No announcement yet.
X

HJC Helmets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a quiet helmet for highway riding. I wear earplugs all the time anyways, but have to with the helmet I have now, it is too noisy.
    2007 Honda CBR600rr
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
    sigpic

Comment

yocan get a shoei at wal mart now for like 80 bucks, its a good brand and still in the range....
      02 Suzuki Katana 750
      05 Suzuki Boulevard C 50

If i wanted to hear an a$$hole i would just fart!!!!

sigpic

Comment

I have a HJC CL-SP Osiris helmet. It fits well, but the wind noise is still high IMHO.
        -
        -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by jbea View Post
          Here's my recomendation....don't buy a $100 helmet. It's your head so use it when buying a helmet! I paid $800 for mine and dind't blink an eye about it....wounds heal, but you can't jam your brain back in to your head....
          You're kidding me, right? There is no need to pay $800 to protect your head. Several less expensive helmets have been shown to protect as well as the more expensive ones (wish I could remember where I saw the tests). I paid $150 for my HJC CL-14 3 years ago. I'll by another HJC this year. It's a good helmet. DOT and SNELL are the important factors when buying a helmet, not how much it costs.
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
            You're kidding me, right? There is no need to pay $800 to protect your head. Several less expensive helmets have been shown to protect as well as the more expensive ones (wish I could remember where I saw the tests). I paid $150 for my HJC CL-14 3 years ago. I'll by another HJC this year. It's a good helmet. DOT and SNELL are the important factors when buying a helmet, not how much it costs.
            kinda think he needs to use his head and not but an 800 dollar helmet
            02 Suzuki Katana 750
            05 Suzuki Boulevard C 50

If i wanted to hear an a$$hole i would just fart!!!!

sigpic

Comment

I started with a HJC CL-14 "Amazon" almost 3 years ago. I bought it because it met the DOT/Snell requirements, and it was like $130 delivered.

Not to mention the sexy lady on the back. My wife ended up naming her "Amy", because she had to look at her all the time.

The lid served me well, and especially well on the night of 17 November 2005 when some guy tried to make a right turn in front of me - from the far left lane while I was in the far right lane going 40 mph. When I impacted the passenger side of his Trailblazer, my HJC CL-14 ensconced noggin' took out EVERY window, from the back of his truck to the front, and his passenger side wing mirror... just for good measure. I was transported to the hospital, MRI'd, and diagnosed with a torn ligament in my left shoulder.

That gentleman's insurance company also paid for my honeymoon, and my Katana. 2 years later, the car rental agency where he rented his truck from also wrote me a check for $41,000. Thank you Morgan & Morgan, esq..

Lesson here is that HJC helmets, at only $130 in this case, are good lids. My wife wears an HJC when we go 2 up, and I would gladly own another one. I currently wear a Scorpion EXO-700, because I like the shield mounting system, the price($140 ), and the graphics... I love it. But HJC stuff is WAAAAAAAY OK in my book. DOT is a requirement, but try to find one Snell approved, too. I think there are better certifications than Dot/Snell (ECE 22.05 for instance), but DOT/Snell is what we got...
              Last edited by yellow_kitty_kat; 03-08-2008, 09:18 PM.
              Originally posted by Nero
              "Be the ball, Danny. Be the ball."
              SUPPORT YOUR FORUM: Buy a KR decal!

MY 2001 600 KATANA - Sold... But never forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by jbea View Post
                Here's my recomendation....don't buy a $100 helmet. It's your head so use it when buying a helmet! I paid $800 for mine and dind't blink an eye about it....wounds heal, but you can't jam your brain back in to your head....
                $800 helmet are $250 helmet with a $550 paint job/endorsement deal.

There is a difference between the $100 ones and the $250 range - removable, washable lining, generally better build quality for the visors, etc. But I think it pretty much tops out after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Guiness View Post
                  $800 helmet are $250 helmet with a $550 paint job/endorsement deal.

There is a difference between the $100 ones and the $250 range - removable, washable lining, generally better build quality for the visors, etc. But I think it pretty much tops out after that.
                  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here....please explain to everyone why Shoei is 2-300% more than HJC...if you can, then I will definately go out and buy an HJC and save myself $500 for my next helmet....maybe I'm a bit uneducated in the helmet field. When I bought mine, everyone said that Shoei is the best and the price seemed to reflect it....but I'm open to critisism on my comment, I just need some backing before I agree....

Comment

This is from my understanding of the whole DOT/Snell ratings on helmets and the difference in prices...
                    DOT is a required standard on all helmets in the US...if it doesn't have DOT you can not legally wear it on the street/road/dirt/etc. They are made to this standard with random checks by the government. That is DOT

Snell- A private company that is not affiliated with any helmet companies or government. They conduct their own tests and if the helmet passes it gets Snell approval. They have changed their methods of testing over the years and currently will be doing a different test on helmets that is considered more extensive.

Expensive vs Less expensive--if you have two helmets both pass DOT/Current SNELL but one goes for $600 and the other goes for $150 whats the difference.....Well the safety feature is the same both are DOT/SNELL so from my understanding it's the bells and whistles...the $600 will probably be quieter, better venting, removable liner, easier shield removal, graphics, etc. That is not to say that one is "safer" than the other one because they both were certified by both standards. Also the brand makes a huge difference in price just like anything else...Levis jeans sell in the store for more than $30...Walmart brand heavy denim run $10....both use the same weight of denim and both are sewn in the same factory in Mexico but due to the brand they change price...
                    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Well that seems to be the easiest answer! I am humbled....and ****ed off that I paid so much haha!

But it was a couple years ago so I'm over it....due for a new one soon so I'll have a better knowledge now!

Comment

My last three helmets have been HJC's. Good protection (seen it), good rating (read it), good price (payed for it). I'm pretty sure a more expensive helmet will cut down on wind noise and have better ventilation but I wear plugs all the time and ride in SoCal. I'd most likely buy another one this year but I really like the Nolan Modular w/bluetooth. I think it's $250 which is a pretty good price.

I figure if both helmets (reasonable and expensive) pass the same tests and do the same job, then buy what your wallet allows. But remember: No matter what you're wearing, if you end up going down on it you're going to have to replace it anyway.
                        sigpic

Comment

So, with all that being said....I seen where Yellow Kat currently wears a Scorpion EXO-700; how do you like it? I am looking at that one because I like the graphics....and it's not $800. Currently wear the Arai Profile and that is comfortable and quiet. Anyone else have any input on the EXO?

Comment

Working...
                          X