Installed a 14 Tooth Front Sprocket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed a 14 Tooth Front Sprocket

Hi All,

After reading other peoples comments on installing a new front sprocket, I decided to dive into a 14 tooth front sprocket replacement for '04 750 Katana. The following is my experience with this 'upgrade' and it's my hope this will make or break a decision to install a lower tooth count front sprocket. Unlike the K&N filter, installation was tough and took me 3 hours of fiddling around. I had to use muscles that haven't seen an honest days work in years. The end result is that I had to take off the fairing on the left side of the bike to get my impact gun into the right position to remove sprocket nut. However, I did managed to do it and get the chain back on. I want to thank Tim (a.k.a. Trinc) for supplying the instructions, which can be found here....

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Note: If you plan to do the install yourself, use Loctite (or equivalent) when reinstalling the sprocket nut.

Now, I want to preface with this is that my expectations were tempered with scepticism about the difference the re-sprocketing would make. I felt that many of the comments made regarding the modification were hyperbole. After installing and trying it out the I must admit that my suspicions were correct but only in a very small sense. Like in previous reviews, I did not engage in any detailed analysis, hard number comparison or use any scientific methodology.

My full test compliment encompassed about 250km of riding on highway and street settings. The test day was a great day for a ride, with the temperature around 21 degrees Celsius (about 72 degrees Fahrenheit) and with lots of sun. I decided I would ride around for while to get use to the bike and warm it up to its operating temperature. I was careful not to apply much throttle as I was expecting a dramatically different bike. I did sense that the machine was itching to go but was still well behaved like all other Katanas.

The first series of test was to note the changes in acceleration. I eased into this test as I didn't want to get thrown off and find out how bad our Canadian medical system really is. Anyway, I felt an immediate difference on how the bike accelerated from a full stop. Prior to the install, the Kat always felt as little asthmatic when launching. However, with the new sprocket in place I felt the bike was more responsive to my throttle twisting and I launched with excellent results. It was crisper and assertive, with the front of my bike lifting up as I tached up the Kat. However, there seemed to be no risk for an undesired wheelie. I can say without much exaggeration that you will shave nearly a half second off your quarter mile, if such is your desire.

Top gear roll-on power was improved and I was able to hit the 130kph (80mph) mark faster than before the stock setup and K&N install. The bike was able to propel itself quickly and I found myself in the powerband faster. I was able to pull the bike up to 160kph (100mph) with less effort and there was better pull to 190kph (115mph). However, I was only able to take the bike to 215kph (135mph), which was at least 8kph (5mph) slower than my previous top speed. The tachometer was reading 11.3k at this point so I knew that I've reached my limit and that I've lost some top end. Nonetheless, this drop in speed was less than anticipated so I was satisfied with the outcome.

As for gas consumption, it actually improved according to my calculations. There is, however, an explanation for this. Firstly, I had my Speedohealer setup to compensate for the +7.14% over-reporting for the new sprocket. That means the odometer is now over-reporting by a significant amount as these meters are calibrated to be accurate in a stock setup. Secondly, I'm not gunning the throttle to pull the Kat to speed as I did before the upgrade, which helps keep the over throttling to a minimum. Based on my observations, people that do a lot of highway riding will see a drop in mileage but people that do in town riding will not see a noticeable difference.

Note: Once you compensate for the resprocketing (e.g. install a Speedohealer), your tachometer will be +7.14% higher at the same speed prior to the install (e.g. 5,000 RPM pre-install versus 5,350 RPM post install).

As an additional side benefit, the handling of my bike improved in the turns. Well, that's not precisely true but the fact is that I can now avoid gearing down to 1st gear when making turns. I can keep the bike in 2nd gear (or even 3rd gear) and still power out of a turn with ease. There is a need to struggle to get the bike in 1st gear and sometimes accidentally putting it in neutral. This made the bike more responsive in the twists and turns, which is a big plus in my book.

Verdict: Despite my initial scepticism, this upgrade is a must have (or must do). With better acceleration and in-town low-end performance (at a small cost in top-end speed) the 14 tooth front sprocket is probably the best upgrade for under $100. You avoid the more costlier and more temperamental tuning issues of a jet kit, without significant sacrifice. You'll also find you will be making your turns easier and more consistent as well.

PS: As usual, please excuse the bad grammer and syntax. It's been a long day and I'm usually too lazy to recheck my work anyway.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

What were the parameters you used for setting up your SpeedoHealer?

You have the same setup I have....14 front, 45 back......

Did you have a way to check the accuracy after the SpeedoHealer install?

So, the total error is about +15%? (8.3% stock error + 7% sprocket change error)
    Trust me, I'm a doctor!

Comment

Thanks for the report. I have considered this upgrade but havent done it due to not wanting my speedo to be off any more than it is. How does the spedo healer work? easy install? how much?

Comment

Originally posted by blackkat98
        What were the parameters you used for setting up your SpeedoHealer?

You have the same setup I have....14 front, 45 back......

Did you have a way to check the accuracy after the SpeedoHealer install?

So, the total error is about +15%? (8.3% stock error + 7% sprocket change error)
        My stock setup was 15 front and 47 on the back. Once I installed the sprocket, I used a on-line RPM/speed calculator to see what the impact would be. Everything was calculated so I'm counting on my math to be correct.

Yes, total error would be about +15% too high, assuming moderate tire wear.
        "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

ok, our sprocket ratio math will be different but how did you arrive at +8.3% stock speedo error???
          Trust me, I'm a doctor!

Comment

Originally posted by 01blewkat
            Thanks for the report. I have considered this upgrade but havent done it due to not wanting my speedo to be off any more than it is. How does the spedo healer work? easy install? how much?
            The Speedohealer works as a plugin between the speed sensor and dashboard. It automatically calculates the speed based on your setup value using 32 bit real-time signal processing. It's very easy to install. You decouple the speed sensor and plug in the Speedohealer between the connections. You'll have to pop the top bolts for your fairing to access the wiring. If decide to purchase one, I'll help you out if it's necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by blackkat98
              ok, our sprocket ratio math will be different but how did you arrive at +8.3% stock speedo error???
              That's what the GPS indicated owned by a friend. Other sources cite +8.5% (e.g. Cyberpoet) but that's close enough to the +8.3% we obtained.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts and writeup with your experience. Nicely done.

This is a mod I'll be doing over the winter months this year. I'd do it now but I barely have enough time to change the oil these days and still get some riding in with the way work is.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                  Thanks for the thoughts and writeup with your experience. Nicely done.

This is a mod I'll be doing over the winter months this year. I'd do it now but I barely have enough time to change the oil these days and still get some riding in with the way work is.
                  Buy the parts and bring them to the Gap . We'll pound it out in a couple hours , I'm sure . Just the front sprocket , it'd probably only be about an hour . I'll work on it while you cook me a steak .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I'm thinking about going up one tooth on the front sprocket, that would put me pretty close to accurate right?

I'm doing this because I want to be at lower RPMs on longer freeway trips, and all out mad accel isn't what's important to me
                    Live and Lean.
                    When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                    "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                    Romans 3:23

Comment

Originally posted by TheKlic
                      I'm thinking about going up one tooth on the front sprocket, that would put me pretty close to accurate right?

I'm doing this because I want to be at lower RPMs on longer freeway trips, and all out mad accel isn't what's important to me
                      Logically, that would have the opposite impact to your bike as would decreasing the front sprocket tooth count. You speedometer will be roughly accurate but your odometer will be over-reporting your mileage.

Comment

I told you so!
                        "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic

Logically, that would have the opposite impact to your bike as would decreasing the front sprocket tooth count. You speedometer will be roughly accurate but your odometer will be over-reporting your mileage.
                          Hrmm... i partially disagree. I would think that going up one tooth in the front should make you odometer UNDER-report mileage.
                          I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                          http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

I need to do a sprocket change on mine as well, but the front is already 14 tooth. so I have to go up in the rear instead. and I am glad I don't have to worry about any speedo errors. my speedo drives of the front wheel. I can do what I want with my gearing and not effect the speedo.....which is wayyyy cool. not that it matters, my speedo doesn't work anyway. gotta get around to putting the new one on.

and why do you say loc-tite is a must? dont you have a washer behind it with a tab that you flip over against the nut so it holds it in place? you should have.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by skasner
                              Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic

Hrmm... i partially disagree. I would think that going up one tooth in the front should make you odometer UNDER-report mileage.

Ahhh...
                              Because the rotation of the front sprocket is increased while travelling at a slower actual speed,
                              the odometer reading would display more miles accumulated than actually travelled.

Likewise the indicated MPH is higher than actual as well.
                              "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Working...
                              X