front brake rotors/discs, left & right not interchangeable

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front brake rotors/discs, left & right not interchangeable

Good morning, everybody.

I just purchased a used left front rotor for my '91 600. I didn't see this info in any threads that I perused, so I want to confirm this before I go looking for the second rotor. I was told that the right and left front rotors are NOT interchangeable. Is this correct? Thanks in advance and happy Labor Day weekend
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is not safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    ~ Helen Keller, The Open Door (1927)
    '91 600 purchased in January 2000 with 7,707 miles

Ok, so I figured it out after calling a couple dealerships. The OEM front rotors/discs are NOT interchangeable. EBC front rotors/discs ARE interchangeable, even the ones that resemble OEM the most. Below is the link to EBC North America's online ecatalog. Kats are on page 54.

Last edited by ZephyrNewYork; 08-31-2014, 05:38 PM. Reason: added "N. America's"
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is not safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."

Comment

Originally posted by ZephyrNewYork View Post
      Ok, so I figured it out after calling a couple dealerships. The OEM front rotors/discs are NOT interchangeable. EBC front rotors/discs ARE interchangeable, even the ones that resemble OEM the most. Below is the link to EBC North America's online ecatalog. Kats are on page 54.

http://ebcbrakes.com/Assets/ecatalog...alog.html#p=54

There is no difference in the OEM rotors on the front of 88+ Katana between the sides left or right.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        There is no difference in the OEM rotors on the front of 88+ Katana between the sides left or right.

Krey
        Do my eyes deceive me? The rotor on the left (the front left rotor) has its holes oriented counterclockwise, i.e. The holes appear to spin counterclockwise. On the right rotor, the holes are oriented clockwise, i.e. The holes appear to spin clockwise.
        Attached Files

Comment

Krey
          2 different part numbers as well:

Comment

Let me clarify...

For any and all purposes of use and swap ability, there is absolutely no problem with using either side on either side. There is no difference in size, shape, or mounting. There is no major factor that the slight variance in holes would make to cooling or use.

There might be a different part number, there might be a difference in the hole patterns... none of it make any practical issue for using either side for a replacement.

and it's that reason all aftermarket rotors share the same part number for both sides.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Let me clarify...

For any and all purposes of use and swap ability, there is absolutely no problem with using either side on either side. There is no difference in size, shape, or mounting. There is no major factor that the slight variance in holes would make to cooling or use.

There might be a different part number, there might be a difference in the hole patterns... none of it make any practical issue for using either side for a replacement.

and it's that reason all aftermarket rotors share the same part number for both sides.

Krey
              Krey,

Most, if not all, of the aftermarket rotors that I've seen are identical left and right, i.e. They aren't mirror images like the OEM rotors and are truly interchangeable. This is why they have the same part numbers.

Comment

Krey,

Most, if not all, of the aftermarket rotors that I've seen are identical left and right, i.e. They aren't mirror images like the OEM rotors and are truly interchangeable. This is why they have the same part numbers.

Yes, that's what I just said.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Yes, that's what I just said.

Krey
                  And that's what I typed in the 2nd post of this thread lol. It's great that we understand each other so well :P

Comment

Working...
                  X