X

Riding in a torrential downpour tonight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding in a torrential downpour tonight

I rode to work this morning, nice and sunny, low 70's. Perfect morning for a ride. I knew there was a chance of Tstorms and Rain showers this evening but only a 50% chance. The way the weather has been lately they call for a chance of rain almost every day but it rarely does anything but stay nice and warm out.

Riding home today it was nice and dry and sunny and then almost instantly it was like a monsoon ! Huge, fat, raindrops, wind blowing like crazy, traffic slowing to a crawl and there I am riding along just have a good ole time Could barely see more than 30 ft in front of me and passing oncoming riders who also got caught in this storm. Puddles of standing water filled with oil and grease from the road since it just started raining.... And of course after I get home, and about 10 minutes pass it stops raining and all the sun peeks out again

After not being able to ride for almost 2 weeks waiting for my oil pan to come in and then getting a chance to put it on..it was worth every minute of getting soaked

Hey, you're not a real rider if you let rain keep you from riding, right
    Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

man i have been riding for over 35 year and still today i hate rain. seam like thats when the nuts that cant drive come out

Comment

And my gear needed washed anyways so the rain saved me the hassle of putting it in the washer

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
          And my gear needed washed anyways so the rain saved me the hassle of putting it in the washer
          lazy....
          and I like riding in the rain
          maybe I'm weird?
          Live and Lean.
          When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
          "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
          Romans 3:23

Comment

Yeah the first few minutes of rain make the road extremely slippery. Betcha the Kat could use a cleaning now.

Comment

the rain i don't mind. what i do mind is the puddles that come with it in the city. sometimes it comes down so fast and hard that the drains can't keep up.
              I was at the dealers once when that happened. I was in jeans and a joe rocket textile. it let up enough that I could leave...almost done really. only thing really getting wet was my feet. I was thinking, "whew". then it happened. one of those big puddles I was talking about. the car in the left lane was just in front of me....i was maybe a bike length from his rear tire. he hit that huge puddle and i was drenched in a second. i mean it was baaaad. i had my visor cracked open just a bit cuz i was fogging up....and I took some of it in my mouth....and it was running down my face. I don't even think much of my back was dry cuz it rolled off my helmet and down my neck. the crotch, hands, chest...all of it. It taught me to zip my coat all the way up when in that situation. it was bad enough that everyone around me was looking at me at the lights. there were probably thinking, "that poor bastard".....when I am thinking, "awwwww man...wtf?? shit!" that was the most miserable ride home I have ever had.

so country rain....no prob....i can deal with that. but here in town.....with the slow drains.....screw that in heavy rain.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Re: Riding in a torrential downpour tonight

Originally posted by WildKat
                After not being able to ride for almost 2 weeks waiting for my oil pan to come in and then getting a chance to put it on..
                So, did you go to the Fumoto valve?

Curious
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Say , remember last year at the rally when I had to borrow your extra shoes because my boots were soaked from the remnants of hurrican Dennis ? It rained like what you described the ENTIRE trip down there . Jim hit it , too .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

So far I haven't had the chance to ride in the rain ... I want to learn to though

Originally posted by Mojoe
                    what i do mind is the puddles that come with it in the city. sometimes it comes down so fast and hard that the drains can't keep up.
                    There's been times (before I got my bike) that it rained and since our city is pretty crappy on drains, that it floods the streets almost everytime it rains. Down one of the roads near my apt complex, it's a 5 lane road (2 each way and a middle turn lane) and it's gotten to the point where both right lanes are flooded and half of the left lane flooded on both sides So that leaves half the left lane and the middle lane unflooded

Comment

samr thing happened to me last fall, I was fine with it until my boxers started to get wet and cold then it wasn't fun at all.

stupid stupid rain

Comment

I rode in the rain for the first time this past Saturday. It was thundering an lightning also. It was 1 am so hardly any cars on the highway though.
                        My Every Move Is A Calculated Step............

*~*~*~*KNIGHTRIDERS*~*~*~*

Comment

For me riding in the rain sux for about 2 minutes, once your soaked through it doesnt really matter anymore. All that grease that the rain brings out for the first little bit is the worst part.

When the grease is washed away things are golden, especially if youve got your rainsuit handy riding in the rain can be fun.

Comment

Working...
                          X