X

Idle Screw Adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Screw Adjustment

So I've been playing around with different carb settings, basically leaving the idle screw where it is due to the incredibly time consuming process of playing with it. My question for you guys: Does anyone have tips on an easy way of playing around with the screw and quickly getting it back on the road to test? Or am I stuck with the mind numbing process of ride, tank off, battery bracket off, air box, throttle cable, choke cable, pull from engine, adjust, reassemble, repeat?

To adjust the idle screw? I just jam my hand through the fairing.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

no, there is a 90 degree screw driver just for that.

Comment

So you are both talking about the A/F screws then?
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

If you're talking about what Arsenic and I think you're talking about, you want one of these:
          Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

that motion pro one is kind of expensive, this one is cheaper, I have that one, it's fine.

Comment

Yes! You guys are awesome. That's perfect. I apologize steves, I should have been more clear. I meant the idle mixture screw.

Comment

IMO, when adjusting your pilot screws, best results are obtained when balancing your carbs, and you'll probably want to consider getting some cheap test equipment to help make the adjustment.

Consider a Gunnison "Colortune" spark plug and the Morgan Carb Tune:

Carbtune motorcycle carburetor synchronizers;polycarbonate tool pouchs;for motorcyclists

A little time consuming, but the things work pretty well. I've tweaked lots of four bangers with the colortune plug and a manometer.

KLR

Comment

the colortune is awesome. If you search ebay search gunnison colortune, morgan makes the same exact thing, but the gunnison one is US made and they are on ebay.

Comment

I have been watching a few colortune's on ebay. Are they easy to use on the head of a 750 Katana?

Comment

I haven't tried them on the Kat yet, mine is only 200 miles or so "old". If the weather clears, I'll be doing it next weekend at the first service mileage.

But, I've looked at the valve adjustment how-to pics, and appears there are no obstructions to using them - no frame member directly over the plugs, should be easy.

KLR

Comment

yeah it's easy.

Comment

I have been watching a few on Ebay but was too chicken to buy them for the clearance reason. I'll wait for a while longer.

Comment

Working...
                          X