No announcement yet.
X

To Trade or Not to Trade........Help!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Trade or Not to Trade........Help!!!

So, fathers day is coming and I'm in the mood ......

What do you all think? Shall I ask the wifey for the trade? Thoughts on the bike? How much do you think I can get for trade in on my bike, 2005 16,500 miles great shape? Come on y'all chime in, daddy needs some backing Give me the courage....

Same colors, so all the gear is intact (get the point that I'm trying to give myself more ammo for the wifey )
    Attached Files
    Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Well, you and I are in a similar boat. I've been hinting around for a new Gixxer 750 for Father's Day, but I don't think I really want it. I just can't bring myself to buy new. Plus, the yellow and black scheme isn't yellow enough for me

Anyway, as far as your trade I'd say you would probably get about $4K for it.

Would I trade for the Gixxer 1000? Probably not, but I don't log nearly as many miles as you do. I also would wait until I can buy used. Further, the Gixxer 750 is more than enough bike for me.

I don't think I've really helped you as far as convincing the wife. It's peak riding season which means you'll probably have to pay top dollar for the new Gixxer. Plus, you have a pretty nice Kat. With all the miles you log you might find the Gixxer a little uncomfortable. Have you ridden the '06? It's quite different when compared to the '05.

I say hang on to the Kat for now and if you still have an itch to scratch see if you can buy used in the fall or an '06 that's been sitting on the dealer floor and is in the way of the '07s. You'll probably get about the same amount for your Kat and pay considerably less for the Gixxer.

Sorry I'm not supporting your cause. It's probably because I've talked myself out of buying an '06 750 since riding one about two months ago. Lots of back and forth in my head, but the frugal side always wins.

Good luck whatever you decide and keep us posted!
    ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

thanks for the input, very good points. I live in socal so I just got back from a good dealership to buy new bikes. Talked to the sales manager there (where I got my katana), he told me 10,900 OTD, and roughly 3400 for my bike (is that too low). We didn't really talk about the trade value, perhaps I can work on him for it. Now that you mentioned the point on waiting a while for it makes sense, but I'm a man w/ very little patience. decisions, decisions...

Comment

If you want the gixxer that badly then you will regret not making a decision to buy it. These are toys and you should have the one that you feel will please you most.

You are getting drilled on your trade value. An 05 is worth over 5000 at retail, and more than 3400 at trade. I realize your dealer needs to make a profit but why does it have to be at your expense.

My advice is to negotiate hard on the new bike and sell your kat privately.

Check this out. It will give you trade and retail values for your bike. http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.t...rc;Motorcycles

Have fun!
        R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Dude, an 05 750 for 3400 Absolutely not Heck I'll take it off your hands for that much and more. Sell it privately it's DEFINITELY worth much more than that (I'd guess $5500 ish). If you really want the Gixxer bad, then go for it. Otherwise I completely agree with Yellow's advice - wait for a while and get it used. Especially since your Kat which has already taken the depreciation hit will be worth just a little bit less, but the Gixxer will be worth much less than $10.5k, so everyone's happy Use the money saved to buy wifey a nice present and then she'll be happy. No more
          Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Dude you've got an awesome Kat, you cant trade that in ! Ask her if you can another bike, but that silver beast is too sweet to get rid of.

The new gixxers are awesome though I'll give you that.

Comment

$3,400 for an '04???? I'm going to ask that for my 99!That guyis NOT doing you any favors. Tell him to F--_ OFF!
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Wait for Suzuki fest to come along and buy another bike. Probably only cost 50 bucks a month or so..you have a real nice Kat,did I mention they dont make them anymore!! You'll regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by seypea
                  2005 Kat 750 - 16,500 miles great shape?
                  ...dealer offered roughly 3400 for my bike
                  The problem is that is an aweful lot of miles from a dealer's perspective (makes the bike harder to sell again at top dollar, even in perfect shape, unless the buyer is Katana-savy).

If he offered you $3400, it's worth $4k - $4400, because he needs to calculate in a $600-$1k margin on the resale normally ($100 rent/elec/insurance for the floor space it'll occupy, $200 in dealer profit, $200 in salesman commission, $60 in taxes on the profits & commission, etc).

If you really want the gsxr AND feel must buy new for your own tastes (as verses to taking a 4 or 5 year old model much cheaper and keeping the kat as well -- about the same $$ total overall), then sell the Kat yourself. List it up on CraigsList, CycleTrader, etc. If you have any aftermarket accessories on the Kat, unbolt them, bolt on the OEM stuff again and sell the accessories separately on eBay. Then take all that cash and walk into the dealership with it.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hey i know this is the first time you have heard from me...but i would consider buying your bike from you. I am looking for a bike....i love gixxers, but the Kat's are comfortable.
                    06 KAT 600

Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input! That's what family is for I tell ya, to cool down my impulses So here is the dealio, sorry if this comes a little lengthy! In terms of $'s, the dealership didn't even look at my bike it was an estimation on the value in non-serious banter, I'm sure I could get some more, and yes, not enough as if I sell private. I still owe about $6k on the bike, got it last year in the promo, pay about $150 a month thru suzuki! so if I trade in, I can keep the payment the same, just up value amount. Now for the more important part, reasoning for wanting the bike!......

New, because I love that color scheme!!!! (guess I could wait for the used ones to come rollin in but might be a while). Need for upgrade because I feel myself wanting more. But this is where my mind is at a crossroads. 1) I love the katana because of the aggressiveness I can ride it with. It's got great power but I know I can roll the throttle and really not lose it! That is a very safe feature and perhaps is good for the daddy of 3! Should I learn to accept that? 2) On the other hand, the side of me wants to feel that power without need such a roll-on throttle, what am I missing? Perhaps the power will ultimately get me into trouble, you know wanting too much of a good thing.

Thanks for all the comments guys... you'all are great!

Comment

Seems to me, based on the facts that you have stated, that moving into the new GSXR is gonna cost you pretty big! New out the door for the GSXR = $10,900 then add on the defecit of the $6000 you owe less the $3400 they will give you.............new GSXR = $13,500. Ouch! That's pretty steep. Like CP said keep your Kat and buy a 2~3 year old GSXR and it will cost you about the same and you will have two great bikes (one to satisfy each of the functions that you like). Just my 2¢.

Comment

i wouldnt say i'm in the same boat, but i really really like the new gsxr 600's. i dont owe on my kat, but i have to continuously convince myself to wait till next summer at the soonest, or early spring, so i can 1. save up enough for a down payment and possibly sell my kat (or keep it if i have storage worked out by then) and 2. get more riding experience as i'm still relatively new to riding. my brother in law keeps telling me, dont get new, get one thats a year or two older and save some major coin... i've never owned a brand spankin new vehicle before, but i have to imagine that is a pretty good feeling.

Comment

Need for upgrade because I feel myself wanting more. But this is where my mind is at a crossroads. 1) I love the katana because of the aggressiveness I can ride it with. It's got great power but I know I can roll the throttle and really not lose it! That is a very safe feature and perhaps is good for the daddy of 3! Should I learn to accept that? 2) On the other hand, the side of me wants to feel that power without need such a roll-on throttle, what am I missing? Perhaps the power will ultimately get me into trouble, you know wanting too much of a good thing.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if it was 10 years ago. The 98+ Katana 750 is a great bike and has more than enough power. However, each year the crop of newer SS bikes gets more poweful but peoples capabilities aren't keeping pace. Barring a few exceptions, riders are the limiting factors. Human nature, being what it is, always wants more. However, it's human judgment that determines if you need more.
                            "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
                              Need for upgrade because I feel myself wanting more. But this is where my mind is at a crossroads. 1) I love the katana because of the aggressiveness I can ride it with. It's got great power but I know I can roll the throttle and really not lose it! That is a very safe feature and perhaps is good for the daddy of 3! Should I learn to accept that? 2) On the other hand, the side of me wants to feel that power without need such a roll-on throttle, what am I missing? Perhaps the power will ultimately get me into trouble, you know wanting too much of a good thing.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if it was 10 years ago. The 98+ Katana 750 is a great bike and has more than enough power. However, each year the crop of newer SS bikes gets more poweful but peoples capabilities aren't keeping pace. Barring a few exceptions, riders are the limiting factors. Human nature, being what it is, always wants more. However, it's human judgment that determines if you need more.
                              Great point, okay by now my impulse is bearable!!!!.... I'm a very firm believer of respecting the power of bikes, don't try to do crazy stuff, just looking for the kick, perhaps not all the time......after a while thinking that putting 16k+ a year mileage would send me to the chiropractic on a gixxer! think I might wait till the wave of used ones comes in!

Comment

Working...
                              X