X

PAIR system question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAIR system question

So I pulled the header and pair system off my 1990 1100 today. Idiot PO didn't have a clamp on the midpipe to header and wondered why it was so loud....

It's a california bike, so I pulled the PAIR system off. I want to make sure I got everything... lines just under exhaust, vac lines to carbs, valves under tank, and canister on left side of rear.

Also, would it be better to try and sell all this emissions junk, or use the flanges on the lines to make plugs on the head? I really doubt anyone would want to keep a bike Cali version if they didn't have to, but who knows?

Thanks in advance.
    1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Do a search and find my post about turning a CA bike into a non CA bike. I saw a test review and it looks like a CA bike .5 secs slower in the 1/4 mile.
    You can get rubber vacuum caps to plug the the pair pipes.
    I replaced the appropriate parts in the carbs, put an advancer on and the bike was noticeably faster, better running.
    With the CA jetting, it felt funny, as if it were too lean down low and too rich on high. Had a lean stumble, just felt off. With non CA jetting (and a Factory Jet kit- the needles they have are the best!), all is well.

Comment

No one will want the PAIR system, just trash it all.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I agree with everyone else. I removed mine as well, and I just used some aluminum to make block of plates. Use one of the pieces you removed as a template for the shape and holes to drill. If you do manage to sell the system, let me know, as I still have mine taking up space in my second garage!

Comment

I left the pipes on my bandit , just plugged the rubber hoses at the other end with wire nuts
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I will keep a few parts around in case there are other uses for them, but mostly just trashing the stuff.

Have the carbs apart now, so The jet kit that was in it when I got it will be installed properly. (PO didn't put the needles at the correct position and didn't clean everything.)
            1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

Keeping the PAIR parts is only worthwhile if you are worried that some day, they will inspect bikes for smog compliance, as a requirement for registration. While I can concede that is a possibility, it is also as possible as me buying a lottery ticket and winning $40 million.
              These bikes are old- 20 years is old for a car, 20 years is ancient for a bike. Should they ever inspect bikes, they'll be checking into pcm's and functioning catalytic convertors, not the evap systems of bikes older than the guy doing the inspection!
              If you have a Dynojet kit, dump it, get a Factory kit. I ran a Dynojunk kit in my bike for years and the carbs ate the emulsion tubes like pez, went through two sets. I blame the funky DJ needles.
              The Factory site has pics of bad emulsion tubes and they look like the top hole has been worn oval. Not mine- they merely look slightly larger, with maybe shiny spots on the rim from wear. They might look fine, but hold up a new emulsion tube for comparison and it is obvious. Call it a combo of bad DJ needles and CA spec emulsion tubes.

Comment

Working...
              X