X

Lessons learned

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons learned

As some of you might remember around October I tried to install a 750 motor in my Kat to replace the 600 that was in it. After 2 Months of monkeying around with it I finally put the 600 back in.
    The problem was that the 750 was a little too tired an engine. The compression was still within the service range acording to the manual but the difference between cylinders was too far apart. The thing wouldn't hold an idle worth beans. The final straw was when I realized that if you didn't downshift to first when rolling up to a stop you couldn't shift it down any further(shift fork?).
    I got the bike running last week and it feels good to have a bike to ride again. On the good side is that I did install my gsxr cams and bandit 1200 exhaust with the 600. I haven't given up on the 750 yet. I'm thinking of pulling the top end apart and refurbishing it and putting it on the 600 at a much later date.

Now I'm just happy to ride it again!

Glad you're back on 2 wheels..
    At least now you have an engine you don't
    need you can take your time and fix it up nice..

Comment

Too bad about the upgrade not working out but you still have a ride.
      "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

I can certainly understand your frustration. It is the old story of beginning a big project and then getting jammed up with problems and getting discouraged. Been there many times.

Hopefully, as you take a break, the ideas will begin to flow on how to make the 750 motor work. Hopefully you'll have the time and funds to make it better than new. Then when you do install you will have a much better bike than you expected!

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks guys
          The truth is I have two 750s. One is the Kat 750 that I just removed and a GIX slingshot 750 in pieces to play with. I have many ideas of what I want to do but money comes at a slower rate than inspiration.
          This will be next winters project.
          Damic

Comment

Congrats on getting back on the road... dont ya just hate it when you get all excited about doing a cool mod to your bike and then it backfires on you !!

Comment

Working...
            X