X

Rebound damping force

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebound damping force

Can someone explain to me what acually the rebound damping force adjuster does?
    The manual says that is makes the suspension stiffer or softer. How does that relate to accuracy of steering?

My kat is set on standerd, and I am debating whether I change it to stiffer for my track day or not?

The adjuster is a pointed screw that plugs a hole your fork oil flows through. The more the screw is turned in the more it plugs the hole. That makes it more difficult for fluid to flow through the hole. This stiffens your suspension.

As for the actual setting I would say that you should try making some tweaks on the road before your track day. Take a quick spin with the middle setting then try full soft and then full hard. You could do the same thing at the track just to get a feel for what the front end does with each setting.

Comment

For the trackday, jack up your rear spring preload a notch or two, and set your dampening to standard -- at least if the track is in good condition and has smooth pavement.

I wrote up a good primer & explanation of how the suspension works in this http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19775 that may be of interest to you.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        For the trackday, jack up your rear spring preload a notch or two, and set your dampening to standard -- at least if the track is in good condition and has smooth pavement.

I wrote up a good primer & explanation of how the suspension works in this http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19775 that may be of interest to you.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Thanks CP. It is a good read.
        Are you talking about the front or rear suspension? Are you suggestion that to make the pre load for the rear stiff, and the damping force for the front and rear to standard?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE1000
          Are you talking about the front or rear suspension? Are you suggestion that to make the pre load for the rear stiff, and the damping force for the front and rear to standard?
          For the track day, I'm suggesting to up the rear preload to make the rear somewhat more stiff (since bumps will be minor at worst on a track, it shouldn't have to cope with large potholes and expansion cracks), and the rear damping force to standard. The front damping force you will probably want to increase (turning clockwise) by a notch or two over the standard setting of "2" for track use.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X