No announcement yet.
X

Close call with a nail today... Whew !

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close call with a nail today... Whew !

Nice day to ride today, alittle chilly this morning but was predicted to warm up to about 65. Did the once over the bike like usual this morning, all is well. Rode to work, then left over lunch to go the dentist. Somewhere between the Dentist visit and back to work I picked up this !!

My coworker actually noticed it before I did..they were taking a smoke break in the parking garage when I pulled back in and parked the kat. She was like, "dude, you got a nail in your tire" , I was like yeah right, shut up! ..then sure enough, I look and there it is. At this point my mouth is already numb and feeling all dumb from the novacaine at the dentists office, then this. ... I surely wasnt going to pull it out. So told my boss I had to leave and take my bike to the shop cuz of the tire, and then I called a local guy who does my inspections, and works on bikes in general. He's like bring it on down. So I rode it SLOWLY and cautiously from work to his garage.. about a good 12-15 miles from work. All the while hoping to God that the nail doesnt come out and I stuck along the road.

Well I made it there ok, and he looked it over, and was like dude, I cant patch or plug that, its on the side of the tire just alittle too much. The steam started coming out of my ears again because I hoping it just on the edge of being able to still plug or patch it to hold me over till I could order a new one. FORTUNATELY, he pulls out the nail and it turns out it didnt puncture the tire !! I went in on an angle at a deep part of the tread and didnt go the whole way through. It's actually a piny piece of a valve stem I think less than a 1/4 inch long.

I dodged a bullet today for sure, and since I was there he's just going to inspect it awhile for me too.

Thats my rant...coulda cost me a new rear pilot power but it looks like we should AOK. He's gonna watch it this afternoon and tomorrow morning to make sure the air pressure stays good. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

Wow... surely a close call. Was this a new tire ? Treads don't look worn at all.
    Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Wow... surely a close call. Was this a new tire ? Treads don't look worn at all.
      Tire only has about 1500 miles on it, just put it on last fall, so yeah I would have been steaming if I had to replace it already. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, the pilot powers, but I just didnt really want to have to do it again so soon.

Comment

I had that happen once...except I didn't pull it out...I bought a new tire and got it mounted then pulled it out...Darn it.
        1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
        2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
        Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

Are there other choices we have to repair tires that get nails/screws?

Comment

Wow, that's a stroke of good luck! Good for you! I don't usually have run ins with nails, but I can tell you that drywall screws always puncture the tire
            ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Glad to hear your dodged the bullet on that one. It sucks to have to replace a perfectly good tire because of a nail.
              Kyle

Comment

Glad to hear it didnt go all the way through..
                I know the feeling you got when you saw it all too well..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Yeah,Yeah, Yeah My self tapping screw went in on an angle and ripped the shit out of my Avon!!...Just put the new tire on the bike and havnt yet ridden it.I think Im scared of nails! Glad you dodged that one dude,,at least someone has some luck!!

Comment

IM still thanking my lucky stars for this one :blueangel:

Ya know Fred its funny, when I was standing at the garage this afternoon, for some reason I thought.. Damn I must have the zukifred tire curse or something

Comment

There's no way I would have jumped back on the bike to ride *with the nail in* over to the mechanic/bike dude's place... I'd yank it out on the spot, and if it doesn't hold, it gets plugged...

Meanwhile, if it's deep (but not through), you still might want to stick a bit of a plug into the hole just to raise up the surface flush again.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

how about tubes? couldn't you always put one in if the nail would have went through.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80
                          how about tubes? couldn't you always put one in if the nail would have went through.
                          NO.

Tires and wheels designed to take tubes are designed inherently differently than tires and wheels designed to take tubeless tires. As far as I am aware, the only exception is the GS series by BMW which offer a wheel (optional wheel?) that can use both -- but the tire still is one or the other.

Installing an intertube into a 88+ Kat wheel is a recipe for a serious disaster on the road, if you can even get it up to pressure before it gives out again.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            There's no way I would have jumped back on the bike to ride *with the nail in* over to the mechanic/bike dude's place... I'd yank it out on the spot, and if it doesn't hold, it gets plugged...

Meanwhile, if it's deep (but not through), you still might want to stick a bit of a plug into the hole just to raise up the surface flush again.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Trust me I was sweatin the ride over..riding slow and cautious. I knew if it did go flat on the way over, he'd come with his trailer or truck to haul it over, plus I had my brother available with his truck if need be. If figured it must have been in there for atleast alittle while and no loss of air, so I took a chance on it. Fortunately it worked out for me.

I was just thinking about maybe using a plug but the whole is so tiny Im not sure it can be done. Im going to inspect it further again when I pick it up and see how it looks.

Comment

cyber what about a tube rim with a tubless tire that has a tube in it? my roommates '79 suzuki gs750 is set up that way when he bought it. should he make sure he gets tubeless tires and run tubes, or go with how it is now? he said something like the bead on his rims are different than that of a tubless rim.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Working...
                              X