X

Bike temp hotttttt!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike temp hotttttt!

Ok...so i just had my carbs cleaned and synced, new plugs put in, tank and petcock cleaned, and a new air filter put on. My bike seems to be running very very hot now and I even get little bubbles in my oil after riding (kinda like it is boiling up). The rpms will also jump to 2000-2200 when I stop at an interestion even though when the bike is at normal warm up temps it idles perfectly....Honestly not sure what is causing such heating issues. The oil appears to be circulating and I beleive the pump is functioning properly. What are some other signs of a high bike temp and how can I go about correcting this problem? The bike is a 2003 Kat with 14000K on it.
    "There are two types of riders...old riders and crazy riders, but there are no old crazy riders." - Danny

I would double check the plugs first, making sure it's the correct plugs, and proper gap. Would also check for coloration of the plug's ceremic area and also look for defects.
    Last edited by GSXF; 08-30-2008, 03:46 PM.
    sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

as discussed in CB it sounds to be running very lean so i'd go back to your mechanic & have him check the carb settings again
      Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by Jfrantz1802 View Post
        Ok...so i just had my carbs cleaned and synced, new plugs put in, tank and petcock cleaned, and a new air filter put on. My bike seems to be running very very hot now and I even get little bubbles in my oil after riding (kinda like it is boiling up). The rpms will also jump to 2000-2200 when I stop at an interestion even though when the bike is at normal warm up temps it idles perfectly....Honestly not sure what is causing such heating issues. The oil appears to be circulating and I beleive the pump is functioning properly. What are some other signs of a high bike temp and how can I go about correcting this problem? The bike is a 2003 Kat with 14000K on it.
        14000K? CONGRATS DUDE! (now where's that fockin hail-smiley?
        I'd offer the bike to Suzuki sure they will trade it for free for a Stratosphere..

Comment

You mean 14,000 don't you? Check the lean running issue. Also make sure of the oil level.

Comment

Have you taken it back to the guy that did the work yet?

What did he say?

Tmod

Comment

He isnt open on the weekends so I am taking it to him first thing monday. Hopefully Gustav wont reach this part of Louisiana yet so I can actually ride without getting blown off the road or flooded out... Haha yea i 14k was what i meant to put.
              "There are two types of riders...old riders and crazy riders, but there are no old crazy riders." - Danny

Comment

...I even get little bubbles in my oil after riding (kinda like it is boiling up).
                Bubbling oil in the oil-sight window normally means that you have some liquid other than oil in the oil (water, gasoline). This absolutely the case if you are running a JASO-MA certified oil (which, by spec, has a zero froth by itself).

My immediate suspicion is that one of the floats is stuck, one of the float seals is damaged, or the float levels are set wrong, and you're getting fuel into the oil. Fast way to check: drain the airbox drain tube and tell us what & how much comes out.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ok CP I pulled the tube plug and held it down for a good 10min and nothing came out. I am using the Mobil 1 4t racing...the one everyone recommends it seems so yea i wouldnt think there should be frothing. I of course didnt drain the bike completely because i didnt let the oil out of the cooler...soooo the older oil that was still in there could be causing the frothing? The problem is that after i ride the bike for a good bit...hour or so the idle stays at 2000-2200 so im thinking it is running too hot and vaporizing from what I have read. I went out checked the cooler and cleaned it well and another thing I noticed is that if i try to go above 6.5-7k RPMS I get a buzzing which I am not sure if it is bike temp related, but it only seems to do it when I have been riding for a while. Another observation is I am getting a strong scent of gas from the airfilter and near the carbs which I am assuming is them venting...but I am not sure If i should be smelling gas that bad from the airfilter. Side note..i asked the mechanic If I should get a vlave adjustment due to that buzzing and he said the valves sounded fine to him...so maybe its still a synch issue?

Let me know if I can provide any more info for the trouble shooting. I really do appreciate the help guys! Haha I love this bike too much to have it screw up due to some lack of care.

Comment

Is the smell of fuel by the air filter only when it's shut off hot, or when it's still running?

The fact that it's frothing (and Mobil 1 4T is JASO-MA rated) indicates that there is some other fluid in there that shouldn't be, and my initial guess that one of the floats is misbehaving still remains.
                    Q: When you start it from cold, spray the headers with water from a windex bottle -- do they all come up to temp at the same rate, or is one not boiling off the water at the same speed as the others? If one is cold, that will be the one with the issues.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It only really smells like fuel when it is shut off. The pipes all seem to be running the same temp and the mechanic said everything was running great on the bike when he ran it on an analysis machine. I wonder if it is a float issue...also CP i still have to replace those cables so it might be cable related but it still doesnt really explain the bubbles in the oil. Its not from running hot i know that now, but something (prob gas) is getting into the oil somehow.

Comment

It only really smells like fuel when it is shut off.
                        Not an uncommon issue (smell of fuel) when you park a bike hot in the summer... fuel evaporates from the carb bowls and you smell it.

I wonder if it is a float issue...also CP i still have to replace those cables so it might be cable related but it still doesnt really explain the bubbles in the oil. Its not from running hot i know that now, but something (prob gas) is getting into the oil somehow.
                        Is the bubbling gone, or is it still doing it? If it was water (such as condensation), I would expected it to boil off and be gone. Still doing it would imply that it's a repetitive condition (like a float leak).

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Does the oil smell of fuel ? its most likely to be a carb or fuel tap problem if it does
                          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Working...
                          X