X

Issue with swingarm swap.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with swingarm swap.

My problem is that i thought a busa wheel will fit when i bought it for my rf900 swingarm swap, well the issue is that the axle is alot thinner than the holes in the busa wheel, is there a way to fix this or better off getting a bandit wheel.

i made a lil diagram to show what i mean, from what i can tell the 96-97 rf900 wheel is identical to bandit 1200 and the bandit is alot easier to find than the rf900 but the busa has diffrent size bearings. if theres no gettin around it then the busa wheel is going on ebay asap!!

also does anyone of good motorcycle junkyards in nj area? thanx

Shot at 2007-07-28

What I did was, I went to a local machine shop and had them make 3 spacers that fit the katana axel and the busa bearings and problem solved.

Comment

did u just stick em inside flush with the wheel, cuz my concern is i dunno if the wheel will be straight with the front one if i mess it up

Comment

yes everything fit fine. here's what I did.

Comment

If you are in South Jersey... A&J Cycle Salvage down by the Philly airport is one of the largest yards in the region.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ahh that's a little scary dude, what keeping the spacers from rotating on the axle? At high speeds there's a good chance there's enough resistance to get both of those things spinning and over a period of time put you in a world of hurt. I'm not sure the risk is worth the extra 1/2 of wheel width, you might be better off with the 5.5" gsxr wheel.

Comment

the spacer have a tight fit on the axel, is a bi@%ch to pass the axel. I've being riding the kat hard for 10 months now with no problems. also when everything is assamble (spacers,calipber arm) all that presses against the spacers inside the bearings so there is no spinning there. the only thing that spins are the bearings like they supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by katanapr3
                also when everything is assamble (spacers,calipber arm) all that presses against the spacers inside the bearings so there is no spinning there. the only thing that spins are the bearings like they supposed to.
                That's probably 100% on. If you are still concerned you can fit the spacers in with an interference fit. It's tricky but a good machine shop can do it. IMO having the spacers fit tight on the bearing and with "normal" clearance on the axle is the better way to go. I would also heat treat the spacer to prevent the risk of galling the axle. The bearing race is hard steel after all.

An interference fit is where one part is meant to fit into another. However the two parts are machined in a way they will not quite fit. One part is heated (to expand it) and the other is cooled (to contract it) the two parts can then be assembled and when they reach equal temps they are almost as tight as welded..

Comment

ive decided to just get a bandit 1200 5.5" wheel which will save all the trouble, since this is my first bike i dont wanna machine too much stuff and have sumthin get out of alignment and then spend more money to get parts machined. i got the wheel for 127 shipped and since ima sell the busa wheel its gonna be about the same instead of me paying the machine shop.

Comment

Working...
                  X