X

Runs Rough

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runs Rough

Have a 99 Kat 600. Runs fine unless I don't run it for at least a day. Then, the next day it runs rough as though it's not getting enough fuel. Have to run it for at least a day this way then starts to smooth out. Is it possible that I need a carb kit. 55k miles and I don't think it's ever been done(second owner). Suggestions ????.......................

Not leaving it on prime , are you ? And I've found that most bikes seem happiest running every day , while my car seems happy to have a breake .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

No it's not on prime. When I first got it, I could leave it for several days and it would start up and run just fine.

Comment

How long has it been doing that? Bad batch of gas that is going "stale" really quick? With the change in season is it possible that condensation is collecting in the bowls or elsewhere along the fuel line? Is the (I don't know what it's called) vent-thing clogged - causing vapor lock from sitting for a day?
        1994 Naked Katana 600
        Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

Is it hard to start? Maybe you are fouling the plugs and it take a while to clean up..

Comment

To Damian and Black_Peter. No bad gas. It's been like this for the last couple years. Plugs are new and it did it with old plugs when they were new. Anyone had or is having the same problem?........Larry

Comment

It's lonely...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                It's lonely...
                It's got pre-envy.
                1994 Naked Katana 600
                Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

Re: Runs Rough

Originally posted by eosrules
                  Have a 99 Kat 600. Runs fine unless I don't run it for at least a day. Then, the next day it runs rough as though it's not getting enough fuel. Have to run it for at least a day this way then starts to smooth out. Is it possible that I need a carb kit. 55k miles and I don't think it's ever been done(second owner). Suggestions ????.......................
                  IMHO:
                  Rubber parts are generally good for 5 years. A '99 was built in '98 as a '99 model usually, so it's now 8 to 9 years old.
                  I would start by replacing every o-ring on the carb, the fuel lines and cleaning the slides very throughly (slides can be washed in warm water with dish detergent), plus clearing the smaller passages in the carbs.

At 55k miles & 8 years of service, there's also the possibility of needle damages (check your needles for notching) and the potential for worn out emulsion tubes. If you suspect this is the case, start watching eBay for a set of carbs off an 04+ Kat 600 to swap with (figure $60 - $100 is the going rate unless spring has driven demand way up). Replacing them with newer ones will rectify the secondary problems and is probably going to end up being cheaper than replacing the emulsion tubes with new ones if that's the case.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X