X

A different option for turn signals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different option for turn signals

So spring is almost here after messing around painting the bracket I had before for my signals..knowing it was too big but still didnt look bad (fit under a pre98 tail well, but not a 98+ as it stuck outside of the tail fairings) , I figured I'd try my hand at making a new one that fit better..with the help of my FIL who is a welder and has access to more tools and supplies than I do.

Anyhow, we made a template out of aluminum sheet metal because it was very easy to cut and bend. We made the intial design which turned out very well and we're gonna work on making the completed piece later this week some evening. But anyhow, we were looking at the turn signals and thought ; Hey what about instead of having them point "out" on either side of the bracket like normal if we had them pointing down, one on each side of the license plate ? I took a couple pics with my camera phone on the spur of the moment so forgive so quality of them but you can get the idea. I dont think I'll have problems with clearance between the bottom of the signal and the tire, even riding 2 up. Gimme your thoughts and see what you think. I didnt have the short stalks with me so the pics show the standard katana signals; the short stalks will look much better because they are smaller.

First pic is how it looked originally when I chopped the shovel and put on the bracket before. You can see where the bracket itself sticks out past the fairings.

The next 2 pics show the idea I mentioned, again forgive the camera phone quality..

I think it'll look pretty nifty, and it's definitely something different.

It's also pretty cool that your father-in-law is helping you out; I guess you really can bond with in-laws.

Comment

It's definately unique and not something you see every day. Im 100% sure Im sold on that design quite yet so we'll see. One thing is if I do it this way, instead of the bolts holding on the signals to the bracket being hiddlen behind the plate they'll be sticking out the top which might look alittle dumb unless i have him make some caps for the bolt and nut.

Comment

hmm interesting would like to see a pic from the rear

Comment

Personaly I don't think it will look that good.
          Now if you where to mount LED strips there it might look Nice.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Zuki that sounds like a cool idea.

Comment

He cool! I'm a squid now.

Comment

Yeah the LED's would look hot..but right now all I have are the stock and the short stalks so once I get the bracket finished later this week hopefully, I'll post up pics before I mount it and see what you all think.

Im looking to do something alittle unique, something you dont see everyday I just need to verify there arent any laws in PA against the signals hanging like that, verify the clearance to the tire and then see how it works and if I like the look once they are installed.

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred
                  Personaly I don't think it will look that good.
                  Now if you where to mount LED strips there it might look Nice.
                  Wasn't the whole idea to do something different? If so, then LED's are not the way to go as LED turnsignals are all over the place.

If the intent is just to shrink the lateral profile of the bike, then LED's would be a great option and ZukiFred is right on the money.

Comment

It's new/different, but I think the stalks look weird like that. Could you somehow fasten flushmounts to the plate in the same fashion?
                    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Sorry Matt. I'll reserve final judment for now (bad pics, and the larger stock signals), but I don't really see how that's going to look very good IMHO.

Comment

Instead of caps, you could cut the bracket to cover the nuts and wires. It'd still look fairly "stock". I would think, however, if you're going to do it that way, then LED strips would be the way to go. Targa has a set like that already, but they are a sinngle line of LEDs. I bet you could get MIBagentQ to put together a 2 line set that would be bright as heck. All you'd have to do then is waterproof them.

Just my opinion. Take it as you will...
                        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                        -Terence

Comment

I think the short stalks will look alot better than the stock ones for sure since they are about half the size.

Im tossing around the idea about LED's too, it would definately look pretty sweet. Maybe while Im at it, I'll line the underside of the tail with LED's too

Comment

Matt...looks stupid

Comment

just get a plate cover with lights in it

Comment

Working...
                              X