Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Lower fork bolt rounded. Thoughts on removal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower fork bolt rounded. Thoughts on removal?

The bolt on the very bottom of my left-side fork was rounded when I went to pull it apart and replace the fork seal. I can't cut a slot for a screwdriver with it in there like that, I don't have a Torx bit that fits in a 6mm Allen hole, and my EZ-Out won't reach far enough. I don't have any ideas on how to get it out from here. Does anyone else?

EDIT: Alternately, is there any way to replace the old fork seals without tearing the fork apart?
    Last edited by thebook92; 04-19-2015, 03:21 PM.
    1995 600 w/ 750 swap (aka the cause of 90% of my current headaches)

Carefully drill the head off or as some say works drive the next size Allen wrench into it.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I've drilled the head off before. Not super easy but definitely doable.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I did try the bigger Allen method but nothing I have fit. Looks like I'll be drilling it out. What size drill bit should I use? I'm thinking a 3/8" one should do the trick.
        1995 600 w/ 750 swap (aka the cause of 90% of my current headaches)

Comment

Originally posted by thebook92 View Post
          I did try the bigger Allen method but nothing I have fit. Looks like I'll be drilling it out. What size drill bit should I use? I'm thinking a 3/8" one should do the trick.
          Use a 5/16" drill bit as that is the same size as the bolt itself, All you want is to just drill the head off the bolt and no further.

Tmod

Comment

Working...
          X