X

1972 GT550 Resto Project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 GT550 Resto Project

Hi, folks. Thought I start a thread here, as a sorta blog on the progress I am making on my most recent aquisition, a 1972 Suzuki GT550 drum brake bike.

Posted here and in http://www.suzukiownersclub.co.uk/forum for advise. Got some good suggestions here, but I gotta tell you all, those Brits KNOW their stuff when it comes to old bike resto.

Got these links for electrolysis:

Removed tank, started it with electrolosis rust removal method about three days ago. As of last night, rust still sloughing off tank and sticking to anode, so it's working. Thanks out to TERAYON on http://www.suzukiownersclub.co.uk/fo...ID=41086&TPN=1.
    Still have lots to go on that, but it's heartening that the process works. If it works completly, I am going to try to avoid coating the inside of the tank, I figure if I keep gas in the tank and actually ride the bike occasionally, no water will gather, thus no new rust formed. A clear in-line fuel filter will tell me if we am rust-free.

Got the stuck rings freed up, too! Now, that REALLY got me fired up. Props to another British friend, Rocket2, via this link:

Removed air box (tank already off for electrolysis), carbs- not as badly gummed up as I thought!- and lifted the butt-end of the bike in the air using my engine hoist. Once I got it in about a 45-degree attitude, I began pouring the 50/50 gas/oil mix into the intake ports. I used gasoline bought last year for my lawn mower, and motor oil drained out of my car, so I am also being as environmentally concensious as I can- "Reduce, reuse, recycle." The leftover will be recycled, as the gasoline in the oil will not contaminate the recycle bin oil- it is cleaned up and used as fuel oil, a smithering of gasoline will only make it burn better- but I mixed only what I knew I would need. Left the bike suspended, semi-bat like, for a few hours, then let it down, rolled it back to it's place and let it sit. Decided to remove the exhaust down-pipes, too, to allow access to the front of the pistons/cylinders, so I shot a bit of penetrating oil on the exhaust flange bolts.

48 hours later, returned to it, and the six bolts all started easily. Wow, I thought, I expected them to be frozen in place. Then, one of 'em, after coming out easily for about 3 turns, got a just little stiff, and BROKE OFF! What the heck? Never had that happen to me before. Slightly disgusted with that, I took a break and re-read Rocket2's instructions. Turns out I may not have had to remove exhaust system. Well, it's coming off now, if only to allow me to remove the broken bolt end. Damn and blast, as my Empire friends might say. Back to the free-up, I put the bike in gear, and rocked it forward. Slack was taken up, and then wheel began to slide a little. Rocked it back. Rock forward. Rock back. Forward. Back. Forward. Back- "sput." Forward- "sput." Back- "sput, sput." Forward- Sput, sput...sput." Three! Back: "Sput, sput, sput." Forward- "sput, sput, sput...sput" Yes, yes, YES! In neutral, and a softish lean on the kick starter- "sputsputsputsputsput." It FREE! Wooohoooo! Kicked the starter several times, to celebrate my sucess. Went inside and got Gale to come out and give a listen. She had almost no idea what the big deal was, but when I explained it to her, she was pleased.

Checked the compression- even though it's a wet test- I had aquirted oil in through the spark plug holes, too- and get 135, 130 and 130. Healthy, no? Hope it is not because of the oil in there, which would mean worn rings and a subsequent rebuild, something I am trying to avoid at this point.

Next step- rebuild carbs, remove, clean and reinstall exhaust, check/clean/reset points, and see if it might actually kick off.

Rocket2, on the British site, suggested I get it running first, but I enjoy doing a little clean-up when I only have a few moments, but not enough time to get into mechanical stuff. Actually keeps my enthusasim up on the project, seeing it get prettier and prettier, and if I decide to bail on the project because I don't want to get into more major mechanical stuff (I have the skills and expertiese, but may decide I don't have the time) the bike will look better, thus present better and sell easier and for more money to the next guy, who won't have to do so much cosmetic stuff.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.co.uk/forum is a great source of info, btw, those Brits really know their stuff.

Oh, and I shilled Katriders.com to them, too.
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Cool.
    Those old Suzi GT two strokes are pretty solid I hear.
    Good thing is no valves to worry about!!

I was really interested in building up a GT750
    years ago. There were a few in the Phoenix area
    junk yards.

Comment

I had a Waterbuffalo/ Teapot/ GT750, got it cheap, got it running on all three cylinders, then my then-gf and I split, I was moving out, and found a guy here in Atlanta who paid me three times what I had in it.

In retrospect, I like the GT550 better- the 750 is more of a tourer/sport, the 550 much more sporty. I would not attempt a cross-country tour on such an old, outdated, unreliable bike, but would figure if it broke down 100 miles away from home in the Georgia mountains (or even the Tail of the Dragon!) I could get it home fairly easily. so, I am happier with the 550.

I'll bet it kicks the 750's ass in the mountains, too!
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Interesting that they called the buffalo the "touring" bike!

I think it was due to the weight. It sure wasn't the gas milege.. I was actually thinking of slotting the engine into a good frame. Like a my CB750SS (with a blown out engine) or a little sportbike.
        There was a junk yard in south central phoenix with a shocking number of interesting bikes..

Comment

buddy had a buffalo... love riding that thing.. not a beast by today's standards, but you always get off that bike giggling... too fun.

Comment

---those brits KNOW there stuff---

we sure do!!!!!!

look at tha triumph speed triple -- we built that!!

: still thats the only thing we can be proud of!!
            i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Working...
            X