X

New petcock having issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New petcock having issues

I wasn't able to see if anyone has had this happen in the search so I though I'd ask for a little help. I have a brand new petcock, in a fresh POR-15 treated tank ,with fresh gas... Check

Now the bike runs perfect on prime, when I turn it to on gas just trickles out. It's almost like the vacuum is weak from the carb. Eventually It will just starve itself of gas.

Carbs are completely cleaned and rebuilt no complaints. My only though is that the petcock wasn't assembled correctly. Also that the hose was clogged but I already checked that. Also made sure I had the vacuum diaphragm o-ring installed on carb #4.

So my question would be has this happened to anyone before? Or any ideas I'm overlooking?
    sigpic
    1994 GSX600

Originally posted by dta View Post
    I wasn't able to see if anyone has had this happen in the search so I though I'd ask for a little help. I have a brand new petcock, in a fresh POR-15 treated tank ,with fresh gas... Check

Now the bike runs perfect on prime, when I turn it to on gas just trickles out. It's almost like the vacuum is weak from the carb. Eventually It will just starve itself of gas.

Carbs are completely cleaned and rebuilt no complaints. My only though is that the petcock wasn't assembled correctly. Also that the hose was clogged but I already checked that. Also made sure I had the vacuum diaphragm o-ring installed on carb #4.

So my question would be has this happened to anyone before? Or any ideas I'm overlooking?
    First step is to rule out the vacuum from the engine as an issue or if it's the petcock.

Pull the fuel line and put another line on the petcock that runs into a catch container. Pull the vacuum line off the carb, and then apply suction on the hose. Fold a kink into the vacuum line (to keep that vacuum pressure) and you should see fuel flowing and keep flowing full volume for at least 1 min.

If it's not flowing properly ever, definately an issue inside. If it flows fine only when your applying suction but won't keep flowing after you kink the line... you have a leak somewhere. Either the vacuum line or the petcock diaphram.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

listen to kreylyn... hes a katana jedi

Comment

Originally posted by remykimes View Post
        listen to kreylyn... hes a katana jedi
        AND he's got good advice...

My one exception to Krey's post would be the idea that a decreasing flow with the vacuum line pinched could just as easily be because you don't have enough of a seal in the pinched line. The whole human factor thing, you know...
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Krey does. Hes helped me a ton of times while searching for stuff.

Did what you said, also have another brand new line I threw on just for giggles. Still doing it so looks like it's the diaphragm. Thanks guys
          sigpic
          1994 GSX600

Comment

Originally posted by dta View Post
            Krey does. Hes helped me a ton of times while searching for stuff.

Did what you said, also have another brand new line I threw on just for giggles. Still doing it so looks like it's the diaphragm. Thanks guys

If you open up things in there, done rule out other possible issues. Wrong/incorrectly sitting spring behind the diaphram, improperly installed selector internal on the other side, etc... but a hole in the diaphram would definately cause a similiar issue.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have a 1994 gsx750f
              Just bought a new battery
              Got it started but it's not idling
              I primed the gas lines and then put the tank back on
              It started but was @ like 5k rpm ?
              Then it died the petcock won't feed it gas

Comment

Originally posted by Riffraph802 View Post
                I have a 1994 gsx750f
                Just bought a new battery
                Got it started but it's not idling
                I primed the gas lines and then put the tank back on
                It started but was @ like 5k rpm ?
                Then it died the petcock won't feed it gas

Did you have the vacuum line on the petcock with the other end properly connected to the carbs?

If yes, then clean/repair/rebuild your petcock.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

i am having the same problem that DTA is but I am unable to follow kreylyn's instructions can someone dumb this down a little for me please. Thank you.
                  i can do all things with christ who strenghtens me

Comment

Originally posted by listoa69 View Post
                    i am having the same problem that DTA is but I am unable to follow kreylyn's instructions can someone dumb this down a little for me please. Thank you.
                    If you remove the gas tank from the bike, it might be easier to see and understand. If you have the tank removed, then here is some info to read up on how things work...

The petcock info... http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Petcock

Rebuild the Petcock... http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96553

Hose connections... http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...se_Connections

Read all that... and you should have a clear understanding of how things work, and make sense of the instructions at that point.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                    X