X

Better MPG Ideas ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better MPG Ideas ?

I have an '03 GSXF-600. I use it mainly for drive to work and long distance touring. Anyone have thoughts as to how I can seriously improve the mpg?

Stay off the throttle so hard. Also get the carbs cleaned out and a better air filter

DC Born..Maryland Bred

I will never be forgotten. I will only fade as time goes on from your consious thoughts.

Comment

1.. you could do a 250 engine swap...
      or

2.. you could walk,,,... :mrgreen:

mind you i am just joking around... what kind of mileage are you getting now?

Comment

fit a diesel engine
        it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

change your front sprocket to 16 tooth,
          try using a sport touring windshield,
          these 2 mods made a difference on my 750
          sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

(A) Remove any aftermarket jetkits.

(B) Install the Ignition Advancer (won't make a difference in MPG in general, but will make a difference in the speed you get to your cruising speed, which makes a small difference).

(C) Get a smaller rear sprocket and/or a larger front sprocket. Note that this will compromise the acceleration abilities of the bike compared to what you're used to.

(D) Learn to wind it out to 8500 RPM in third - fifth before shifting, to maximize the torque-to-consumption. Shifting too early while still gaining speed will cost you mileage on this bike.

(E) Reduce your top speed. You'll typically get about a 30% fuel-consumption difference between cruising at 65-70 mph vs. cruising at 83-88 mph.

(F) Lube your chain regularly with oil, and replace it & your sprockets if worn. A worn chain/sprocket interface can cost you 15% of your total mileage readily.

(G) Make sure your tire pressures are up to spec at least weekly. If you're running the Z6's or Pirelli's, that's baseline values of 36 psi all around (for a 140 lb rider; more if you weigh more -- 200 lbs will get you 37.5 - 38 at the front, 38.5 - 39 at the rear).

(H) On a newer bike, use an oil with a lower ASTM D-445 rating (which relates to pumping losses moving the oil around); on an older/higher-mileage bike, use a heavier oil to reduce blow-by at the rings.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Avoid bogging the engine. Avoid idling; I don't mean turning the bike off at every light, I mean plan your route so you are in the least traffic, with the fewest lights. Properly fitted gear, so you aren't playing parachute man. Lower speed, my mileage drops to crap above 80. Good plugs, proper valve adjustment, synced carbs.
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Oh, and one that is the same for cars, trucks, motorcycles and anything else that burns chemical fuels -- slow down early for red lights, so you can retain some speed before it turns green. Every mph that you don't shed before rolling through the intersection is an mph you don't have to regain again after the light.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                  Oh, and one that is the same for cars, trucks, motorcycles and anything else that burns chemical fuels -- slow down early for red lights, so you can retain some speed before it turns green. Every mph that you don't shed before rolling through the intersection is an mph you don't have to regain again after the light.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  I will do that in the E350, but it makes me nervous on the bike in traffic.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                    I will do that in the E350, but it makes me nervous on the bike in traffic.
                    I actually find it makes me safer, because it means I have space in front of me if the guy behind me doesn't slow down as well (I do flash the brake light even if I'm decelerating with the gears in traffic); the odds of the guy behind having to slam the brakes and sliding into me decreases the sooner I start to shed speed...

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

X2

It doesn't mean breaking way a head of time just roll off the throttle and slowly downshift into the light. Its also a much calmer ride and keeps me less stressed. That and it is easier on the bike as well.
                      Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

Originally posted by pete325is View Post
                        1.. you could do a 250 engine swap...
                        or

2.. you could walk,,,... :mrgreen:

mind you i am just joking around... what kind of mileage are you getting now?

Walking would probably do me some good.
                        MPG runs in mid 40's on highway.

Not a terrible idea. I have been reading that a 100mpg diesel is being tested on dirt bikes for the Marines. Don't think I'm willing to go quite that far on the Kat.

OK, I've got the sport touring windshield covered. However the sprocket change sounds promising. What kind of mpg change did you get with the sprocket change ?
                        Last edited by qkat; 09-11-2008, 07:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by qkat View Post
                          OK, I've got the sport touring windshield covered. However the sprocket change sounds promising. What kind of mpg change did you get with the sprocket change ?
                          I've been getting over better than 20Km/L (47mpg) since I put on the 16 tooth sproket and ST windshield. Lately I've been riding with the oem windscreen and consumption is still consistently very low.
                          If you decide to install a 16 tooth front sproket make sure you read my thread at http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85938 it will save you some time.
                          sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Working...
                          X