X

My sold katana burst into flames??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sold katana burst into flames??

So the dude I sold my katana to(04 600 8k miles) texted me today saying the bike burst into flames randomly?? I can't post pic because only internet is through my phone but its burnt man lol. So far he isn't asking for reimbursement(which won't happen)but any reason a katana would catch on fire?? Lol thanks for responses in advance.

If someone throws a match in the gas tank...
    Honestly there are a few ways a bike can catch on fire. But it would be the fault of the current owner.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

If it burst into flames it sure as hell was not "randomly".

Comment

fuel leak or faulty wiring
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

My last ride on the pre engine had a fuel leak, buy the time I got it home there was fuel all over on the back side of the engine! Im just glad there was no fire, but there are a few ways a bike could go up IE (fuel, wiring, match in the tank ...).

Comment

I'm gonna go with carbs overflowing fuel OR a fuel line leaking on the alternator. That is right under the carbs and would do it.

Comment

We used to call that Jewish lightning in the old days
              Ride like it's your last ride
              sigpic

Comment

On the bright side, he could become a performer in the circus, right?

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Don't judge me..... Lol but..

My last bike ..... I had an old 85 ninja... That needed a lot of choke time to warm up.... Well, I noticed it was low on coolant (a bit)... And one day I started it... Left it running (warming up with the choke on)... Outside and forgot about it for a bit... Came back and it was on fire. In the driveway.... !!!!!! Scary, scary stuff.

Comment

The scientific term for what happened is: "Spontaneous Kat-bustion"
                    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Well I would like a little more info here.
                      1. How long was new owner in possession of the bike before the fire?
                      2. What mods had been done to bike prior to sale?

I have only heard of 2 reasons for a running Kats bursting into flames, (excluding Jewish lightning) and those where
                      1. Electrical problem
                      2. Crashing causing fuel leak.

As for leaking fuel line, I have a hard time buying that, I have seen Pre Kat with leaking petcock go on day long ride at a rally without bursting into flames.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Im betting higher than stock wattage headlight bulbs.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                          Im betting higher than stock wattage headlight bulbs.

Even that typically just causes the wiring to melt from what I have seen...

I mean if this guy has had the bike for more then a couple days then it is on him. If he rode it off and it did not catch fire then it is on him. If he test rode it and it did not catch fire then it is on him.

Honestly he woudl have to prove it is something that you knowingly did not disclose in the sale.
                          I am a Penn State fanatic.
                          Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
                            Even that typically just causes the wiring to melt from what I have seen...
                            True, jussayin, it's possible
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFury View Post
                              We used to call that Jewish lightning in the old days
                              I had a boss one time...

But yeah, that's where my money is. Dude bought it, it's his problem now.
                              Of the vehicles I've seen/know of catching fire, they've either been caused by gross negligence or accidents.

Example: http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/in...?topic=15288.0
                              Dude was told the previous session that he was leaking fuel. Went out for the next session without fixing the leak.

Although that said, NFPA disagrees with me: http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.asp...&cookie_test=1
                              Three-quarters of highway vehicle fires resulted from mechanical or electrical failures or malfunctions. Collisions or overturns caused only 3% of these fires but 58% of the associated deaths.
                              And some more interesting reading from my agency: http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/p...stics/v9i1.pdf

Bottom line, it happens, buyer had the opportunity to inspect the vehicle before agreeing to purchase. Buyer agreed to purchase the vehicle without duress or coercion. Unless you intentionally misrepresented the vehicle, hid damage, or performed improper repairs, you are not liable for damage. I would keep contact with the purchaser to a minimum. GL.

PS: IANAL, and do not take anything I say to be legal advice. If you are concerned, you should probably arrange for representation.
                              Last edited by thetable; 07-03-2012, 10:38 AM. Reason: disclaimer
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet
                              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                              X