No announcement yet.
X

60T sprocket and chain fitting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made some major layout mistakes on the sprockets!

Comment

Nice. So a 120 chain would work on a 15/50 setup then. Works for me.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
        Nice. So a 120 chain would work on a 15/50 setup then. Works for me.
        No not even close! Did you not read up there? I forgot to carry the 2 or something.

The tangent does decrease so you can't just add the number of links equal to the number of teeth,.
        For 15/60 you need 126 links. (the calculator gives odd numbers because with machine drive chain you can add half links.) However you need to check the center to center of the sprockets. I'm strongly guessing that it is 27 inches, however you need room for adjustment. In fact bear in mind that because the chain will stretch at a % of total length this longer chain will stretch faster than a stock chain. That is you will get to the end of the adjusters faster.
        So you can go with 126 links for a calculated center to center of 27.28 inches.
        Or 124 links with a center to center of 26.65 you need to see what one is the closest..

Comment

You can only ORDER even links. It would be 121 when I was done with it.
          Again no! I mentioned this up there but so everyone understands.. On a motorcycle you can only use links by 2.. 120, 122, 124, 126....

Comment

Umm...did you not read? Not to sound like an jerk, but MY setup would be 15/50, not 15/60. I was hijacking the thread after you posted that calculator.
            -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

I have a 51 tooth Vortex sprocket and the calculation chart that was provided in the package to figure out how many links your chain needs to be is this: The number of teeth that were increased, divided by 2, add 1, then add that number to however many links on on your stock chain. So if you were going to use a 50 tooth sprocket you would be going up three and the formula would be: 3/2=1.5+1=2.5+118=120.5 and since you can only get them in even numbers get a 122 and remove a link if you need to.

Comment

Yeah , THAT sounds like the equation I read the other night ! Hey , whaddya know , I found it on the back of my new Vortex sprocket as well !
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Only reason I could see putting a 60T up front is to wheelie easier. +3 in the rear will make abig enough difference in bottom end torque. And if you go up 13 teeth, you need to go up 13 links, which is 131 from stock 98+.
                  60T up front ya right

and the next question is how do you install fork seals???

Comment

Umm...did you not read? Not to sound like an jerk, but MY setup would be 15/50, not 15/60. I was hijacking the thread after you posted that calculator.
                    Well I originally posted a bogus calculation stating that the 15/60 would work. However at the same time if you drop a post into the middle of a thread you can't get your panties in a wad cause I read 15/50 as 15/60.. Now 15/49 or 15/51 would have stuck out more..

Comment

Originally posted by rwcreigh
                      Only reason I could see putting a 60T up front is to wheelie easier. +3 in the rear will make abig enough difference in bottom end torque. And if you go up 13 teeth, you need to go up 13 links, which is 131 from stock 98+.
                      60T up front ya right

and the next question is how do you install fork seals???
                      Huh...up front would be interesting. I obviously meant in the rear.
                      -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

well after some reconsideration, i've decided to go to upgrade only to a 53T, because i suppose 60 is a bit much, although yea, the point of gettin a 60T was strictly for wheelies, since by the time i get the bike up to a decent balance point in first gear i'm at about 9-10,000rpm's n i'm not quite coordinated/comfortable enough to shift into 2nd in a wheelie yet, especially when i've just rached a balance point. plus i also enjoy whizzin through corners and i dont want a drastic decrease in handling, nor do i want to experience my front wheel washing out and me eating pavement (which i've already narrowly avoided a few times with highsides, i dont think i could get a lowside back under control)

but thank you for all the useful information, cuz i still need it for the 53T

Comment

Working...
                        X