rear fender removal pros/cons

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear fender removal pros/cons

Hey all,

might be removing 15-20cm of my rear fender on the Kat over the weekend.

Question i must ask as dealer bought it to my attention.

He said once i do it that when riding it wet the rear of my bike is then more subjected to mud and crap splattering up even on the back of my jacket.

Have those of you modified rear fenders experiance an obvious change such as this?

The bike will look nicer but i think i would rather my jacket/tailend cleaner in wet weather

ideas please?

roc

Pro's- looks
    Con's- Yes you do sacrifice a little wet protection, but it NEVER made it to my jacket, just all over the taillight, etc.
    Another con is that in some countries you're required to have a reflector at a certain spot from the rear tire, something.
    Live and Lean.
    When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
    "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
    Romans 3:23

Comment

Nothing ever got on my jacket....
      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
      18v Rigid Drill
      Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

gonna be removing mine soon cause i dont think the fender looks right on the bike. a little water or mud never hurt anyone.

Comment

i don't get water on my back either.
          sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
          A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

I removed my entire fender...never have had issues with mud/etc on my jacket
            It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Took a good chunk off my fender, but what does it matter if you get a little mudd on your tailight? After riding in the rain I wash my bike anyway. And it looks alot better.
              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

The shape of the tail section plays into whether you'll get water-spray, as does the tire size, once you cut your shovel down.

Other CON's:
                1. If you ride in groups, people will be less likely to ride behind you on any wet-surfaces (whether it's still raining or not), because they'll get more wet-mist-crud off your tire.
                2. If you want to mount the Givi brand hard-bags and use the Givi-brand side-rack mounts, you need the shovel at least as far as the blinker mounts + 1/2" or so to take the cross-bar and mount it securely.
                3. (Already pointed out by others: ) legal requirements in your particular state/nation. Most jurisdictions permit it as long as the license plate remains in basically the same spot and remains illuminated.
                4. (Safety issue: ) Many who cut off their shovels go a step further and replace their blinkers with smaller equivilents or surface-mounts. While these might "look cool", they do reduce your visibility to other drivers, esp. in low-light conditions.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  replace their blinkers with smaller equivilents or surface-mounts. While these might "look cool", they do reduce your visibility to other drivers, esp. in low-light conditions.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  I think u got it backwards, its harder to see in the day, but at night theres really no change, since any kind of light is going to show up bettter when its dark.
                  Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

Pros? It doesn't look near as ugly...

Cons? You won't be able to wheelie as easy because of the loss of counter-weight...

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      replace their blinkers with smaller equivilents or surface-mounts. While these might "look cool", they do reduce your visibility to other drivers, esp. in low-light conditions.
                      Originally posted by bubba
                      I think u got it backwards, its harder to see in the day, but at night theres really no change, since any kind of light is going to show up bettter when its dark.
                      Nope, I don't believe that I have it backwards at all.
                      The further out from the center of the vehicle you put the blinkers, the more visible the blinker action generally is to others. Six to eight inches spread can mean a lot more visibility.
                      The wider the field of focus is for the blinker assembly light, and the more lumens the light-system can put out, the more visible it is to others.
                      Small blinkers, surface mounts, and esp narrow-focus LED's reduce visibility of motorcycles to other drivers. That issue is made worse in low-light conditions (I'm not talking about zero-light, just low-light), where smaller, weaker or off-focus lighting can easily be overlooked by a cager. With the growing popularity by car designers to make the A and B pillars in vehicles extremely thick, the visibility to someone sitting 35-45 degrees off your bike can easily drop to zero or virtually zero, from their driver's seat viewpoint.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Pros: Looks cleaner, sportier...

Cons: If you don't like it, you can't easily put it back the way it was...
                        Sold: 2001 Katana 600
                        Bought: 2007 Kawasaki Z1000

Still waiting for my Braada Cowl... 62 weeks and counting... I'm told it will be worth the wait...

Comment

Does anyone have any pics showing how far cut was made on rear fender and what was it cut with

Comment

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

heres a thread for you
                            time to nut up or shut up
                            Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
                            The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

oh just cut that thing off haha
                              2000 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X