X

Securing bike in pickup

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing bike in pickup

How exactly doi do this? i am planning on bringing my bike down this week but i dont know how to secure it in the bed of the truck. Also any tips on getting it in the truck? what can i use for a ramp, or do i need t buy one?

Thanks!
    2005 600, Chopped Shovel, Smoked Turn Signals and Rear Light, 14/50 Sprocket Change, Lubetronic, Whiteface Gauges, Chrome Reflective Screen, Anodized Bar ends and Levers, Met. z3's and some nuts and bolts!!

Do a search for "tie down hauling" (search for all terms) and it will bring up what you need.

Comment

I use a ramp I bought about 7 years ago, best $50 I have spent for bikes! And I use 2 tie downs from the front hooks or the box rails to the handle bars and a stand on the rear. That's it.
      Less weight is more power!!

Comment

One of the most horrifying bike events I ever witnessed was a YZ 250 that was not secured properly in a truck. One tie down snapped and the bike fell over the side. Unfortunately the other tie down held and the YZ was dragged, or more acurately hammered repeatedly into the side of an otherwise beautiful pickup.

By the time the guy pulled over the bike was in about 20 pieces and everything from the drivers door back looked like somebody repeatedly beat it with a double bit axe.

Do not try to save a buck on your tie downs and make sure the anchor point in the truck bed/rail will not come loose.

That being said, I have hauled everything from scooters to Ninjas over the last 20 years without incident. Just trust your judgement. If you think it ios shaky, it is. If you are confident it is secure, don't worry about it.

Carl-
        "Ignoring the facts does not mean that they cease to exist"

-Aldous Huxley

Comment

one word...Canyon Dancers.....OK..thats two words...and DO NOT BUY IMITATIONS (right Junior)

Also...do not let Haggisman drive the trailer through the Gap (right Freckles)

Check out the thread in the Deals Gap Forum...lots of info about hauling bikes...and a GORGEOUS red F-150 with two sexy Daytonas picture as a bonus!

Comment

We have alot of experience here on KR with hauling bikes so you'll find pretty much everything u could ask for with all the previous threads posted up

Comment

Ok so here's my problem.......

1) My dads dakota doesn't have those tiedowns on the front of the bed... just the side

2) I've NEVER put anything in the backof a trailer lol

3) I have an incline were i'm gonnapick it up but where i load it off..... nada it's pretty much a beach.

Is there a place that rents trailers likehual or something? I think that would be a better idea....
              2005 600, Chopped Shovel, Smoked Turn Signals and Rear Light, 14/50 Sprocket Change, Lubetronic, Whiteface Gauges, Chrome Reflective Screen, Anodized Bar ends and Levers, Met. z3's and some nuts and bolts!!

Comment

You can rent a box van that will have a pull out ramp.

It is about 3 feet wide. I had a freind that rode an Indian Cheif into the back of one, but the less brave (smarter?) have two or three to help load by pushing.

You can also rent a flatbed and pretty much load yourself.

Either will have plenty of anchor points.

My 2001 Dakota Quad has two anchor points up front from the factory and if you drop the gate, there are two more where the gate locks in.

For that you need a decent ramp and some buddies.

Carl-
                "Ignoring the facts does not mean that they cease to exist"

-Aldous Huxley

Comment

You might want to look for trailer threads here at KR... A lot of our guys use a HarborFreight folding trailer that can be tilted back to ride or push the bike onto (I've driven Malloc's onto his a number of times). The trailer runs about $250 - $300 if I recall correctly.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Jhonyquest97
                    1) My dads dakota doesn't have those tiedowns on the front of the bed... just the side
                    This is all I have ever used is hooks on the side of the box. I just make sure the tie downs are really secure. Have never had a problem.
                    Less weight is more power!!

Comment

thanks guys... i haev to see what class the hitch is one the truck and then i'm gonna see if i can get a trailer from uhaul. They have one sepcifically for bikes. If not i'llprob just go and buy one.

Thanks again

Comment

i agree with gsxr6racer.use a extra strap just for the hell of it to be safe

Comment

Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

get a few friends together and pick it up. Buy heavy duty tie downs and tie to the handle bars. Do not stand the bike on its stand allow the tie downs to make the bike stand up straight.

Comment

Originally posted by rwcreigh
                              i agree with gsxr6racer.use a extra strap just for the hell of it to be safe
                              4 straps minimum.. 5 is better ( on the rear tire if u can to help keep it locked in place )..and 7 (2 extra on the front) just so you are, 100%, absolutely, positively, without a doubt, guaranteed, the bike isnt going anywhere. 7 maybe a bit of overkill but ive seen it done many times.

Comment

Working...
                              X