X

Newbie Questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Questions

I spent about 2 hours last night browsing this forum and reading a lot of posts and I think you guys have a great community here. I've never rode a motorcycle before but I've been thinking about getting one for a couple of years now. After reading so much last night, I've been convinced that the Katana is the right bike for me.

My question... Should I get the 600 or 750???

Let me give you some information to go on... I'm 31 years old... I've owned a lot of quick cars in my days and I've always been a fan of drag racing. I love the feeling of quick acceleration. I know a lot of you advise on getting the GS500 for a first bike but I really love the way the Katana's look. Anyways, I feel that if I'm going to be spending this much money, and this will probably be the only bike I will ever own, I want to get a bran new one, and probably a 750, since I'm already spending the money. I've owned high 12 second cars in the past so I'm well aware of being careful and keeping power under control. And I will probably never even crack the throttle wide open (maybe), but I just love the feeling of having the power and knowing that it's there to use if I want...

I looked around google for a bit trying to find quarter mile times on both of these but all I found was one for the 750, which is 11.90's, but I'm not sure if this information is correct... Could someone tell me what the quarter mile times for the 600 and 750 really are??

Also, after reading MANY posts about this, I've been swayed to take the rider's course before I even start riding.

Thanks in advance!!

-Justin

First off taking the MSF course is the best thing you can do for yourself, the training you'll receive will serve you well everytime you ride.

The reason many of us talk about new riders getting a GS500F or Ninja500 or something similar, is because they are easy to handle, there isnt too much power to be tempted to soon, insurance is relatively inexpensive ( although being a new rider you'll have somewhat higher premiums in general), and they are just generally very good, sound bikes.

The Kats are just as good a bike as any out there for beginners and seasoned veterans alike. If you think you can handle a 750 in a responsible manner then by all means. Even though they arent a "sport" bike by comparison to other options out there they still have plenty of HP and Torque to give you a great ride but also plenty to get you into trouble. Just take the MSF course, practice often, get some decent gear before you get the bike, and most of all

- respect yourself, your bike, the road, and other motorists and you'll have a great time joining the world of 2 wheels.

Comment

I think the recommendation to newer riders to stick to the smaller bikes is mostly based in control -- in that, a 50HP motorcycle is more forgiving to an inexperienced rider than a 100+HP bike would be.

If you grab a handful of throttle in a corner, a 50HP bike is much less likely to break traction and high-side or low-side you. Grab a handful in a corner of a 100HP bike and it's down you go.

Responsibility aside, if you haven't much experience on two-wheels, it's wise to go with a less powerful bike but not inadvisable to go with the more powerful one. Having an understanding of what the bike will do in response to what input is the most important thing.

Take a very academic approach. Read every safety article you can and adapt it to your riding style. Form good habits in the beginning. Taking the MSF Course is a great start, but the course alone won't make you impervious to danger. You have to LIVE safety on a motorcycle.

1. NEVER assume any motorist will obey the law, traffic signals or general rules of society. Always expect them to screw up. It only takes one of their screw-ups to end your life.
      2. ALWAYS wear gear. Gear can only protect you if you are wearing it. "It's just a short spin to the store" too often ends up being where accidents happen.
      3. Maintain control of not only your vehicle, but of the road as well. This means being a defensive driver to the utmost.
      4. Look as far up the road as possible.
      5. Don't outride your ability. Pushing limits in a controlled environment is one way to learn, but doing it with lots of hard, stationary objects to catch your fall isn't wise.

Just but a few tips that I ride/live by. There are many many many more out there. Read them and live them and you will be fine on a 750.

Comment

well given the fact your 31 and not 19 i would say a 750 kat would be a decent choice for a first bike they fact youve had fast cars in your life helps with the fact you relized that powerful vehicles are fun yet can put you in a world or hurt quickly. make it a lil easier to say yeah a kat 750 is a better choice although if you could find a used gs500 of ninja 500 cheap practice on it a lil till your feel comfortable and then sell it to the next guy then buy your kat. in the end its all up to you.

as far as 1/4 mile times i could pull 11.42 on my kat 750 so the info you found was probally correct

Comment

Since you've never ridden before, here's a common rule that goes around : All bikers have either already dropped thier bike, or are going to. I don't mean to discourage you but there's a very good chance you will drop your first bike. Most of us here have. And a new bike's value depreciates rapidly in the first year, and even more if dropped. If you don't mind taking that risk, then go for a new bike. Otherwise I'd recommend getting a slightly used bike to get you feet wet.

600 vs 750 ? You sound responsible enough to handle the extra power. If it's going to be the only bike you own, then by all means live it up.
          Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
          - Albert Einstein

Comment

I honestly don't notice much difference between the 600 and 750 Kat. Since it's gonna be your first bike, I'd buy whichever one is cheapest. They're both great bikes IMO. Good luck!
            ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

600 = cheaper Insurance

Comment

After having had an old Ninja 500 for a few months to learn on, the Katana 750 has been a great bike. If you take an MSF course, all will make lot more sense as a new rider - highly recommended before any purchase.

Comment

01blewkat summed up my reasoning. The 600 insurance was about $400 cheaper a year. It also had more than enough power for riding it around streets and a little highway.

I was able to ride a friend's 750 before testing out the 600 I bought. Where I noticed the difference was less travel needed on the throttle to get the 750 moving, and I think in retrospect I might like the 750 better for highway riding. One of my biggest issues was gas mileage. My 600 gets about 45 mpg with some pretty agressive riding, but I get about 50-55 mpg in the city by keeping it geared down more. I suspect that's not a lot of difference between the 750's fuel consumption though.
                  MikeG
                  Central Oregon
                  2006 Suzuki GSX600F
                  (That's a Katana for non-insurance-agent people!)

Comment

im a new rider, i took the msf course and it taught me alot. i would have never passed the test unless i took the class. but anyways, about the "power" of a 600 katana, its not that scary. my katana was the first bike i ever rode, even though i wasnt comfortable steering and stuff but if your smart, you'll be fine.

Comment

600 Kat was my first and only bike. I am 46, and find it has a good balance of speed and forgiveness. I have taken the MSF course, have a little over 2,500 miles on the bike and still feel I am learning every day. I like the looks of the 750, bought a 600 because the price was right. Best of luck to you.
                      What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Comment

i would get the 750 and i also did

Comment

Working...
                        X