X

Carbs work in progress but still need help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs work in progress but still need help

I made one of those homemade synchronizers with the glass jars and o hooked it up and its working great..... But the two outside jars are full and the two inside jars are empty. Help me solve the mystery of the on going carb problem and I'll drink a beer for you. If it's better that we talk over the phone I will pm you my number. I just fixed the front fork seal so I'm not that retarded bit I'm still in need of some carb help. Thanks again ladies and gents
    '01 600 Kat w/ Vance and Hines Pipe

Are you saying the engine sucked the liquid out of the inside jars?
    If so, you didn't seal the jars.
    Another reason the gauges are better than the jars (IMO).

Comment

It could be that the synch butterfly valve settings are way off and there's just a big vacuum difference between the inside and outside, or that (like GregS said) the empty ones aren't sealed well enough. One way to find out is to plug different jars into different vacuum ports to see if it's the vacuum or the jars that's the problem

Comment

They are all nicely sealed. So my next question would be how do I successfully fix my carbs. And I answer your question Greg, the fluid went from one jar tk the other jar

Comment

Was the bike running okay before trying to synch? Or did you just rebuild the carbs or something? If the carbs just had work done to them, they need to be bench-synched first... which basically means that you just eyeball the butterfly valve adjustments (the screw between carbs). Then you do the synchronization with a vacuum tool to fine tune it. You know which screws to turn to adjust the vacuum/butterfly-valves right?

It's the screws like the one in shadow here right in the center of the pic
          Last edited by foxox; 05-01-2011, 05:39 PM. Reason: changed pic to a version with the highlighting

Comment

Try swapping the tubes anyway to check.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I will solve your sync problem. Go buy a Morgan Carb Tune.

Comment

I'm still learning the carbs world. I'll do the bench synch tomorrow after work to start from there. Anything else I should know? Again, thanks guys....

Comment

Originally posted by usmckatana View Post
                  I'm still learning the carbs world. I'll do the bench synch tomorrow after work to start from there. Anything else I should know? Again, thanks guys....
                  So then you did do carb work? Bench synchronization only needs to be done if the carbs were like taken apart or if you suspect the adjustment screws are waaaaay off. As long as the bike runs at all, you can probably go right for regular synchronization with a vacuum tool.

When I first synchronized mine, the settings were pretty far off... enough that all of the liquid was getting sucked from one bottle to the other. You just keep adjusting the screw until the liquid goes back over (your tubes should be set up so that it can get sucked back even if all of it goes one way).

One thing you will notice is that while all of the fluid is on one side, air will be going through the tube connecting them, which will make it bubble. If you are using water or oil (or transmission fluid or something like that) it does not matter if a little of it gets sucked into the engine (yeah, even water) due to the bubbling. It IS a major problem if mercury gets sucked in, which is one of the (rare/unlikely) problems with mercury stick vacuum tools. With a bottle manometer, the tubes should be set up so that basically only bubble vapor can get in, if anything.

Here's a thread I made when I made my homemade tool
                  Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                  From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                  this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Comment

Wow... um, okay...

The fact that the fluid flows from one jar to the other... is what tells you that you need to adjust the screws, cause your carbs are out of sync.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                    X