No announcement yet.
X

Scratch and dent/new Kat 600 question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch and dent/new Kat 600 question.

Hello everyone. I've been browsing through the site for a couple of weeks now and I finally created an account a couple of days ago. I don't yet have a Kat, or any bike for that matter, but I'm interested in getting one (still working on the wife approval). It will be my first bike. I know there's an introductions section, but this is more of a question than a formal greeting. Plus I'm not really a Kat rider yet...

In any case, I was at a dealership yesterday (in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, incase the region matters for my question) because I wanted to sit on a Kat and see if it felt comfortable to me (6'2" 205lbs). I tried sitting on the Gixxers and they just seemed awkward for me, small or something. The Hayabusa felt great but since I'm a n00b it's way out of my league. Sorry, rambling.

To get back on track, they didn't have a 750 there, only two 600s (black & blue). I sat on the black one and I was happy to learn that it did feel "right" to me. As I was sitting on the black one, the salesman pointed out a blue one with two dents on the tank. One was about the size of a softball, the other maybe half that size. Both dents were on the same side of the tank. He said it fell and that if I was interested in that one he'd give me a big discount.

I told him that I wasn't really interested in a 600, but I asked him how much of a discount he was talking about. He said he wasn't sure exactly but that he was sure he could get me a significant discount since it was damaged. I gave it a brief inspection and I didn't really see any other damage on the bike. Assuming that the dented tank is the only damage, what kind of a discount do you think I should hold out for if I decided to go for the 600? How much is a replacement tank for one of these things?

I'll probably just wait for a black 750 because I'm not really that fond of the blue/white color scheme, but if they gave me a really good deal I would consider it. Like I said, it's going to be my first bike, so I'm sure that I would enjoy it. I am just thinking that because of my size I might be happier long term with the bigger motor.

Thanks in advance for your comments/advice.
    1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

I wouldn't buy a brand new bike that's already damaged unless it was half price - honestly.

IMO, since you're a new rider anyway, you're better off buying a used bike that's been kept in very good condition (not too tough to find in FL). You'll most likely get a better deal and will get an undamaged bike. There will probably be some aftermarket upgrades on the bike also since most folks don't keep 'em totally stock for too long. Check out www.craigslist.org or www.cycletrader.com and see what's out there.

If you wanna look at more new bikes, two good shops are Motorsports of Delray (very wide selection of many bikes - HUGE showroom) or Palm Beach Cycles (not as many bikes, but lots of Suzukis). They had a used 750 Kat there two weeks ago when I was there, but I don't know any of the details - I just saw it outside. I know these places are a little further from you, but I don't really know any dealerships down your way that are trustworthy.
    ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

I'll never buy a new bike, EVAAA!! I'm so enamoured with the used market, i love how you can buy a bike, ride it for a few years and sell it for only a couple hundred less then you bought it. Plus, insurance is so much cheaper on used ones.

Comment

ron ayers lists a new tank for an 04 (should be the same) for $500. it's an easy swap and will be color matched, but will take some time because the front fairings have to be removed. so imo they need to knock a grand off the sticker.

Comment

damage new bike question

I am 6'3" and 230lbs. i bought my 2000 600 kat used back in 99 from a girl who was going through mid life issues and decided to sell it. She had fallen over in the parking lot when she was learning to ride, it had some scratches on the side, but other than that it was fine. it had 200 miles on it when i bought it for 4000.00. I can sell it now 6 yrs later for not much less than that. I have loved riding the kat, lacks a lil power compared to the bigger bikes, but i can hang with most riding groups, or at least keep in a reasonable distance.hehe I say if you can get it for a good price and they will guarantee it, go for it. Just make sure the frame is in good shape, no obvious cracks or damage. See if you can get them to throw in free maintenance also, doesn't hurt to try and get all you can.
          I feel the kat is a good starter bike, it was my first "sport" bike. Try and take a motorcycle safety course or any other training you can.
          Good luck with your decision, be safe, and remember "ride at your own pace"
          TAZ
          "VEGETARIAN" Old indian word for "BAD HUNTER"

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going on vacation next week and after I get back I'll go see if the bike's still there and see what kind of a deal they're willing to work out with me.

One of the reasons that I was looking at a new one is because I hear it's usually easier to get financed on a new one and because Suzuki has that deal going for $99/month for 60 months. Another reason why I was looking to go with a new one is due to my lack of knowledge about bikes. I can look a car or truck over and tell right away if there's anything wrong with it mechanically or structurally, but when it comes to bikes I'm a novice. I did see that CP has a guide for buying used bikes though so I will check that out if I decide to go that route.
            1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

Just a heads up: Crystal River is about 5-6 hours from you at a slow pace, and the dealer in that area was blowing out new 600's for $5399 out the door, including tax/tag/title/etc. If you go that route, I can recommend simple ways to use back-roads to get home, or you can go I-75, Aligator Alley and poof, you're there (the back-roads methods is better for engine break-in because you'll have to vary your speed more).

I had a thread up with that info on the dealer, contact info, etc.

As for the new vs. used debate: buying in cash used is better than buying new financed. That $99/month deal will leave you seriously upside-down on the loan next year (or the year after, depending on the length of the offer) unless you put a big chunk of cash down up-front. Do a search here at KR to find all the details, but you could end up paying an extra 50 to 80% for the "Special" financing deal over the life of the loan.

Finally, dented tanks:
              Check the VIN plates for the model year. If any of the bikes are an '05 model (instead of an '06), subtract 10% right there for depreciation. For the tank and possible other issues related to it, subtract another $1k to end up ahead.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

you may also try riva motorsports in pomano, i was looking at some of their used bikes before i bought mine and they are very competitive.

i've seen lots of ads in biketrader for used 750's at 5,000; i figured might as well buy a new one and pay the extra 1,700. no regrets.

i drove up to okeechobee and bought a new 750 for just under 6,700 (out the door) at ars powersports (www.arspowersports.com).
                One who is a Samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night... the fact that he has to die." -- The Code of the Samurai

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Ronin, I'll check that place out!
                  1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Comment

I do like new bikes, but I take care in riding and maintaining them. First, I would get over the mindset that a "new" bike has dings on it. I'd definitely consider it a "used" bike and judge price accordingly. I've really enjoyed my new 600 (it's the first new bike I've had in a long time). I'm very happy with the performance, but more importantly, the comfort. It draws a lot of looks too!
                    MikeG
                    Central Oregon
                    2006 Suzuki GSX600F
                    (That's a Katana for non-insurance-agent people!)

Comment

good point onthedot, it is very comfortable to ride, i got an aftermarket gel seat that makes it even better. And I do get a lot of compliments as well.
                      "VEGETARIAN" Old indian word for "BAD HUNTER"

Comment

Working...
                      X