Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Mesh grill inserts question (gutter guard)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh grill inserts question (gutter guard)

Ive seen a lot of bike with grills (gutter guard) in the side fairings. Ive used this before on my Integra bodykit a long time ago. I have a question, on my right side of the bike my fairing is completely flat against the frame with NO space or room for an insert. It's also the same near with the airbox it's right up against the fairing. I have a pic to show, I BARELY can squeeze a quarter in there. The left side there is a space between the frame and plastics where the grill could fit (prob 1/4" or 1/2"). Is this normal or has my bike been possibly dropped bending something pushing the fairing up against my frame and airbox?

-noodlemice
    Attached Files

One thing to remember is that the gutter guard is not that thick. My bike has the same clearance issues. It should fit without any problems. Then again, I haven't done it. I'm just going with what I know about gutter guard and the spacing.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

Are you talking about the gutter guard from Home Depot that's like $8 for a 4'x8' sheet that's 3D aluminum diamond shapes? Cause it's at least 1/4". It's very bendable and you cut with tinsnips, I could see possibley flatting it out around the fairing hole edges, but that would distort it a lot.

I know there is more expensive inserts that are completely flat, but are stiff almost steel grill you have to cut with a grinder or dremel. They don't look as good either.

Comment

the gutter guard is very bendable worked like a champ on mine

i painted mine white

"I'm not bad...I'm just drawn that way..."
        Jessica Rabbit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3iUp9UjuMo

Comment

i did the mesh mod, it will fit in there nicely, no problem at all.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

just finished painting mine the other day. BLACK. i will post pics when i put them in.
            "It is not how these officers died that made them heroes.... It's how they lived"

Comment

What did you use to secure the mesh in place?
              "If they think you're crude, go technical. If they think you're technical, go crude."

Comment

i used quick dry J B weld, a little messy but holds good.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

i used DURAMIX SUPER-FAST ADHESIVE #4747

got it at the local napa store .... just be ready to stick all mesh down at the same time or the stuff will harden...yes its that fast set... it says sets in 30 sec. or less

"I'm not bad...I'm just drawn that way..."
                  Jessica Rabbit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3iUp9UjuMo

Comment

Black silicone....not caulk pure silicone . No problems whatsoever. Just let is set up a while approx 1 hr. I did mine while I adjusted my valves.
                    Fyi heres a pic of my "tip" adjust your idle with mesh. Mine is zip tied under the oil fill door.
                    Attached Files
                    Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

JB Weld seems like a great idea. Dries quick so you don't have to hold it in place while it cures.

DoyleDee, what exactly is your 'tip', how did you relocate your idle adj.?

-noodlemice

Comment

I removed the idle adjuster from the carbs(with the bracket) placed a washer the same thickness in it's place and relocated that bracket under the filler door... Just try to adjust your idle with the mesh in place and you'll see why I relocated it. In the picture is a magnetic extendable screwdriver with the bit at the adjuster head.
                        Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

Cool idea doyledee

Comment

Working...
                          X