X

Bike Runs Horrid after K&N

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Runs Horrid after K&N

Bike ran fine before I started replacing the fairings. While i was in there i figured i would replace the air filter with the K&N. Removed the stock air box and put the new filters on. Tried to start the bike and it ran like Garbage! Won't rev out for beans! I have to move the black slide thing up to get it to rev. I checked the diaphram on the top of the carb and one is ripped a bit. Could this cause it to run ****ty like this? Its been jetted from a 17 to a 27 whatever that means. The previous owner did this work to it. It has a D&D exhaust on it too. The air line that goes into the stock box does it need to go to anything?

Possibly useless info: I can get it to rev out by taking the to lines off the top of the carbs and shoving them into the pcv hose.

TAKE THE K&N's off the katanas dont like them at all. Please use the search function.
    Gravity works 100% of the time.

Comment

Yes. Put the airbox back on.

K&N Pod filters are notoriously difficult to tune correctly.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You cannot just remove the airbox, stick a set of K&Ns on & expect the bike to run well! You have leaned the fuel mixture drastically & need to richen up the fuel. A lot of people on here have problems tuning their bikes with individual filters but I don't have a problem with them. I've also been jetting them for 30 years & know what to look for. For an inexperienced tuner it may be difficult. Ray.
        85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

K&N will be hard to tune on any CV (constant velocity) carburetors, such as the ones on your katana unless (and sometimes even if) you're an experienced bike tuner. Admittedly searching for K&N will result with an error (as you must have 4 letters minimum), but you can find threads detailing the issue in the hundreds by searching air filter.
          Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Save yourself the headache and put the stock filter back on.
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Where's "you-know-who" when ya need him? LOL
              THE DOC
              RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
              Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
              mistake when you make it again.
              sigpic

Comment

that sucks!
                sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

Plus the torn diaphragm ain't helping matters any ......
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                    Plus the torn diaphragm ain't helping matters any ......
                    Thank you MD for pointing that out. While the pod K&N's generally will not run as well as the stock box, they will NOT cause the type of run problem mentioned.
                    Read the entire story and you'll find not only a torn diaphragm mentioned but also vacuum lines and breather lines not properly installed.

Comment

i put a K&N inside my stock air box and still had to downsize the airbox opening. wouldn't run below 4k until i did.
                      Carpie Diem!

Comment

Originally posted by rockin6d View Post
                        wouldn't run below 4k until i did.
                        Does this mean it died below 4K? Or did it just not have the power and response as before? Likely it just ran poorly, not what the original post is referring to.
                        Exaggerations like "wouldn't run" are making diagnosis of a problem impossible. If it really "wouldn't run" below 4K then it wouldn't even start since your starter can't turn the engine over at 4K.
                        OK, I'm stepping off the box for now.

Comment

Originally posted by DOCTORNITRO View Post
                          Where's "you-know-who" when ya need him? LOL
                          sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
                            Does this mean it died below 4K? Or did it just not have the power and response as before? Likely it just ran poorly, not what the original post is referring to.
                            Exaggerations like "wouldn't run" are making diagnosis of a problem impossible. If it really "wouldn't run" below 4K then it wouldn't even start since your starter can't turn the engine over at 4K.
                            OK, I'm stepping off the box for now.
                            just like i said wouldn't run below 4k. Give a little throttle, accel pump gives enough gas to start. Either i had to hold the throttle open wide enough to stay above 4k or the engine would die when the fuel mix got to lean to support combustion. If you don't know that starting and running are two different things then go see mr webster. And for future reference I DO say what i mean and mean what i say, this however is not to be confused with being right or wrong, the definition of that difference i leave up to my wife.
                            Carpie Diem!

Comment

Put back the stock airbox. I bought my bike with K&N (runs and idles rough). I replaced it with stock. Performance improved a lot.
                              KATitoy

Comment

Working...
                              X