X

bar end mirrors?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bar end mirrors?

I broke the front end fairings on my 2000 600F and the piece that holds the mirrors on went with them. I'm trying to get mirrors in time for bike week (this weekend) and it seems like the only quick fix is bar end mirrors. Forgive me for being a noob at this, but do bar end mirrors fit in the handlebars on katanas? from what I've seen it looks like the mount has to slide into the handlebar and mine have a nut welded in the end to hold the weights on. Any suggestions?

Answer found

I did some digging and a lot of googling and eventually found out that standard bar end mirrors do not fit in katana handlebars. the small machine screw that attaches the weight to the end threads into the nut that is welded into the bar. a typical bar end mirror screws into the handlebar by the threading that would be inside the entire tube. not sure i explained that well, but long story short, they won't fit.

Now i've seen bar end mirrors on kats, so there must be a way or a specialized mirror that I havent seen. I'll look into it and if anyone else knows how please share

Comment

There are slugs that are threaded for the bar ends. Grind out the two tack welds and the slug comes out. Use the bar end screw to create a make shift handle to pull the slugs out. I love my bar end mirrors, I think they work better than the stock mirrors. Two downsides:
      -You have to look down to check your mirrors.
      -No bar ends, so you get some vibration through the bars at higher speeds.

Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Yeah or see if you can figure how to use the screw for the weight.

Comment

HemiKat,

Thanks for the info. I looked through your thread on your build up and it's pretty impressive, nice job! I decided to just get some cheap bolt on mirrors for this weekend, but getting those bar ends on is still in my plans.

I didn't quite understand how the threading in the handles worked the way you explained it though. The slug that you're referring to, can you go a little more in depth on that? everything I know about the bar is that the small nut is tacked in on the end, the rest seems to be hollow, and there is the hole in the top for the start switch to mount in and the pressed grooves in the other end for the screws to line up with when mounting it.

You say to grind out the tack welds (i assume you mean the ones holding the nut inside the tube) and the slug comes out. You've lost me there because I don't see anything else inside that would fall out. And once I get the nut (and the slug?) out of the tube are there threads already inside? And wouldn't the weld material get in them? If not I feel like tapping threads in chromoly steel would be quite difficult by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by lighTToast View Post
            I didn't quite understand how the threading in the handles worked the way you explained it though.
            Not to jump in but I'm jumping in..

The "slug" or nut or whatever you want to call it. It welded into the handle bar tube. The handle bar is a regular tube with a plastic cap on one end. It isn't anything fancy, just mild steel.
            Hemi was suggesting that you grind off the weld (or at least weaken it) then using the same size screw (or the same screw) for the bar end weight, to wiggle out the slug.

Bar end mirrors come with an expansion plug. Some are metal some are rubber. So once the slug is out you push the bar end mirror's plug in, and when you tighten the screw on the mirror the expansion plug swells and holds it in the bar tube.

There might be bar end mirrors that mount to the slug. Bar end mirrors are pretty popular now. Could be someone sells them as direct replacements to the weights..

Comment

[QUOTE=Black_peter;2034824] Bar end mirrors come with an expansion plug. Some are metal some are rubber. So once the slug is out you push the bar end mirror's plug in, and when you tighten the screw on the mirror the expansion plug swells and holds it in the bar tube.

Thanks for explaining the process. I think I know enough to figure out how to do it now. Just one more question (just curiosity getting to me). If the plug that expands is what holds the mirror on, why is there a threaded portion sticking out of the end of the plug? the only thing I can come up with (if it's not used to screw into the bar) is that its connected to the expansion plug and as it is "tightened" the plug is compressed axially allowing for radial expansion.

Sorry for the technical wording at the end...I'm an engineer and it was the best way i could explain what I was thinking

Comment

1 pic = 1000 words

Comment

Ok, so an even simpler solution is to do what I did on my fighter.

-Keep the welded in tabs in.
                  - Most bar end mirrors come clamped onto a slug that should go into the end of the bar, take it off that.
                  -Get a longer machine screw and sandwich them between the bar end and the bar itself.
                  - if you are really worried about it coming mack out, use blue locktite.

I did this and rode it no problem. They did not move at all, and I still had my bar end weights. The plus is that you keep the threaded tab for when you one day want to fix the fairings and go back to stock mirrors or something not bar end.

Comment

Originally posted by venturesomerite View Post
                    Ok, so an even simpler solution is to do what I did on my fighter.

-Keep the welded in tabs in.
                    - Most bar end mirrors come clamped onto a slug that should go into the end of the bar, take it off that.
                    -Get a longer machine screw and sandwich them between the bar end and the bar itself.
                    - if you are really worried about it coming mack out, use blue locktite.

I did this and rode it no problem. They did not move at all, and I still had my bar end weights. The plus is that you keep the threaded tab for when you one day want to fix the fairings and go back to stock mirrors or something not bar end.
                    Thats kind of ingenious, and would actually fix my vibration issue. I may have to try this....

Comment

Thanks guys! I think this is more than enough to give me a good understanding. I do really like venturesomerite's idea and i will look into that before having to grind anything out

Comment

Here is how mine looked when i had it as street fighter and when i bought fairing and started building the bike back up. just to give u an idea if how it would look.

Vlad The Russian

Comment

And they think my mirrors stick WAY out lol
                          Judge us not the scavengers that persecute humanity..

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad View Post
                            Here is how mine looked when i had it as street fighter and when i bought fairing and started building the bike back up. just to give u an idea if how it would look.

I really like those mirrors, could you tell me where you got them from?

Comment

Hey Vlad, you still able to have bar ends on with those? they are nice
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Working...
                              X