X
X

Concealed Handguns

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under the seat not a good idea. If your Kat is like mine to take my seat off is a real pain in the ass. So if your in a situation were you need your piece in a hurry,you cant just tell the badguy wait a minute I have to get my gun out from underneath the seat,just have a spot at the bar and I'll be right with you...

Comment

Carrying concealed to a bar might be legal in Texas. Leaving the weapon in/on your vehicle might be legal. Carrying concealed if leaving a bar, in NC, isn't, if you have consumed alcohol. For North Carolina residents to carry concealed legally, they must not only possess a permit to do so, they must not have ANY alcohol in their systems -- none, ZERO; they cannot carry into any establishment that sells alcohol, period; they cannot carry into any financial institution, or government offices or courts or "places of worship" and they cannot carry into any private establishment that is clearly marked "No Weapons." So, you may be sober enough to operate your bike or car, but if you have even the smell of beer on your breath and are carrying concealed, you are breaking the law and if something were to happen that you needed to use deadly force, you would be brought up on charges, even if you are in the right.

Don't know how it is in Texas, but I would bet it isn't much different. Probably not a great idea to carry concealed if you are going for a night on the town. It WOULD, however, be a good idea to leave the bike at home if going for a night on the town.

Comment

But after it turned into a night riding adventure and my incident in NM, I started to second-guess my decision slightly.

Okay, I'll bite- what happened in New Mexico?
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I was using the bar as an example (I do not drink)...I did not want to try and explain what a 30.06 sign is but I guess I feel the need to justify the question...basically it is a sign that any business can post (in accordance with Texas statute 30.06) and keep individuals with CHLs from carrying a concealed hand gun on the premises.

As for my personal choice to exercise my right to carry...I would rather have one and not need it...than need it and not have it. I use my bike as a daily commuter...work...errands...and etc. and I never know where I might end up or what neighborhoods (good or bad) I might be going through. As for the bike…if someone wants it…take it...insurance will take care of it….but if at anytime I feel that my family (my wife rides with me a lot) or myself are at serious risk…better believe it will be their life not ours.

Take a look at what happened to Mcguyver the other day…someone on the side claiming to have a knife almost took his bike. What if the guy really did have a knife and was crazy enough to use it.

Comment

As a general rule, I won't carry a firearm if I can't keep it on my person at all times wherever I'm going. Therefore, if going to a bar, I say leave it home.

I really can't think of a safe place to keep it on the bike. Under the seat really isn't very secure. I don't think locked saddlebags would be very secure either. I wouldn't even leave it in the trunk or glovebox of a car.

Also, in the case of the bike, you would have to leave the firearm stored for your entire ride if you're headed somewhere you can't carry it. If you wanted to take it out of your jacket (for example) to put it under your seat you'd be breaking the law by displaying a firearm in public. Same thing if you wanted to take it out and put it back in your jacket for the ride home. No real point in carrying the firearm if you can't access it.

You might find this site has helpful information as to where it is illegal to carry a firearm even with a CCW. There may also be answers to other questions you may have when it comes to carrying a concealed weapon.

Stay safe!
            ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

"personally unless I was heading through a high crime area I'd probably leave the piece at home."

That's good in theory, but there are only two times I've had to take my handgun from its holster.

Once was a 7-11 when they were about to be held up. I took my handgun from the holster and on my orders, sat on the ground and waited for police to show up to arrest them.

The second time I was in a residential neighborhood. The guy behind me in the monster truck got torqued at me for doing 20 Mph in a school zone (the law in Oregon) and there were hundreds of kids getting out of school. After passing me and hitting the school intersection at 60 mph, he later decided to follow me and attempt vehicular assault by trying to ram my car many times.

I just pulled over to let him cool off and hopefully leave. He still kept threatening me so I drew my handgun from its holster and put it on my lap. The next cookie he did, he pulled up next to my car (looking down into my lap since I drive a sports car), and after 30 seconds of profane language, his eyes were big as dollars as he saw my sidearm in hand.

He went away, and apparently had the foresite to call the police. I got a call from a cop asking me to come down to the station. I immediately showed up. Luckily for me, the school teachers got his license number and already called HIM in. Based on my description of the incident, the copy issued him 26 tickets!!!

The cop wanted to know why I didn't shoot him, saying I had the right to. I told him I might have the right to, but I didn't have the police union behind me to support my legal fees.

Both were in nice quiet, innocent neighborhoods.
              MikeG
              Central Oregon
              2006 Suzuki GSX600F
              (That's a Katana for non-insurance-agent people!)

Comment

Why conceal it?

Just don the Cowboy getup, complete with six gun at your side. Walk up to the bar, kick the doors open and walk in like you just rode cross country on a boss hoss. Anybody starts shit with you tell 'em "high noon...tomarra" spit chew on their feet, "unless ur too yella......fella" . That'll set the record straight, and nobody's gonna screw with you

Comment

I'm not sure this is the right forum for a 2nd amendment debate. Nor was I trying to start one. I just wanted to know from fellow riders that have CHLs...or CCWs how they handle hiding the handgun when you end up in a place where one is not allowed to carry.

Under normal circumstances if I know that my destination does not allow handguns...I would most likely leave it at home. It is the situation where a business/establishment has a 30.06 sign posted (as business owners have that right here in Texas) and I was not aware of it until arriving...where do you put the handgun. I guess I would discretely put it under the seat while conducting my business....and discretely take it out and conceal it on my person when done with my business.

Comment

I would just store it under the seat and make sure I could see my bike. Or you could ask the owner to hold onto it while you were in the store since you did not know they had a rule about it until you arrived. I know in the bldg I work in only Law enforcement can have a weapon on them while in uniform.
                    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat
                      As a general rule, I won't carry a firearm if I can't keep it on my person at all times wherever I'm going. Therefore, if going to a bar, I say leave it home.

I really can't think of a safe place to keep it on the bike. Under the seat really isn't very secure. I don't think locked saddlebags would be very secure either. I wouldn't even leave it in the trunk or glovebox of a car.

Also, in the case of the bike, you would have to leave the firearm stored for your entire ride if you're headed somewhere you can't carry it. If you wanted to take it out of your jacket (for example) to put it under your seat you'd be breaking the law by displaying a firearm in public. Same thing if you wanted to take it out and put it back in your jacket for the ride home. No real point in carrying the firearm if you can't access it.

You might find this site has helpful information as to where it is illegal to carry a firearm even with a CCW. There may also be answers to other questions you may have when it comes to carrying a concealed weapon.

Stay safe!
                      who says the gun isnt accesable when you ride? i have mine holstered when i ride within easy reach. its also very visible(local law without permit says it has to be visible) which helps keep people from doing anything to stupid.

i wouldnt leave a gun under the seat or in a locked car. i dont like the idea of giving a criminal a weapon especially one that has my name attached to it.

if your going some where that doesnt allow guns you should just leave it at home.
                      03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by iwannadie

Stay safe!
                        who says the gun isnt accesable when you ride? i have mine holstered when i ride within easy reach. its also very visible(local law without permit says it has to be visible) which helps keep people from doing anything to stupid.

i wouldnt leave a gun under the seat or in a locked car. i dont like the idea of giving a criminal a weapon especially one that has my name attached to it.

if your going some where that doesnt allow guns you should just leave it at home.
                        I was answering TX_Kats question directly. Texas IS NOT an open carry state like AZ is.

In TX if you have a carry permit the weapon always has to be concealed. If you even have any part of the holster showing in public you can be charged with failure to conceal a firearm. Therefore, if TX_Kat got to a location he could not legally enter with a firearm he would be unable to stow it in his bike. He could be arrested as soon as he took that firearm out, even if it were just to put it away. As a result, he would have to keep the weapon stowed for his entire journey, thereby making it inaccessable.

AZ has very loose firearm laws. Even w/o a permit, a person can have a gun lying on their passenger seat without concern. You can't do that in TX or FL for that matter. Florida eliminated the open carry allowance in the 80s.
                        ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

I always liked the shotgun saddle bag a la Arnold Schwarzenegger in T2. If you do it right you can do it with your left hand too so you can keep the right hand on the throttle and cock & point Mr. Sawed-off with your left - without even slipping 100 RPM.

Seriously though - if you're going to the bar, why not walk or catch a bus or a ride with someone? That's what I usually do.
                          ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
                          Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

AZ has very loose firearm laws. Even w/o a permit, a person can have a gun lying on their passenger seat without concern. You can't do that in TX or FL for that matter. Florida eliminated the open carry allowance in the 80s.
                            AZ has the loosest firearms laws I know of. When I was in high school there, I used to strap on a .357 for the bicycle ride to/from school (age 16), because there was a provision for doing so way underage if you had to cross more than 7 miles of desert on the way to class (I covered 11.6 miles each way when I lived there -- it's all country clubs and suburbia now). To say that it made the school officials uncomfortable was an understatement... esp. once they found out they didn't have the legal right to tell me to leave it at home.

Meanwhile, I am going to tackle this whole debate from a different angle:
                            TX_Kat600 did you get modifications made to your riding jacket to provide extra cushioning against impacts on the weapon? If you go down, that big bit of metal can transmit and concentrate serious power against your ribs/hip/etc. (and I'm not talking accidental discharge -- just it hitting the ground before the rest of you, thus acting like an anvil for the rest of your body to smack onto). If you wear your gear while riding, then you really should consider that factor -- a CW can effectively invalidate the protection in many forms of spills if they're not tailored/engineered for the extra bulk and to protect you from it. Might want to get some additional padding sewn in on both sides of the weapon hold...

As for storing it, what's the Texas law on disassembly? Can you simply drop the clip into a different pocket and pull the slide and shove it into yet another pocket and be legal? Just a thought.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Stay safe!

I was answering TX_Kats question directly. Texas IS NOT an open carry state like AZ is.

In TX if you have a carry permit the weapon always has to be concealed. If you even have any part of the holster showing in public you can be charged with failure to conceal a firearm. Therefore, if TX_Kat got to a location he could not legally enter with a firearm he would be unable to stow it in his bike. He could be arrested as soon as he took that firearm out, even if it were just to put it away. As a result, he would have to keep the weapon stowed for his entire journey, thereby making it inaccessable.

wow i figured in texas With a permit you could open carry. how strict is the law by definition? i mean could you get away with wrapping say a bandana around the gun/holster so its not visible?

even still having the gun holstered on a belt Under your shirt would meet the law and still be easy to grab.

i love the wild west here in az ; ) they just lifted the gun ban, high capacity magazines legal, full auto legal. im looking into open carry a mini uzi with 40 round clip.
                              03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kat600
                                Take a look at what happened to Mcguyver the other day…someone on the side claiming to have a knife almost took his bike. What if the guy really did have a knife and was crazy enough to use it.
                                and take a look at what the situation really was. the guy who supposedly assulted him didn't even have a knife in the first place.

here is a nice recipe for ya:

one slightly deranged street bum who is unstable and claims to have a knife.

one slightly gung-ho individual who feels everyone is out to get him and carries a gun.

street bum tries to take the bike...for whatever reason. maybe he just has a child like mind and wants to play with your toy.

gung-ho individual pulls gun on bum

bum...being unstable in the first place, has no sense of reality and moves towards gung-ho's gun....cuz it just looks so cool and he wants to play with that as well.

gung-ho shoots bum in face.

cops show up....search bum, and find no knife.

gung-ho serves time for man-slaughter.

here is another thing to ponder.....if you pull a gun on someone, you really better be ready to use it. if the assulter gets a hold of it, he will most definately use it on you....even if it is just to pistol whip your ass....if you're lucky.
                                and if someone does pull a knife on you, are you really ready to pull the trigger? is your wallet, your bike...or any other material object really worth having to live with the fact that you killed a man?
                                I think I would rather hand over my bike and wait for the insurance check than to have that in my mind for the rest of my life. but hey...that's just me. 99.9% of the time it is just theft...and they only want your money or something like that. just give it up and avoid taking it that far where someone gets shot.

geez....you yanks and your guns.
                                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                                X