No announcement yet.
X

97 kat 600 750swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a post 750? Wouldn't you suggest swapping on an older 750 head for over-bore purposes arsenic?

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
    Gotta figure, a 771 in an almost 600 pound bike is still a dog when it comes to accelerating...
    My 771 will be quite nice. Although most of the stock 'weight' of my kat is not present.
    Last edited by cintidude04; 01-10-2012, 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
      My 771 will be quite nice. Although most of the stock 'weight' of my kat is not present.
      The frame and engine are, thats like 900 pounds right there
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

the engine in it now is an 86 gsxr 750 rated at 100hp 53tq the 02 gsx 600 is rated 80hp with 39tq and the 98 gsx750 is rated 93hp with 49tq. am i really gunna notice that much of a difference between either the gsx600 or gsx750 compared to the 86 gsxr 750? its my first bike or i wouldnt ask forgive my ignorance

Comment

Originally posted by zoomzoomkat View Post
          the engine in it now is an 86 gsxr 750 rated at 100hp 53tq the 02 gsx 600 is rated 80hp with 39tq and the 98 gsx750 is rated 93hp with 49tq. am i really gunna notice that much of a difference between either the gsx600 or gsx750 compared to the 86 gsxr 750? its my first bike or i wouldnt ask forgive my ignorance
          Trust me, you dont want a Katana engine...ESPECIALLY not a post 98 engine...

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

touche
            But to the OP, unless your willing to put alot of money and time into the engine build process as I am in the process of and arsenic as well as some others have done, you'll be much more satisfied with a stock 750 or for more pep just upgrading to the larger 1127 or 1157 engines.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

im leaning towards the 750. i really dont feel the need for a 1000cc+ motor. im just planning on keepin this bike running for as long as i can for as cheap as i can. n do some performance things here n there. im gunna try and find a pre 98 750 but i cant find any with miles that are low enough to consider buying

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                With a post 750? Wouldn't you suggest swapping on an older 750 head for over-bore purposes arsenic?
                The head has nothing to do with it. The cylinder block on the other hand. Yeah if you have a 98-06 engine, an overbore is a no go. Nikasil planted cylinder sleeves.

Originally posted by zoomzoomkat View Post
                im leaning towards the 750. i really dont feel the need for a 1000cc+ motor. im just planning on keepin this bike running for as long as i can for as cheap as i can. n do some performance things here n there. im gunna try and find a pre 98 750 but i cant find any with miles that are low enough to consider buying
                If you over bore a pre 750 and use new pistons, just replace the main crank bearings and rod bearings at the same time. Than mileage is essentially 0.
                Last edited by arsenic; 01-10-2012, 08:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

would the carbs i have on the 86 gsxr 750 fit the gsx750 the engines look identical

Comment

Doesn't the 86 GSXR 750 use BST34SS carbs? The 89-97 750 Katana uses BST36SS carbs. BTW I really don't care how identical the outsides of the carbs look. The jetting itself isn't even in the same ballpark.

Comment

wouldnt they still fit if theyr both 750 engines

Comment

Should fit if you swap the boots as well. Work? That will be trial and error.
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Um, no...

Comment

Why swap to a smaller diameter carb though? Unless your just trying to save money.
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Carburetors are the most critical element of your motorcycle. Just throwing carbs on any old engine because they look the same will lead to multiple "why doesn't my bike run right" threads.

Comment

well it has bin a hot minute. ill put a picture up of how it is now. I left the carbs on it. found out that it is an 86 gsxr oil cooled motor. I found that out when I destroyed the clutch last spring. put a streetfighter headlight on took fairings off, had to sort out a lot of electrical connection issues. I think I threw the timing off so im going to check that out over the winter and I know that I need to rebuild my fork seals before next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X