Recommendations for Long Distance Touring systems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for Long Distance Touring systems

Hey All,

I just accepted a position out in tulsa, OK and will need to relocate from central Virginia. I am looking at driving the bike out (one up) in the next month so I can enjoy the weather and take in the sights. Looking at my current bags, I realize I need a much greater capacity and want to get a full set of soft / modular touring bags. Tail Bag, Saddle, and Tank. I dont really like the look of the roll type bags, but would be willing to consider them if enough people have had good experiences.

I will need to carry my laptop and general accessories that I keep in my backpack, but I hate riding with this for long distances. I also will obviously need to carry changes of clothing, and the other asundry equipment a long haul requires.

I have been partial to Nelson-Rigg in the past, but they seem to be on the smaller side. I also am wanting to keep with one manufacturer so the bags will be interchangable/configurable depending on what I need for a specific trip when I am driving across all parts of oklahoma and the central US.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a single vendor which would provide me with a decent capacity and durability?

Suggestions?
    ~Neil

Well , something with locks would be good . Here's what I'd think about ......
    I got some Nelson Rigg bags . They CAN hold quite a bit when expanded , and I have quite a few miles on mine . They're showing some wear , but I ALWAYS have them on , so ..... A luggage rack that you can bolt a hard case to to secure the priceier bits (JC Whtiney has a lockable tunrk for around $50-$80) , and then a tail pack and tank bag . The pc would need extra care I'd bet , though ....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Comment

And you STILL ogt room for the luggage rack and trunk !
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

What about this idea? I liked the looks of them, and if they are big enough to hold a helmet, they should hold quite a bit of stuff.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I recieved Bear saddle bgas for Xmas and I have used them about 12 times this summer. They expand, they came with lots of tie downs and rain protectors. The GF and I went on a weekend trip and SHE packed they to capasity weighing about 35-40 lbs. She packed shoes, hair dryer (don't ask), books ets. The bags held up great all summer and they also follow the lines of the bike. Next on the list is a Bear tank bag

Comment

Working...
            X