X

question on gear.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on gear.

I have been looking around extensively for stuff I need, stuff I don't need, stuff that's reasonably priced, stuff I can do without but might need in the future, different brands, different manufacturers, who has quality, who doesn't back up their products, so on. Honestly, I've been coming home every day this week with a headache because of it.

Here's my story. I am 26, have never ridden a bike until I bought my Katana last month. In the short time that I was in possession of this, I have already low-sided it at speed (10MPH).

I was wearing the standard noob gear, jacket (Fieldsheer mesh with armor), helmet (Fulmer AF400), and gloves (Olympia cheapies). Due to the fact that I had low-top sneakers on, I rolled my ankle pretty well.

Because of this, I have been looking around for more gear. For example, I know I need something to protect my ankles. Are calf-high boots really the answer, or is there something else that I am missing? Is there any ankle protection that's not $200 bucks? Based on my knee rash, I think pants are necessary. Has anyone used knee pads under the jeans? Is such a thing even made?

I'm not trying to cheap out on this stuff, I just don't want to spend 2246 dollars on gear (and based on how much this stuff is, I probably could do that) without really wrapping my mind around what I am really buying.

Hey Cheech,

You don't have to break the bank to be protected. There are plenty of web-sites that you can go to, to get good gear.

What I would suggest though is looking at better glove, some jeans with protection and over the ankle boots. This will get you started and keep you protected for the basic low sides. (I personally wear 2-piece leathers, but moved up to that)

Check out:

J&P Cycles, the industry's largest motorcycle superstore, offers over 700 brands of motorcycle parts, helmets, gear and apparel.

And look at their clearance items, so great deals on really good gear. Welcome to the site and biking. It's the best therapy any one can afford. Good luck.

Comment

www.newenough.com has a TON of gear on closeout and low priced everyday gear as well.. boots, helmets, gloves, jackets, pants, armour. That's always the first place I go when I need new gear and see what they have.

You could go there and pick up everything on that list above and not spend anywhere even close to the amount you posted up. It's all brand new, top quality gear, and their customer service is top notch.

Comment

OK. i got a set of icon motorhead boots. they r not calf high, but they seem to protect my ankle very well. plus they r not as uncomfortable as da high ones.
        and i also have a set of icon shin n knee protectors. i high chaired a while back n they done great to protect my knees!
        the other day i went into manhattan n picked up a alpinestars smx leather jacket,with hard armor in da elbow n shoulder, it also has a back protector.
        all da stuff i mentioned above cost me bout 560 dollars.
        jacket $350 , out da door tax included (took sum talk'n at him)

shin n knee guards were bout $60 ( got em out of a magazine, forgotten witch one)

and da boots were bout $150 ( got em from my local stealership at a discount price )

all this stuff might sound expencive but think bout if u were out o f work due 2 a spill. i think it worth it hav'n some gear 4 dat lil bit of insurance..
        << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
        KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

My number of 2246 bucks was just made up, just FYI.

I happen to live within 5 minutes of Iron Pony (www.ironpony.com) so I have been doing a lot of comparison pricing between the sites and there, as well as looking at some stuff in the flesh before buying it online.

How uncomfortable are calf-highs? Why would I buy them over over-the-ankles? I am trying to figure out commuting with this, once I have the blue water riding experience, and footwear is obviously an issue.

What is wrong with my gloves? They have the slightest bit of rash on the leather palms from the low-side, but it's barely noticeable. What would buying better gloves gain me?

Comment

The calf high boots offer better support than just the ankle high ones. Plus they offer protection of course around the calf too and you can tuck your pants into them, most of the time, as well. The normal riding boots that go up to your calf will feel alittle wierd when you first get them if you arent used to riding in them but you get used to it pretty quick.

There are a ton of different options for gloves..it really all depends on what fits you best and protects you the best, and what you like as far as style goes. Good quality gloves will last alot longer, the seams wont tear, and they offer alot of protection around the knuckles, sides of your hand, fingers, and palms. I dont know exactly which olympia style you have so they may not be as bad as you think when you mentioned they were "cheapies" .

Comment

I highly recommend wearing pull over pants with armor over your jeans. But if you really dont wana bother (especially on quick rides, etc) then how about kevlar reenforced jeans?

We're working out what the future holds for Draggin Jeans. Please join our mailing list to find out as soon as we know.

They weave kevlar into the knees and ass. Look and feel just like normal jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by TurboMike
                I highly recommend wearing pull over pants with armor over your jeans. But if you really dont wana bother (especially on quick rides, etc) then how about kevlar reenforced jeans?

We're working out what the future holds for Draggin Jeans. Please join our mailing list to find out as soon as we know.

They weave kevlar into the knees and ass. Look and feel just like normal jeans.
                I have read about these, but have also seen examples of low-sides where the denim and kevlar just scraped away at speed. Are these really a effective substitute for overpants, or am I looking at this wrong?

WildKat, these are the gloves I have now: http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...EET%20PRODUCTS

Comment

IMO theres no substitute for leather or armored pants. But in one of your posts you were talking about a jacket and jeans. If you really just want to wear jeans, kevlar is better than regular jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by TurboMike
                    IMO theres no substitute for leather or armored pants. But in one of your posts you were talking about a jacket and jeans. If you really just want to wear jeans, kevlar is better than regular jeans.
                    So I'm looking at this wrong, and there are really 3 different categories: leather/armor, jeans+kevlar, then straight denim.

I was talking about a jacket and jeans because that's all that I was wearing at the time of my crash. I found it interesting that my jeans didn't rip at ALL, but I still had a nice sized rash on my knee. Would kevlar reinforcement stop the abrasion damage on the inside (my knee) or the outside (the pants)? Is the only effective solution to this hard (or soft) armor with a padded inside for the knee?

Comment

The purpose of gear two fold: to delay the grinding of your skin until you either come to a stop or you leave the pavement. To soften impact from the fall etc to lessen chances of breaking bones etc..
                      In decending order of protectionIMHO)

CE Armored leather (tops in leather, kangaroo)
                      Leather w/ Kevlar
                      Leather (3.0mm thick or better)
                      CE Armored Kevlar
                      Jeans w/ kevlar
                      CE Armored Ti mesh
                      Jeans
                      Mesh

CE Armor has two parts;
                      Padding to help absorb impact
                      Hard shell to distribute impact force and
                      act as a grind delay.

Kevlar, when woven correctly can be as abrasive
                      resistant as leather however it lacks the stiffness and thickness therefore some of the protection.
                      It is often added as extra protection in high friction areas of leathers (glove palms for ex.)
                      and some leathers have kevlar stitching.
                      (not sure but I think thats hype)
                      Kevlar can be added to the butt, hips and knees of
                      jeans and this keeps your skin in these areas from getting ground to bone.. It will not prevent injury completely.

Ti Mesh is some wonder fabric. I don't put much faith in mesh. heard nasty things.

I think your assesment is right about your jeans..
                      I think you would have ended up with some rash with out armor..
                      A some rash is one thing.. A skin graft is another.
                      Remember this: the best gear is the gear you wear!

Comment

Well, you certainly got some responses, didn't you? Not sure you will even see mine, but here goes, anyway.

I almost always wear my Fieldsheer textile jacket and pants, both with CE armor, boots and good quality (but not most expensive) gloves, full face helmet or pull-up chin bar helmet, and earplugs. Whew! Getting geared up is a drill, I can tell you, and it cost some bux, but cheaper than skin graphs!

I think you are on the right track, with jacket and gloves. If you crash tested your gloves and they did okay, you may be okay staying with them. For some reason, hands don't seem to fare too badly in mc crashes, although I don't know why, or even if this is true or just my impression.

Pants- I like my textiles (summer set is Joe rocket) and feel like they are going to be much more comfy than leather, on warmer days. I bought a set of Motorcross CE knee pads, and tried them under the JR pants, but they were too bulky, and I did not like them. If I were okay riding in jeans (and I might, very occasionally) I would keep them and strap em on over the jeans. No hip protection, though, and none available to use that way. As an aside, I was taking stuff out of my Ranger pickup the other day and rolled off the talegate, landing on my hip. Ouch! Can't imagine what it would feel like to hit the ground at 20mph or faster.

Boots: I have two pair- a pair of Joe Rocket m/c boots, very zoomy looking and offer great protection, but are not comfy at all off the bike (I often tour and if I wear these bring a pair of Tevas or such) and a pair of GI Air Force Jump (combat) boots. I find myself wearing the jump boots more than the JR's, due to comfort.

Finally, protect your hearing- squish-in ear plugs are cheap and easy to come by (snatch 'em from your employer if you work in a shop and don't have qualms about that) or buy some at your local drug store. Get used to using them. I even use mine off the bike sometimes, when I play music in a loud venue/band or am listening to a loud band, or cutting the grass, but as I am a musician, I may protect my hearing more than the average bear.

Summary of my recommendations:
                        Jacket- one you have is great;
                        Gloves- may be okay with present ones;
                        Helmet- what you have is great;
                        Pants- try MX pads with your civvie jeans;
                        Boots- need over-the ankle, higher the better;
                        Earplugs- you mother will approve, and your ears will thank you later.
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Here's the fruits of my shopping at Iron Pony. Having access to a large retail store that sells all this stuff is great, if not a little overwhelming.

Anyway, I tried on the Icon Field Armor boot, as well as a Setup Vision calf-height. The Icon's look like, well, ass-kickers, and I'm concerned about shifting with the boot toes that thick. I'm also concerned about the lack of hard ankle armor, it looked to me like the main ankle protection is the fact that the boot was so stiff. The Setups were great, they were just a little too big and did not have the size lower. I am concerned with a more "race" boot the comfort level of walking around.

Pants:

Saw the Alter Ego's, I understand that these can be used as a overpant as well as a regular pant. Anyone have experience with the FirstGear Mesh Tex 2? They seem to offer a decent amount of protection, although some of the armor could use some upgrading. StevieB: Who makes the MX pads?

Since I got the Fulmer with the bike, and have no idea what it's been through, I bought a Scorpion EXO 400 helmet last night. Earplugs I will be picking up this weekend.

Comment

Any number of companies make the mx pads, I bought mine at Cycle Gear, they have a website, cyclegear.com.

You can get elbow and shoulder pads, too. They have stores across the country, and good prices, too.
                            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

newenough.com is great to deal with. I purchased a joe rocket mercury jacket from them, and got a chance to crash test it this week(deer 50mph) and it held up great.

Comment

Working...
                              X