X

1985 Katana Pop-Up (Restoring)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnod View Post
    The bike looks great, you know of course if you let it go some guy will fix it for zilch and you'll have to see it going by every day.

Fix it, it'll be worth it all in the end.

You'll love it

Your so right... Never split an engine before. And parts are so hard to find for this bike, might as well see whats broke anyways.

If I try and hold it in second (foot up or down) it makes a "reverse gear whine" or similar noise. It shifts fine into gear, and through it. I think it may actually be the gear itself.

Steve

Comment

Steve, if you aren't a member yet, go check out www.thegsresources.com You will be able to find someone there that has either an 83 750 trans or an 85 GS700 trans. The 700 has the same trans so you can search that motor too. Ray.
      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Thanks Ray, I may have found a transmission from that site... while Im on vacation

Steve

Comment

I saw an ad on there for a bottom end for a 700 for sale today & emailed the guy to see if he would split the cases & sell just the trans. I wonder if you saw the same ad? Ray.
          85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

I have a tinted screen (new) for your bike. I have owned three of them two of which were limited edition bikes.

Ted over in Toronto has a stable of them. I was just there riding with him while I was visiting. He has some nice kats there. (Classic Katana Owners of North America). He posts on this site. He should be able to help you with any parts.
            Last edited by katman1260; 09-07-2009, 04:46 AM.
            Kat Parts Clearance Selling Everything

Comment

looks good, seems like factory condition from the pics...nice work.
              sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

Been a while since any posting to this thread; looking very nice. Too bad on the shifting probs, but as Suzuki Ray said, find a trans out of a 700E or 83 750E. If you don't like the hydraulic clutch, you could replace the sprocket cover with one from the listed bikes and convert to cable...

Whatever you do, don't get rid of it. These are really unique bikes and with yours in as nice a shape as it is, would be a travesty to part it out.

Ride your 1150 and at your lesiure, fix the trans. They're really not that difficult. Kind of like a big Erector set that, when finished, will do 130 MPH.

Comment

Thanks,

I have the parts and the time now, so going to start on this soon. SOld the 1150 to my brother, so this bike has to be up and running in time for Spring.

Steve

Comment

Glad to hear you have hung in on that bike. As others mention it is too good to just unload or worse, part out. The fella I bought my project from in Brampton, Ont. had one in the dark grey colour and in absolutely pristine condition. I think he sold it to Rob Wilton. It was sweet and yours is too.

The big problem with resurrecting old bikes can be, as you noted, lack of parts and money. There are parts out there and Suzuki does still carry many of them although they can be pricey. It cost me almost $45 for 12 rubber cushions and inserts ( for body panels) and things like head gaskets are around $75. BikeBandit is another source and they do have the fiches to look through. I heard that there is a parts interchange manual out there somewhere but haven't yet located it. In the meanwhile, I usually ask the folks on the GSR.

As you noted also, it does get pricey when you are farming out the work to the 'pros' so unless you have deep pockets or are handy and enthusiastic about doing the work (knowledge can come as you go along) it can be a huge money pit. Even being "frugal" as I am, projects can run away with you when you end up having to buy or fix other things that you didn't count on. The old rule of budgetting....double it and add half again is usually true with bike restos.

In your case the money is well spent as you have something relatively unique, becoming sought after and increasing in value. Finish fixing it up, keep it tidy and cared for and you will be able to sell it easily (if you choose too) for more than you have in it.

As the magazine says, "Ride 'em, don't hide 'em". Nice to see another gem brought back to life.

Cheers,
                    Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by BV1 View Post
                      Thanks,

I have the parts and the time now, so going to start on this soon. SOld the 1150 to my brother, so this bike has to be up and running in time for Spring.

Steve

Hey glad to see you're still in the game,You'll get it yet. I remember the first time I built an SBC, spending for me then ,big bucks. Then it ran like crap.
                      After much whining and gnashing of teeth, couple of days, and many beers, it turned out to be nothing more than a dist. set in place one tooth out on the cam.

Hey this'll cheer you up i just bought a 79 cbx, sight unseen to add to the 82 Kat 1100. And it's in Texas.

How's that for foolish???
                      Last edited by johnod; 01-21-2010, 07:01 PM.

Comment

^^Thats for the cheering up and sounds advice guys. Looking forward to riding this summer

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X