X

Corrosion control

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrosion control

Any thoughts on how to stop/prevent corrosion? I have only a covered carport and a nylon cover but extremely humid weather. I have noticed some corrosion forming all over. I do my best to keep it cleaned and lubed. Just looking for what works for those in harsh environments.
    "You're going to learn to dicipline your image. You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan here? Take a look at what I'm wearing people. You think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."

do you have a tarp or platic down?

Comment

I asked an engineer-friend of mine about this product a while back (which you could probably rig up to a regular 12-volt transformer): http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

He said it probably does work, or you could put a block of magnesium against the frame somewhere which is what tanker ships have supposedly been doing for years. Not sure where you find the block of magnesium though...
      There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
        do you have a tarp or platic down?
        No tarp or plastic just a carport open on 3 sides and a standard nylon motorcycle cover.
        "You're going to learn to dicipline your image. You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan here? Take a look at what I'm wearing people. You think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."

Comment

personally I would rent a locker from UHal or one of those companies. Or ask a friend, or family meber will a garage or a shed.

Comment

You could also use ACF 50

I dont have a completly sealed garage, more like a shed without doors.
            And being in the UK where if you blink you miss summer, this product does indeed help the engine from turning all fluffy and white and does a great job at stopping 99% of all corrosion in its tracks.

BUT a word of warning when applied and the engine gets hot it does tend to smoke like a room full of spliff yielding junkies.

Although it does this it soon stops and the great thing is that it has not evaporated or burnt away but sealed onto the engine like a plastic skin and only needs to be re-applied when you wash the bike with soap, if you only use water then the coating remains.

Tokalosh

Comment

That ACF 50 stuff sounds a lot like WD40 in the description of what it does...
              Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

IMHO:

For the aluminum, like the fork outer tubes, blue magic metal polish, which cleans off the corrosion and leaves behind a bit of a coating to prevent immediate further oxidation. Works on the control levers, foot controls, and any other unpainted metal on the bike.

For the steel and iron of the frame, I'd seek out a sacrificial anode (example: the magnesium CCnCoke mentioned -- you can find anodes at any marina in Hawaii among other places) and specifically bolt it directly to one of the unused bolt holes in the frame or rear subframe (yes, there are spare holes) using a star washer to ensure good contact.

For general bolts and fastners, I'd replace them with stainless steel equivilents.

Meanwhile, it's not rusting because of the humidity. It's rusting because of salt-spray and salt-laden sand when you're close to the ocean; washing or even just rinsing the bike more often will help knock the excess salt down. If you live within 500 yards of the ocean, spraying the bike cover with camp dry or another sealant will also help. Here in Florida, if you live within a mile of the beach, everything rusts like crazy; if you live over a mile away, pretty much nothing rusts (or does it very, very slowly -- 40 year old cars are usually rust-free here) -- and our humidity is about the same as yours.

Oh, and if the stainless steel equivilents (bolts/fastners) rust, then it means that you really are letting the salt build up way too high and need to rinse the bike daily.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X