Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Anyone care to comment on the TL1000 bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone care to comment on the TL1000 bike?

I know this sounds bad, but did not know about them at all until I saw DeeDubs. I know they are a twin, but are not manufactured any more by Suz. Did the SV1000 replace it? How does it perform? It kindof looks like a Hyabusa..which I like.

Are they very high on the insurance like the Hyabusa? Any known problems with them?

JC

There has been some interesting chatter about the TLR/TLS here:

Comment

It's a good bike but if suffers from a (undeserved?) bad reputation for instability. However, it's a powerful bike, with insurance premiums to match.
      "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

It sucks.

Buy a Vulcan.

Comment

they look pretty sweet..I also like the Hyabusa...anyone here have or ride one of those?

jC

Comment

There are a few people on this that ride the Hayabusa. Most people like (or love) the bike.
            "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

i bet the insurance is very high on them...touted as the fastest production bike probably carries with it a grand premium for insurance.

JC

Comment

Awesome 1000 cc twin motor still available with the SV1000 and DL1000 V-strom. The TLR (full fairing) and TL (Bikini fairing) were good if heavy sport twins that got a bad rep for stability due to their unusual circular rear shock/link. The rear shock was a rotary damper that was inconsistent and overheated easily

Comment

A few thoughts from a former TLR owner:

Go to TLZone.net for all the info you could ever want about the TL. There is a huge wealth of knowlege and experience on that site.

When you hear comments about the TL being heavy, know that it's still lighter than a Katana.

While widely considered to be a bad rear shock, the rotory damper was used by the most sucessful race TLR in the US. Tray Batey has won more races on a TLR than probably anyone else in the world and he never changed to an aftermarket shock. While it's far from optimal, the rotory is fine for the typical street rider. However, if you want to drop the cash on an aftermarket shock, they do make a positive change to the bike. The point I'm trying to make is that while the stock rear shock isn't great, don't think you have to change it to enjoy the bike.

While insurance varies wildly from person to person and state to state, expect to pay close to the same premium as you would any other liter bike. I never carried full coverage on mine, so I can't comment on the exact costs. I'm 29 w/two tickets and my TLR cost ~$200/year for liability and comprehensive.

A TLR with a set of pipes is one of the best sounding bikes on earth (that's an opinion, of course)

I bought my TLR as a wreck and rebuilt it. When I sold the bike it had 42,000 miles on the odo and still ran like a top. I had no major mechanical problems in the time I owned it. Other than scheduled maintenance and aftermarket modifications, I replaced a radiator due to a rock puncture (not the bikes fault) and replaced a $2 clutch pushrod seal that leaked.

It's a great all around sportbike. Not the fastest, not the best handling, but better than I'll ever be as a rider. I even toured on mine, including one 1000+ mile day, and a 6 day 2000 mile road trip. I did numerous 500+ mile days. For me, it was more comfy than a Kat though most would probably disagree.
                  I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

+1 on the incredible sound! I used to endurance race and you always new the 2 or 3 teams that ran them were coming with that sweet exhaust sound.

I never liked the TLS but the TLR is a bike I would own to this day. I constantly fight the urge to trade in for one of the SV1000's, slap on some Yosh pipes, and fairing lower

Comment

My buddy who wrecked his 99 Kat 750 and almost died in front of me...(.he realizes the wreck was 100% his fault,,F@@kin newbee!)Anyway he in a moment of insanity after the wreck bought a TL1000.still has it to this day and loves it. I've ridden it myself a number of times,the seat is as hard as a rock and the riding position is extreme.But the power of the bike is unbelievable.I dont think the SV has the balls. Getting rid of the TL is the same as Suzuki not updating the Kat.Just plain Stupid..and thats just my opinion.

Comment

What Wingspan said...

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan
                          Go to TLZone.net for all the info you could ever want about the TL. There is a huge wealth of knowlege and experience on that site.
                          +1

While insurance varies wildly from person to person and state to state, expect to pay close to the same premium as you would any other liter bike. I never carried full coverage on mine, so I can't comment on the exact costs. I'm 29 w/two tickets and my TLR cost ~$200/year for liability and comprehensive.
                          I'm 30..no tickets, married, full coverage for 9 months...Around $275

A TLR with a set of pipes is one of the best sounding bikes on earth
                          The M4's still sound fantastic!

When I sold the bike it had 42,000 miles on the odo and still ran like a top.
                          Still does! Hands down the most fun I've had on a motorcycle!

I'm glad you bought the Priller! Thanks Mark!

Comment

You bought Wing's bike??
                            I didn't know that.....8)

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dub
                              You bought Wing's bike??
                              I didn't know that.....8)
                              Yep, he's her new master.
                              I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Working...
                              X