Running rough and wont stay running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running rough and wont stay running

Hey guys,

I just got my 03 kat 600. The dealership did a tune up with new brake pads, plugs, and a new front tire.

It rode fine home (2miles) and rode fine yesterday in the driveway. Today I was out riding in the parking lot behind my house for about an hour, just practicing back and forth. And then it started running rough and would die. Now I can start it up by giving it some gas but it idle's really rough and dies within a few secs.

What gives? Plenty of fuel in the tank, switch is on "ON", did the dealer screw up the tune up?

Bike has 14000 miles on it.

I've going to let the bike cool down and check it out again. Me thinks its something to do with the heat. Yesterday was 40degrees and it was ran very minimally, today it was 70 and ran for an hour.

Comment

take it back to them to fix it!

Comment

well they closed 30mins ago right after it started happening so I gotta wait till morning, just want to make sure its nothing I have done or could simply fix.

there also gonna have to come pick it up and I dont want to have to take a day off of work for their screw up.

Comment

All slow speed riding for an extended period of time? Might have fouled a plug perhaps.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

whats slow? average speed would prolly be 20-30mph.

I just went out and tried it, it was still doing it, tried the different positions on the fuel pecock, tried opening the tank (did a search on idle problems and that was a suggestion) nothing helped. I poped it up on the center stand and used the throttle to keep it alive and it cleared up. I rode it for about 10mins and it was fine.

Maybe I fouled a plug and the revving cleared it up? or maybe just a hiccup.

Maybe its just trying to show me whos boss.

Comment

Switch it to prime.. Maybe the vac line came off the petcock... Did you get gas in a shady gas station? Possibly water? Up the idle? Possibly a clogged fuel filter or crimped hose?

Just some ideas.
              1996 Katana - Sold
              2000 YZF600R - Killed by little old lady
              2006 Tacoma - Faster then the lawn mower

Fish are safer then senior citizens : )

Comment

Originally posted by 87vert
                whats slow? average speed would prolly be 20-30mph.

I just went out and tried it, it was still doing it, tried the different positions on the fuel pecock, tried opening the tank (did a search on idle problems and that was a suggestion) nothing helped. I poped it up on the center stand and used the throttle to keep it alive and it cleared up. I rode it for about 10mins and it was fine.

Maybe I fouled a plug and the revving cleared it up? or maybe just a hiccup.

Maybe its just trying to show me whos boss.
                Could be. Try adding some techron with your next tank of fuel to see if that helps it at all.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by MXG286
                  Switch it to prime.. Maybe the vac line came off the petcock... Did you get gas in a shady gas station? Possibly water? Up the idle? Possibly a clogged fuel filter or crimped hose?

Just some ideas.
                  the gas came from the dealership it had half a tank when I first looked at it and they filled it up for me after doing the service.

Comment

Sure SOUNDS lie a fouled plug . Especially with the clearing up with throttle part . Mine does that quite a bit . But WHY did it foul a plug .....
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

the dealership just put new plugs in monday before I picked it up. Maybe one is a dud

Comment

its doing it again, me thinks its running rich, I can really smell the fuel and after trying to get it to run for a couple mins it wont start now. Going to call the dealership again.

Comment

Or maybe they didn't plug one of the boots in tight enough .....
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I just spoke with the dealer, they say its probably bad gas, I guess it was sitting for a couple months and when I bought it they just topped it off.

I'm going to drain the gas and check the plugs / boots on the next nice day.

Should I replace the fuel filter while I'm at it? No idea when it was last replaced

Comment

now it wont start at all. Ordered the iridium plugs and going to try some seafoam to clean out the carbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X