part 1
                http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Originally posted by O.T. View Post
                  I've got 07 gsxr 1000's on my Bandit. The 04 master I have is a fixed clear res. I have a 06 and 05 and they are about the same.
                  From your post it sounds like you have a couple of spare GSXR front brake master cylinders? Want to get rid of one?

Comment

Originally posted by erok011 View Post
                    what is the benifit of swapping master cylinders?
                    In my case, it was cheaper than a rebuild for my shotty stock setup. Plus, it will brake much cleaner and stronger than stock (in conjunction with stainless lines from HS2020). And by stronger, I mean WAY stronger.

Comment

Well I started a long post and it got deleted so here goes again..

Way back when I first got my Kat I totally took apart and went through the brakes. (Rebuilt the calipers, installed braided lines, new pads, flushed the fluid etc). The original master cylinder's sight glass was clouded so you couldn't even see through it...so I ended up scoring a 2006 Katana Master cylinder for cheap, and I installed it.

That's where the issue started, I just didn't know it.

After a TON of reading and research here's the quick and dirty on brake master cylinders.

The stock 88-03 Katana 600/750 front master cylinder uses a 5/8" piston.

The later model uses a 14mm piston

5/8" = .625"
                      14mm = .551"

INCREASING M/C piston diameter = less "feel" but usually results in LESS lever travel on the brakes

DECREASING M/C piston diameter = more "feel" but usually INCREASE lever travel.

NOTE: Increasing piston diameter DOES NOT give you more braking power, it simply changes the leverage between the master cylinder and the calipers.

And before you start looking for a replacement master cylinder, MAKE SURE you know the original piston size of yours and the size of the replacement you planning on using.

And make SURE that all the other parts of the system (calipers, pads, lines etc) are actually up to snuff BEFORE you go changing out master cylinders. An "upgraded" master cylinder won't fix worn pads, worn lines or leaky calipers.

By skimming through master cylinder parts books I have found the following so far:

The rebuild kit (piston / cup / seal kit) is the same (and thus the piston diameter) for a HUGE range of models:

Suzuki PT#59600-45860 (5/8" piston)

88-03 Kat 600/750
                      also includes the TL1K, the SV series etc through several year ranges

the kit for the 2004-2006 Katana (14mm piston) encompasses several models, and many ATV's and off road bikes if it matters.

I'm still researching the piston size for later model GSXR 600/750 (2004-2007 appears to use the same kit)

BP if you have that master cylinder on your Kat, any chance on checking to see what the piston size is? There should be numbers engraved on it somewhere.

Comment

RE gytr's swap, many zx10 riders swap out to the radial M/C from the 05-06 636 and 07+ 6R, that may be another alternative
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Anything was better than my shotty stock one, that thing was junk.

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                            Anything was better than my shotty stock one, that thing was junk.

So am I correct in thinking that a master cylinder from a Busa 2001 will be better than my stock one?

Tok

Comment

Originally posted by Tokalosh View Post
                              So am I correct in thinking that a master cylinder from a Busa 2001 will be better than my stock one?

Tok
                              If yours is working fine, no a Busa M/C is not necessarily an upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X