Intalled a K&N Filter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intalled a K&N Filter

Hi All,

I installed a K&N filter on my '04 750 Katana and want to share my experience with everyone. Hopefully, it may help others in their decision to install the unit or not. Well, installation was fairly straight forward and it was simply a matter of removing the old air filter and replacing with the K&N unit. As an aside, be sure that the supplied gasket is facing into the filter unit as the supplied diagram a little misleading. I used the smaller donut supplied with the K&N kit.

Once installed I started the bike and didn't notice any hesitation but there was a slight idle speed drop. After adjusting the idle speed, I decided to take the bike for a spin. During the previous day's riding I made a mental note of several bike performance characteristics that I would want to compare with post K&N installation. It must be noted that I did not engage in any detailed analysis, hard number comparison or use any scientific methodology.

The test day was nice and the temperature was aound 19 degrees Celsius (that's about 67 degrees Fahrenheit). Now in the saddle I cruised around on the bike until I got to the desired operating condition. I decided I would hit the highway first since I was more concerned about higher-end performance. After finding a stretch of highway I decided I would open it up and see if the K&N allowed my system to aspirate better.

Top gear roll-on power was improved slightly and it seemed to hit the 130kph mark a little faster. The improvement was small but still noticable. I gained speed quickly and it seemed the bike was hitting the higher revs faster. However, I did notice on a couple of occassions the rev indicator seemed to hover momentarily around the 8k mark and then accelerate quickly. It didn't feel like my clutch was slipping so I was not sure what could be at issue. While at WOT I noted that I gained at least 5kph on top speed as I was at 240kph, with a small amount of juice left. On previous occassions I could not break the 235kph barrier.

Not wanting to risk a speeding ticket I headed back towards home. While in town I did a series of starts and stops. I didn't really sense a lost of capability in this regard although at times I felt some launches felt a little 'softer' than previous recollections. However, it wasn't enough that I felt any disatisfaction with the result. There didn't seem to be any significant low-end performance hit, which was also an important consideration.

Verdict: A worthy addition but not a must have for the motorcycle. As far as filtration capabilities I understand it may not work as well as a stock filter. Nonetheless, the K&N filter did appear to work as advertised.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Good read. I am sure new owners will like to see this.
    Bike is sold

Comment

Wow very nicely put. I have the K&N filter as well and I do agree with your observations.
      Fast Eddie

No day is promised, live life to the fullest!!

Comment

do you have to oil k&n filters every so many months or are they just throw away and buy a new one?
        03 katanika

Comment

They are advertised as a million mile filter. You oil them and put them back in.

Comment

You have to clean and re-oil them when they get dirty and begin to plug up. K&N says...

"The general rule of thumb is that the filter needs to be cleaned when the dirt build up gets as thick as the wire mesh. The usual interval is 30,000 - 50,000 miles depending on driving conditions. We recommend that you check your filter about once a year in normal usage."

Comment

Kat-A-Tonic wrote;

I gained speed quickly and it seemed the bike was hitting the higher revs faster. However, I did notice on a couple of occassions the rev indicator seemed to hover momentarily around the 8k mark and then accelerate quickly. It didn't feel like my clutch was slipping so I was not sure what could be at issue.

I noticed the exact same condition, immediately upon installation.
              I've read since that this is caused by the inner and outer layers of the filter having been drawn together allowing for cleaning air flow threw the filter. When operating under lower RPM.s the two layers remain separated somewhat creating a space between them where "Dirty Air" is created.

Kinda like this.

"Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Good read, thanks for posting it up. Using a K&N air filter and oil filter as well is a great way to help your bike run strong for a long time.

Comment

In the eight years of owning mine I have only cleaned and re-oil twice.
                  40,000 kms.
                  Bike is sold

Comment

Originally posted by Spedee
                    40,000 kms.
                    do you have to use k&n filter oil or can any of the cone filter oil be used to clean it? im guessing they are all the same oil, but who knows...
                    03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by iwannadie
                      Originally posted by Spedee
                      40,000 kms.
                      do you have to use k&n filter oil or can any of the cone filter oil be used to clean it? im guessing they are all the same oil, but who knows...
                      I bought this kit made by K&N which has the cleaner and oil.
                      Bike is sold

Comment

To clean or to re-oil?

The K&N recharge kit is pretty cheap and wil probably outlast your filter....I have been using my kit for like 5 years and I have both car and motorcycle K&N air filters.

I think K&N filters are great....and obviously the longer they stay on (and the more dirt they collect) they supposedly are even better at picking up dirt. So what I've experienced is that my car will get better and better gas mileage as the filter wears on until I clean it again (gets leaner and leaner...very very slowly)

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                          To clean or to re-oil?

The K&N recharge kit is pretty cheap and wil probably outlast your filter....I have been using my kit for like 5 years and I have both car and motorcycle K&N air filters.

I think K&N filters are great....and obviously the longer they stay on (and the more dirt they collect) they supposedly are even better at picking up dirt. So what I've experienced is that my car will get better and better gas mileage as the filter wears on until I clean it again (gets leaner and leaner...very very slowly)
                          ya i know the kits are cheap, my only thing is i have k&n in my bike and not sure who makes the one in my car. so i was going to get 1 kit and hope to use it on both cone filters.
                          03 katanika

Comment

Yeah...that should be fine..if not better than the oil supplied by the other conical filter.

Comment

I purchase a K&N air filter a while back. After installing it, my low end torque dropped, so I switched back to the stock filter.
                              2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Comment

Working...
                              X