• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to fit 180 tire on rear bolt on style

is it possible?

want to get these tires for my bike :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PIREL...ht_1099wt_1197

but i KNOW 150 right now is real close to the torque arm on the rear. was curious if there was a bolt on swing arm tire/wheel assembly i can use off a different bike to get this tire to fit? I saw the post of cutting and angling the stock swingarm to accomidate but i dont have welding skills and im not tryig to moddify suspention in my garage! i just want to know if its possible and maybe get a nudge in the right direction

-Phil

Originally posted by pmjr0987 View Post
    is it possible?

want to get these tires for my bike :

but i KNOW 150 right now is real close to the torque arm on the rear. was curious if there was a bolt on swing arm tire/wheel assembly i can use off a different bike to get this tire to fit? I saw the post of cutting and angling the stock swingarm to accomidate but i dont have welding skills and im not tryig to moddify suspention in my garage! i just want to know if its possible and maybe get a nudge in the right direction

-Phil
    Short Answer : No.

Med Short answer... nothing from another bike is a straight bolt on option, but you could always have a swinger of sometype modified by someone else.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Someone on here just posted a few weeks ago that he had a 180 on his bike. Maybe shoot him a private message and ask how its working.
      KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
      and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Comment

Originally posted by parkze View Post
        Someone on here just posted a few weeks ago that he had a 180 on his bike. Maybe shoot him a private message and ask how its working.
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99931
        Yeah, that is in reference to a post Kat.. (98+ katana) and they come with 4.5" rimes. The 180 is still too large for that rim even.

This post is about...

have a 1995 katana 600.
        and that comes with a 3.5" rim. The rim is 2" too narrow to fit a 180 tire.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

As Kreylin says there is no bolt on swingarm that will take a 5.5 rim & 180 tyre

Getting the wheel & tyre in there with a swingarm change can be done but its far from a bolt on job, some cutting & welding it is needed if you want your suspension to work as it should
          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

I had a 1992 kat 750 that had a 180/55/17, dunlop d208 when i bought it.

A 180 will without a doubt fit no problem on the above listed bike with zero modifications.

HOWEVER. Bike was extremely scary in the turns and the straights. 1 month later I parked it, found kr and realized the mistake. the tire almost forms a mushroom shape.

DO NOT DO IT. But it is possible.

I totally understand the just because i feel like it with doing things.

Why do you want to do it? The look? because a 180 on a my old kat was just as wide as a 150 z6's, due to deformation of the 180.

It definately can't be cost why your going that route, you can pick up a set for that cost in the appropriate sizes.

And i know it definately isn't because of power nor desire for increased handling.

with a 180 the actual tread becomes the sidewall of the tires, and the real sidewalls are perpendicular to the rim.

We can provide you will all the info you need, but in the end you will be making the decisions and live with the result.

You can see the deformation from these pics (i had better, but lost them):

And I know i have mad ms paint skills, but here is my take on how the 180 compares to a 150. ( i could be off on tire sizes, it has been a while since the kat....man i wish i had a pick of that 180 once i cut it off with a grinder.)

Last edited by BarMatt80; 07-30-2009, 06:05 PM.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

It does fit. Had a 180 55 on my pre kat factory rim. Changed it because you absolutely can not get into corners with it! The tire flattens out and simply doesn't have enough radius. I put a 160 60 on it with a 110 70 in front, and it's beautiful in corners! Both are the 006 Shinko's. I drag a knee when I can and I'd drag elbows if physics would allow it!\

And the bike would dance everywhere in the straights and scare the crap out of you in the corners with the 180 55. DON'T DO IT!! Plz take the advise! If you're wanting the look, put a wider wheel, swingarm, and then maybe a 180. But don't do it on factory rims
              Last edited by smokintalon; 07-30-2009, 09:57 PM.
              But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Mat 10:33

Comment

i totaly agree i wasnt thinking about stock wheel and 180! so you are saying a 160 will safly fit? i think i saw 140 came stock my bike has a worn 150 on it. 160 i can deal with

Comment

i totaly agree i wasnt thinking about stock wheel and 180! so you are saying a 160 will safly fit? i think i saw 140 came stock my bike has a worn 150 on it. 160 i can deal with
                  160 is too large for the rim as well.

See this thread...

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
                  and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

I run a 160/60/17 shinko 009R on the rear of my pre kat and a 120/60/17 shinko 009R on the front and it handles like its on rails...and i am running the stock pre kat rear wheel and it works just fine...looks good to
                    Speeding Wont Kill You,Whatever Stops You Will

My Build
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114501

Comment

Originally posted by Kattie View Post
                      I run a 160/60/17 shinko 009R on the rear of my pre kat and a 120/60/17 shinko 009R on the front and it handles like its on rails...and i am running the stock pre kat rear wheel and it works just fine...looks good to
                      Just imagine how it would handle with the right sized tire...

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        Just imagine how it would handle with the right sized tire...
                        +1
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

yeah... generally you're good to go 1 size larger than stock. the pre's came stock with 140's, so you can go up to a 150 and be perfectly fine. post kats can run 160's however. if you really wanted to run a larger tire, and have it not be a horrible horrible idea, you'd have to modify the swing arm and get a larger rim. it's difficult, but not impossible.
                          2004 Katana
                          GO OWLS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SilentTJ View Post
                            yeah... generally you're good to go 1 size larger than stock. the pre's came stock with 140's, so you can go up to a 150 and be perfectly fine. post kats can run 160's however. if you really wanted to run a larger tire, and have it not be a horrible horrible idea, you'd have to modify the swing arm and get a larger rim. it's difficult, but not impossible.
                            You can bolt up a 4.5" rim in the pre Kats without changing the swinger. Minor mods for spacers, etc maybe... but nothing really big.

There are even several models of pre styled spoke, 4.5" rims from other bikes out there. Early Bandits, 88ish GSXRs, some RFs... etc. I'm not saying don't put a larger tire on it.. I'm just saying put the right sized tire on the right sized rim is all...

BTW, and example rim.. this one is mislabled... and is a 4.5 rim...

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by SilentTJ View Post
                              stock pre98 kat 750's came with 150 in the rear.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Working...
                              X