X

2000 Katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Katana 600

Hey everyone. My name is Matt. I am 33 and from the northeast state of Vermont....yes....it is a state within the united states! haha. Anyway, just picked up a decent 2000 katana with 18k miles. Newer tires, tuned, synced and aftermarket exhaust. It will need a battery, new brake rotors? and chain/sprocket kit.....I paid $1,000 cash from second owner who bought from his adult uncle. I would like to go right through the bike, I look forward to everyones help, knowledge and kindness...patience, too! haha There is no maintenance records, so want to flush and revove all fluids, etc....I will check back in in a few days!! Be safe!

Enjoy. I also have a 2000 600 and love it.

Comment

thanks!

Thank you, sir. I cant wait to pick it up this weekend and get started! Question......it needs a battery but starts after a jump (on a non-started vehicle, of course)....am I okay to ride it home 50 miles once started or will it stall out and leave me stranded?? anyone?? Thank you!!

Comment

As long as the charging system is in-tact it should get you home. Don't stall it though. Lol
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

haha

I will have jumper cables in the backpack....just in case!! Thank you!!

Comment

May cause other issues, as the charging system will be at max power output.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Sooo....be safe and buy a new $50-70 battery? Since it needs it! haha. Also, thank you for your service~

Comment

Bike made the ride home safely (50 miles), shifts great, sounds mean....ran and idled a little rough but I put some sea foam in her before adding non ethenol high octane and it cleared her up within ten minutes of cruising gently!!! So far...new battery and just ordered stop light kit, turn signals, bike cover....waiting to get a good look at chain and sprocket tomorrow but they dont look good, brake fluid is quite dark and oil needs changing as well....any recommendations?? bike sat all last year and only 400 miles the year before that (has 18k now)....anything recommended besides what i mentioned?? should i drain and flush both fron and read brakes with some dot 4?? what about a performance air, oil filter and oil??? any advantages? i will look at other forums of noone knows off there heads! thx! Yesssss!!!

Comment

Glad you made it home.

Oil - as long as you change it regularly, and dont use car oil (energy conserving car oil) you're good. WIX and K&N make good oil filters.

OEM style air filters only - NOT K&N. They make the bike too lean.

Gas - only needs low grade, extra octane wont help the bike run any better (unless you live somewhere where higher grades dont have ethanol)

Other suggestions - clean and lube the chain, adjust the valves and sync the carbs, change oil in the forks, and grease the wheel/swing arm bearings.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Is it alright to use the original castrol 10w-40?

Nothing special just the plain jane castrol.
                    Last edited by jonathon1; 03-13-2016, 02:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If it fits the SM rating.. Your good. I use the Lucas semisynthetic MC oil.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

Where would I find that info? On the back with all of the other literature?

On this oil change I'm going to go with something motorcycle.
                        Last edited by jonathon1; 03-13-2016, 03:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It's on the back of every bottle
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

The back says API service SN,SM,SL,SJ. So it should be good.

Comment

What does the SM stand for?

Comment

Working...
                              X