X

Another quick thanx to Katriders for all the helpful info

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another quick thanx to Katriders for all the helpful info

Well I know I just saved myself in excess of $300..how do I know well let me just say I called awhile back to see how much a Jet kit install would be at my local stealership and they told me $200 for the labor, so I can only imagine what the cost would of been for the advancer and then a carb synch.

As some of you might have read in another post my g/f actually got me what I wanted for my b-day which was an ignition advancer and ivan Jet kit. While I was on the phone with Ivan he suggested the carb synch tool and said it was only $70 which is alot cheaper than other tools and definately cheaper than what my local shop would charge to do it. So I said go ahead throw that in there too.

So I right away came to the Katboards and searched around, oddly enough Cyberpoet has 2 great write-ups on his Motorcycle Anchor webpage. In conjuction with that I also used the Kat service manual that I was able to download from here.

I was worried about the difficulty of the process but I took my time and just read over the directions and before I knew it I actually had my carbs off and threw on the Jet's and needles. Man I am glad Ivan threw those Allen bolts cuz man I stripped 2 of those phillips ones, what piece of crap those were. The advancer was easy, except initially breaking that death grip that the advancer had on that 6mm allen bolt, but after that it was cake. And as for the carb synch well the box/service manual pretty much sum up how to do the synch, but man that is a pain in the ass where the vac lines hook up especially to get those little clips off.

But anyways I just wanted to say thanx for all the helpful infor that is contributed by everyone, everyday. I know that I am not the first or last person who finds this stuff extremely useful especially to keep the cash in my pocket rather than spent for labor hours.

Awesome man. I wish I had your guts. Even with all the great detailed info here I'm afraid of messing up my bike in some way. I guess the total unfamiliarity with bike mechanics makes me timid.

In any event, my hat's off to you. Congrats on what sounds like a job well done and, oh yeah, Happy Birthday!
    ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

good job, Najus. not only will you save money by doing your own work, you also gain a feeling of accomplishment and pride. The more you can do on your own bike, the more you will "bond" with it. Be honest...doesn't it feel more like "your baby" right now?

Also, if you are going to start working on your bike more often, invest in an impact driver. Most screws get get mangled up because in many instances you can't apply enough pressure against the screw aside from getting a grip and using your chest and body weight to force against it, which isn't always possible, so the bit slips and rounds off the slots. With an impact drive, you just put the bit in place and nail it with a hammer. I use my religiously, and often I don't even attempt to just use a regular screwdriver. I just give all the screws that I plan on removing, a couple of good whacks....then use the air gun to spin them out....but regular screwdriver works fine as well after the driver. You can get them pretty cheap on ebay that will serve the purpose just fine. This one is like $16.45 delivered. It is a cheapo, but looks plenty solid to handle anything that might give you trouble on a bike. If you tinker around enough to be familiar with the process, and try an impact driver, you will wonder how you ever lived without one. You should really pick one up. Mine was a life saver when I was stripping down that old 83 550.

Here is the one on Ebay:

[img][/img]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IMPACT-Driver-Set-1-2-Drive-OTC-Stinger-Hand-Tools_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43993QQihZ002QQit emZ4646386292QQrdZ1[/url]
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

One add on to Mojoe's comments, based on my own experiences:

If you get an impact driver, look to make sure it has a 3/8" hex-drive or 1/2" hex-drive adaptor, so you can also use it to drive sockets on bolts.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

do they make any other size smaller than 3/8?
          next step down is a 1/4, and I do not believe I ever saw one that small. I am not sure they even exist do they? I just assumed 3/8 was about as low as it would go take whacking from a hammer.
          1/4 might exist....just never saw one.

I actually like the design of the one I posted from ebay. I have one like this one, and it has went flying across the shop on a couple of occassions when I happened to nail that little piece of flesh between the thumb and index finger. you know...that bit of webbing. the kind of whack that leaves a blood blister and interferes with masturbation. that shit hurts.
          but i guess that is why they make this kind so heavy and rugged...so it can survive the trip across the room.

[img][/img]
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

This is THE site for tips and how-to's. I have saved thousands because of this site and the wealth of knowledge here. Valve adjustment, neutral switch, brakes, and continued maintenance all done myself with help from this site. Like money in the bank!!!

Comment

Re: Another quick thanx to Katriders for all the helpful inf

Originally posted by Najus
              Well I know I just saved myself in excess of $300..how do I know well let me just say I called awhile back to see how much a Jet kit install would be at my local stealership and they told me $200 for the labor, so I can only imagine what the cost would of been for the advancer and then a carb synch.

As some of you might have read in another post my g/f actually got me what I wanted for my b-day which was an ignition advancer and ivan Jet kit. While I was on the phone with Ivan he suggested the carb synch tool and said it was only $70 which is alot cheaper than other tools and definately cheaper than what my local shop would charge to do it. So I said go ahead throw that in there too.

So I right away came to the Katboards and searched around, oddly enough Cyberpoet has 2 great write-ups on his Motorcycle Anchor webpage. In conjuction with that I also used the Kat service manual that I was able to download from here.

I was worried about the difficulty of the process but I took my time and just read over the directions and before I knew it I actually had my carbs off and threw on the Jet's and needles. Man I am glad Ivan threw those Allen bolts cuz man I stripped 2 of those phillips ones, what piece of crap those were. The advancer was easy, except initially breaking that death grip that the advancer had on that 6mm allen bolt, but after that it was cake. And as for the carb synch well the box/service manual pretty much sum up how to do the synch, but man that is a pain in the ass where the vac lines hook up especially to get those little clips off.

But anyways I just wanted to say thanx for all the helpful infor that is contributed by everyone, everyday. I know that I am not the first or last person who finds this stuff extremely useful especially to keep the cash in my pocket rather than spent for labor hours.

she's a keeper!
              My Karma ate your Dogma

Comment

Working...
              X