No announcement yet.
X

Tight turn + Sand = Severe Puckerage!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atleast you didnt panick, what caused my accident was me panicking when the back end got loose. I got nervous and grabbed both brakes like a total noob and the front end washed right out on me and next thing i knew i was a slippin and a slidin.

Jay
    2000 Kat 600 only mod is the D&D that came with it more to come soon though. Crash virginity lost 11/25/05....the rebuildin comes next HAHA

Comment

Originally posted by trinc

you shouldn't cut the throttle - you will add more weight to the front end.
      keep your throttle steady and drop your inside shoulder. when i feel the rear step out i start to roll on the gas.

glad you saved it
      tim

Beat me to it..Good advice trinc.

I was just going to say that you were lucky not to go down. I went down in almost the EXACT scenerio about 3 years ago. And I know I went down cause I closed the throttle. Anyways trinc said what I was going to, so.......
      Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Good thing to do , especially for those of us with colder weather, is take the cage and cruise roads ya notrmally ride when its warm.

Road departments make quick patches, and repairs all the time. Not to mention unannounced construction zones here in TN. There are several around here that I really like to rip into, but have learned to take a short car ride on my normal riding roads just after warm weather arrives to make sure none are a coffin waiting with my name on it.
        One project done, now on to the next few!!
        Explanation to girlfriend," I could be blowing time and money on strippers and booze!!!"

"Ahhh! The bliss of retirement and being broke all at the same time!!"

Comment

It happened to me too, But....

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. I just recently moved into a mountain community and went sight seeing on a beautiful winters day. The temp was around 60 degrees. So I went up a few mountains and found myself doing the speed limit, however a female in a minivan was so angry at the fact that I was going unreasonably, the correct speed and was riding me very close. So I decide to do the right thing and pull to the side of the road and stop to take it all in. I put my directional on and began to pull off. With both feet down preparing for a stop and slowing to about 4 MPH. I noticed a little gravel off the the side of the road I was pulling into. Well, I was commited and continued to stop when the bike just went right from under me. I stood up and tried to catch the bike. These things are damned heavy! So instead of killing myself I helped it down so it wouldn't scratch and I stood up. The B*tch had the nerve to honk at me!! Anyway, I got the bike back up started it and continued with my ride. Thankfully no damaged came to the bike nor myself. I love jerks that don't feel Motorcycles are vehicles too.

Comment

So if your in a lean and there is sand in the road you stay on the throttle??? I would think that if you stay on the throttle if you go through sand your rear tire will get squirly. I think the best thing that I woulda done it get the bike upright the most i could and braked as much as I could without locking them up and then right b4 the sand coast through it and hold on with no brake applied. Of course it is rare that we see sand in this part of GA in the first place.
            R.I.P. Jason you will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by RydeBye
              So if your in a lean and there is sand in the road you stay on the throttle??? I would think that if you stay on the throttle if you go through sand your rear tire will get squirly. I think the best thing that I woulda done it get the bike upright the most i could and braked as much as I could without locking them up and then right b4 the sand coast through it and hold on with no brake applied. Of course it is rare that we see sand in this part of GA in the first place.
              I think the goal is to keep the weight of the bike from shifting to the front wheel once you hit the sand, as it's much easier to keep the bike up after a tail slide than having that front wheel slide i'm assuming.
              What the deuce!?!

Comment

Definitely keep the throttle applied somewhat and be smooth. I did this as well on a well known route to me, sand wasn't there the day before and was there the next day. Don't think I slid as much as you because I didn't get the wobble, just both tires slid some and caught and I carried on. This is why I don't like riding that hard on the street anymore, too many variables! Now that I have done track days, I won't go back to going balls out on the street!! The track is where it's at!!
                Less weight is more power!!

Comment

You did good the only thing to do is ride it out...I know thats easier said than done.no brakes helps to ,each situation is different.I think a litte throttle would have helped the bike from coming out of it squirrly,but like I said each sitch is different...luck has alot to do with it..hate to say it but its true...

Comment

Working...
                  X