X

Grab bar, grab bag...so to speak.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grab bar, grab bag...so to speak.

I stripped the paint off my grab bar last night, and polished it.

Just for those who might be wondering, I used elbow grease. Started with 200 grit sand paper, and worked my way through 320, 500, 800, 1000, 1200 and 1500. Then wet sanded twice with 1200 and again with 1500. Used Mothers aluminum polish with a buffing disc from Advance Auto, and it looks rather good. Will be buffing with power buffer and disc every few days until I am satisfied. Thinking about clear coat once I like the shine.

And I know...

It's just a pain in the a$$ to load pics from camera to computer, then to Image shack, then resize them. But for those that want to know how it looks, I'll scratch yall behind the ears a bit. It looks like polished aluminum.
    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
    Semper Fi

sounds awesome im buliding another 92 kat and was thinking about doing it. if you ever get bored and feel like loading the pics let me know for sure!!
    RIDE TO LIVE. LIVE TO RIDE.

Comment

I want to see as well!!!! please get bored

Comment

I did the same thing to my grab bar..looks much better, and it was worth all the work. I had expected the metal to be much smoother..but alas, it was pretty rough.

Before it was the stock black (on an 06 600, Blue and White)..After:

Last edited by Sasquatch; 08-16-2008, 01:11 AM.
        It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

There ya go. That's what mine looks like, on a candy sonoma red bike. I'm thinking about doing a mesh mod now. Just want to make the mesh a stand out color. Something reasonable, of course, but different. I'll eventually get blue LED's done, and I'm keeping the bike red. Red and blue = Marine Corps NCO colors. I was thinking of going with either OD (olive drab) or a gunmetal gray for my mesh, as a personal Marine Corps touch. Thoughts on this?
          ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
          チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
          Semper Fi

Comment

makes me want to go back and repolish mine!~!! Good job sasquatch! QUestion though: Does anyone ever have to re-clearcoat if it gets a small scratch? Maybe I need more coats(used Duplicolor)

Comment

damn if they look that good under that crappy black paint, suzuki should have just left them alone instead of painting them,,,

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

I would suggest that you cover any scratches with a small amount of clearcoat again. Aluminum oxidizes instead of rusts. If you haven't scratched into the metal, another spot repair of clearcoat should make it look nice.
                As far as the polished aluminum - Wow! Very impressive.

I personally chose the easy way out - gloss black spray paint.
                Nelsonind

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                  There ya go. That's what mine looks like, on a candy sonoma red bike. I'm thinking about doing a mesh mod now. Just want to make the mesh a stand out color. Something reasonable, of course, but different. I'll eventually get blue LED's done, and I'm keeping the bike red. Red and blue = Marine Corps NCO colors. I was thinking of going with either OD (olive drab) or a gunmetal gray for my mesh, as a personal Marine Corps touch. Thoughts on this?
                  Here is Scout's Kat:

2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                  Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                  "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                  Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                  Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                  "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

me likes!!!! I gotta do it!
                    Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                    MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                    sigpic

Comment

glad i came across this, im putting my bike back together tomorrow and doing this to mine. nice pics btw

Fife

Comment

Working...
                      X