1984 Suzuki GS750S Katana Limited Edition #008

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Suzuki GS750S Katana Limited Edition #008

hey everybody!

I'm the proud owner of a 1984 Suzuki GS750S Katana. I received it from my dad for my 18th birthday (a few years ago now). I joined this site hoping to find some more info on it.

I'm told it's quite a unique bike. Supposedly there was a run of limited edition bikes celebrating Suzuki's 10th anniversary in the Commonwealth (or maybe just Canada?). Apparently there were only 200 made. This one is badged as #008.

Most of what I know is second hand from what my dad remembers when he bought it new, so there's a very good chance that I've been misinformed.

I haven't driven it too much, mostly because I'm terrified of laying it down (or worse). My plan is most likely to keep it as a collectors item, or to sell it and buy a newer Kat that I can drive.

If anyone would be able to give me any info on the bike, it would be REALLY appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

-Devan
    Attached Files

Hi Devan,
    I don't think that the bike is a limited edition as there are a number of them over here in South Africa for sale and on the road. I think perhaps it was marketed as a "limited edition" to celebrate Suzuki's 10th year in Canada. Ride it and enjoy it!
    Regards
    Mel
    MelWain

Comment

Didn't you post this exact thread a day or two ago? I already told you my opinion on who to talk to in that thread.

Just realized this was posted same day as the identical thread.
      Last edited by cintidude04; 06-25-2011, 08:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

84 Katana Limited

floatyghosthat,

You are correct on most of what you know about the 84. "Limited Canadian Edition" and that is exactly what it says on the side of the front fairing beside the number. I have one now and have had three others in the past. There is a registry of all known Limited Editions available to you if you join the Classic Katana Owner's Club. PM me and I will give you as much info as I can and hope that you would join the club so that we can add your bike to the list of known verified Limited's available. Also, It's a GSX750SE

Welcome to the club,
        Paul.
        Last edited by gammarider; 06-27-2011, 08:40 PM.
        Gammas and Katanas

Comment

it was a Canada only" thing.....and there is really no difference between them and the regular 750 pop-ups, besides the numbering. some people will tell you that the gold frame is one difference, but it is not. I have two normal ones and both have the gold frame as well.

I have been keeping my eyes and ears open for the last 5 years or so, since I bought my first one, to see what the difference is between the "special editions" and the regular ones, and to this day all I can come up with is that some are numbered, and some aren't.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thanks so much for the info guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
              it was a Canada only" thing.....and there is really no difference between them and the regular 750 pop-ups, besides the numbering. some people will tell you that the gold frame is one difference, but it is not. I have two normal ones and both have the gold frame as well.

I have been keeping my eyes and ears open for the last 5 years or so, since I bought my first one, to see what the difference is between the "special editions" and the regular ones, and to this day all I can come up with is that some are numbered, and some aren't.
              I agree that there is no real difference between the 84 Limited pop up and the 85 and 86 pop up.

Only difference I can remember is that the guages were different on the 84 Limited, they came in pearl White and the frame and engine cases were gold. and of course the number from 1 - 201 (yes 201 because I have owned that one). As far as I know there were none sold in Canada in 1984 that were not limited.

It has now been 27 years since the limited Katana has been sold and unless you have done a history search on a bike with gold frame (assuming it is original). Then yours could be from overseas, has had the numbers removed????? The white model was made from 1984 to 1987 and released to various parts of the world.

Case in point, this guy bought his from someone who imported it from Japan....

Gammas and Katanas

Comment

Nice machine!

Comment

Here is my '85 Canadian addition. They were all grey in '85,'86 here. Only the limiteds were white with gold frame, engine accents, frame, and of course a different set of gauges. 006 eh! Ted (Classic katana owners.....) will be happy to hear another one is still alive. I have onwed a few limiteds as well. Nice, keep that puppy, or, sell it to me. ahahahahahah

Last edited by katman1260; 06-29-2011, 05:00 PM.
                  Kat Parts Clearance Selling Everything

Comment

Im beyond jealous i love the look of those kats!!
                    "I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
                    - Michael Jordan-

My Build: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...02#post2085502

Comment

Haha,

well, like I said, I'm willing to consider selling it so that I can buy a bike that I'm not too afraid to drive. The problem is that I really don't know what it's worth. I don't particularly want to get screwed over, but I also don't want to be unreasonable.

-Devan

P.S.

It's all original. My dad bought it brand new, directly from Suzuki Canada. from what I understand, the only reason he even had the opportunity to buy it is that he used to race motocross and was sponsored by them. I still have the original bill of sale and all the paperwork. It has 19,513 kms on it.

Comment

I have seen them go for anywhere from $500 (That's what I paid for mine) to $4600 and that was totally restored. There is one right now on the Katana newsletter for $2200 with not original numbers on it. It all depends on what you will let it go for and what someone will give you for it ???? At least get it registered and verified with the club first, ensure that the history of it will continue.
                        Gammas and Katanas

Comment

Dont sell it for a new one, that's a horrible idea...
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by floatyghosthat View Post
                            Haha,

well, like I said, I'm willing to consider selling it so that I can buy a bike that I'm not too afraid to drive.

-Devan

Why are you afraid to ride it? You will find that it is a very forgiving bike where some of the supersports of today are not. I started on a limited #24 when I was 17 and had the time of my life.....Try it, you might find that it is cooler than you buddies R6 ? It has history. I have a 2000 R6 now and would trade it in a second for a Limited....but if i had the Limited I wouldn't trade it for an R6.....
                            Gammas and Katanas

Comment

Originally posted by gammarider View Post
                              Why are you afraid to ride it? You will find that it is a very forgiving bike where some of the supersports of today are not. I started on a limited #24 when I was 17 and had the time of my life.....Try it, you might find that it is cooler than you buddies R6 ? It has history. I have a 2000 R6 now and would trade it in a second for a Limited....but if i had the Limited I wouldn't trade it for an R6.....
                              I wouldnt trade my toenail clippings for an R6
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X