X

Has my bike been lowered?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has my bike been lowered?

I bought mine about two weeks ago. I have noticed that turning is a little bit on the stiff side. I still need to check my tire pressure, but I think that maybe it was lowered by the previous owner. I adjusted my rear preload all the way up to "setting 7" since I am 205 lbs. It feels a little better. I also adjusted those screws on the top of the forks to "H". That didn't seem to make a difference at all. Any simple ways of checking to see if it was lowered?

measure the seat height and ask here for standard height

or measure the rear suspension dogbones (bolt centres) ...

have the yokes been dropped down the forks ?
    it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Dogbone? Yokes dropped down?
      Sorry, I've only been at this hobby for a few months now.

Comment

Unless it was really mild, if you posted up a side shot of the bike, we could probably tell visually. Otherwise, like NiteMare said, measure seat height. ~31" for a 98+
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

ill show you lowered!. I dropped mine 4 inches on sunday pictures coming this afternoon!

Comment

If your bike is the one in your avatar is doesn't appear to be lowered in the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Absolutnati View Post
              I bought mine about two weeks ago. I have noticed that turning is a little bit on the stiff side. I still need to check my tire pressure, but I think that maybe it was lowered by the previous owner. I adjusted my rear preload all the way up to "setting 7" since I am 205 lbs. It feels a little better. I also adjusted those screws on the top of the forks to "H". That didn't seem to make a difference at all. Any simple ways of checking to see if it was lowered?
              Remember, the preload dosen't raise or lower the bike, it does just that, pre-load the spring.

Now up front make sure the forks you adjusted are set the same. Count the clicks.

This is a dogbone connected to the rear shock knuckle.

STOCK

Adjustable for lowering.

I think your problem is your rear tire is "squared" where the center of the tire is worn more than the side from constant wear. It starts to flatten in the middle and on the Kat it causes feedback in the steering something fierce. Put a new set of tires on and it will turn soooo smooooth.
              Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
              '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
              '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
              '11 Kawasaki KLR650
              I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Yeah, it is the one in the avatar. The "clicks" are the same, but look a little different, which is consistent with what others were saying. The tire doesn't seem squared.

Comment

HOw old is the tire?
                  Is it the stocker?
                  '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                  '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

simple trick....has your sidestand been cut...does it lean on the sidestand?

The bike in the avatar has NOT been lowered.....bike is supposed to handle like crap...it is a Katana

Comment

This is a complete write-up where I lower my bike. Compare my pic to your bike.
                      Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
                      swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
                      Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Originally posted by Range View Post

The bike in the avatar has NOT been lowered.....bike is supposed to handle like crap...it is a Katana
                      Sidestand. You look at my sidestand it looks complete stock but 1/2" shorter. I had a great welder at work.

I lower my bike, its not stiff by any means. After I lower my bike I could throw it all over the place. The biggest downfall to lowering is ground clearance. When you lower it, the handle will improve. But will loss ground clearance so it kinda cancels itself out. Just depends where you live and your type of riding style

Originally posted by giftedwon View Post
                      ill show you lowered!. I dropped mine 4 inches on sunday pictures coming this afternoon!
                      I think thats way to much. In fact, I think a bike that low is unless. I am dropped in the Front 1 1/2" and rear 2". And I have to stand up on some speed bumps. Once I scrubbed at sharp turn that had a weird dip. Matt0302 has some serious scrub markd on his bike from doing a u-turn with a pass on back. AND THATS 2" DROP

OOO yeah I weigh 185 lbs.

Originally posted by Fox Fader View Post
                      Remember, the preload dosen't raise or lower the bike, it does just that, pre-load the spring.

Now up front make sure the forks you adjusted are set the same. Count the clicks.

This is a dogbone connected to the rear shock knuckle.

STOCK

Adjustable for lowering.

I think your problem is your rear tire is "squared" where the center of the tire is worn more than the side from constant wear. It starts to flatten in the middle and on the Kat it causes feedback in the steering something fierce. Put a new set of tires on and it will turn soooo smooooth.
                      Your stock link pic is what my lowering link looks like. Not the ebay version on the bottom. I purchased my lowering links for a KR member its looks clean.
                      Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 05-07-2008, 08:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      sigpic
                      Update Jul 11 2014
                      Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

My tires are stock from 03, which are the Maca-what-ever-the-f&ck-they're-called! I was looking into Continental Road Attacks, it's just that I have so much tread left on these that I'd hate to waste it.

It appears that my bike has none of the charactersitics of being lowered. Don't get me wrong, I can throw it around, it's just that I'm used to the GS500F which felt like a feather! The front wheel is what seems stiff and giving me "feedback".

I'd like for someone with Kat experience, in the area, to give it a whirl and tell me what they think. Any takers?

Originally posted by Range View Post

Lol .. ... dissapointing... but funny
                        Last edited by Absolutnati; 05-07-2008, 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I bet that tire is squared enough, but you just can't see it.
                          '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                          '11 Kawasaki KLR650

Comment

if my front tyre on my gsxr loses about 4psi of pressure i can feel it thru the bars as heavy steering ...

btw i have a conti road attack on the front and it gives me absolute confidence combined with sintered pads in the wet or dry
                            it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

My tires are stock from 03, which are the Maca-what-ever-the-f&ck-they're-called! I was looking into Continental Road Attacks, it's just that I have so much tread left on these that I'd hate to waste it.

It appears that my bike has none of the charactersitics of being lowered. Don't get me wrong, I can throw it around, it's just that I'm used to the GS500F which felt like a feather! The front wheel is what seems stiff and giving me "feedback".

I'd like for someone with Kat experience, in the area, to give it a whirl and tell me what they think. Any takers?

Lol .. ... dissapointing... but funny
                              First thing- Deep Six the Crapadamns for a set of metzlers or Pirrelli Strada's (take a look in the Tire section for ideas) handling will improve 10 fold. Also those tires are 5+ years old, the Rubber in them has probably Hardened up some So i would change them, unless you like Motarding a 500 lb Machine around

Comment

Working...
                              X