X

Removing Decals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JaxKat
    You just need to use a hair dryer to heat it up... then remove the decal... Use Goo Gone to rub the adhesive off... Thats what we all do.... 8)
    Thats the easiest and best way to do it and all it takes is alittle time and elbow grease to get the adhesive residue off with the goo-gone. Just make sure you peel back the decals very SLOW so you dont you end up leaving my adhesive behind on the fairings.

Comment

Just one little thing to add:

If you have the word "Suzuki" on the OEM tank, it's laid in under the clearcoat. It won't come off as readily as the others, and you'll ruin the clear coat finish in the process. A search here at KR should net you how to remove that if you want it out (exacto knife to cut the finish, etc).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I couldn`t find Goo-Gone. So I picked up a can of Label & Sticker Remover (not as creative a name) at Canadian Tire and it worked really easy. I`m sure just as well as Goo-Gone. Now I have a full can still and I found another use for it. The tar residue that gathers on top of the swingarm from the chain oil. I didn`t want to do the Suzuki or 750 label because I`m sure they`re clear coated and I`m not ready to mess with that.

www.3dflag.com

Comment

Luckily I don't have the Suzuki word on my tank just the "S" in aluminum and it looks pretty good so I'll leave that on there. As for the Katana and 750 decals I don't believe they are clearcoated. I've removed one side so far and it looks fine.

Comment

I just pulled all the stupid Warning stickers off my Kat a few weeks back and the Goo Gone worked great.
            -Tiny

'05 Katana 600

Comment

Goo Gone also makes a gel spraymist that sticks to a vertical surface better. I found that Goo Gone + sunshine + a creditcard type card worked well to get the residue left by the Katana stickers worked OK. Only well enough to make me hesitant to remove the stripey stickers.

Heatgun sounds like the trick so long as you don't warp the plastics.

Comment

Do a search and read other posts - many people take their stickers off. Please DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN. A simple hair dryer provides more than enough heat to remove the stickers. You run a high risk of damaging your plastics if you use a heat gun - it's far too hot for this particular job. Patience is the real key here. Hair dryer, patience and Goo Gone - that's all you need for safe tried and true sticker removal. I removed many of my stickers using this method without incident.
                ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Heat guns get too hot? Fair enough. Sorry, I stand corrected then. Better news anyway as I won't have to acquire a heatgun I can just use the girl's dryer.

Comment

Originally posted by JaxKat
                    You just need to use a hair dryer to heat it up... then remove the decal... Use Goo Gone to rub the adhesive off... Thats what we all do.... 8)

this works fine take your time

Comment

Yes. Some people have said that they've parked the bike in the sun for a while and that was enough to heat the stickers for removal. The true key is patience. Use the hair dryer and pull the stickers off very slowly. I know you wanna get 'em off as quickly as possible, but taking a little extra time up front saves you work in the long run. If you do a search you'll see the standard hair dryer along with goo gone are the tools of choice for sticker removal.
                      ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Heatgun was a bodyshop guy's offering. I questioned him on the plastics and he said it wouldn't damage them with the right amount of careful attention. So much for that.

Comment

A heat gun can melt the fairing in nothing flat... Not a good idea...
                          2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                          Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                          "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                          Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                          Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                          "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            Just one little thing to add:

If you have the word "Suzuki" on the OEM tank, it's laid in under the clearcoat. It won't come off as readily as the others, and you'll ruin the clear coat finish in the process. A search here at KR should net you how to remove that if you want it out (exacto knife to cut the finish, etc).

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Good call CP. I thought of removing the suzuki on my tank as well. But after a few minutes of thought, for me it looks good and not gawdy, and far too much effort to remove the decals and make it look just as presentable as it does now.

The other decals are easy to remove and I like the looks without them, but I think the S or Suzuki on the tanks looks so no reason remove it.

Comment

I just use 3M general purpose adhesive remover. Doesnt harm the paint, and has worked on three different cars for me!
                              You shut your mouth when your talking to me!!

Spread the word!! www.bikerfriend.org

Comment

you could always just sand all your decals off along with the rest of your bike and repaint it. This also gets rid of the "suzuki" on the tank and on the front....but it's a little more time consuming and expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X