Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Looking at purchasing a new Kat today - suggestions on what to lookout for ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at purchasing a new Kat today - suggestions on what to lookout for ?

Heading out this afternoon to look at purchasing a new to me 96 Katana 750 with 7100 miles.
    Seller says it needs nothing that he knows of .
    Just selling it as its his wifes and its to big for her.
    He wanted $1100 and I talked him down to $800.
    All fairings/plastic is there and bike is fairly straight .

What should I lookout for as far as issues with this year/bike/motor ?

Thanx
    Last edited by Tuner Auto; 11-03-2012, 09:59 AM.
    96 GSX750 Katana , 88 GSX600F

Nothing specific to the year problem wise, as long as 2nd gear isnt on its way out and the engine is good.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

yeah , Im aware of the 2nd gear issue . This bike , according to the seller , needs nothing and everything works . We shall see

Comment

Check the oil in the sight window, specifically if the level is way over the F line. These bikes are known for gas washing. If possible smell the oil for gas.

Comment

Originally posted by hukeedo View Post
          These bikes are known for gas washing.
          Thats a general problem for any carb bike with a petcock and a neglectful owner...nothing about the Katana makes it any more prone...
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Stand behind the bike and see if it dog track to either side, look on clutch cover and belly pan see if its been scraped for drops, etc just everyday tell signs of neglect also check for rust starting to form on chain and fork because neglectful owners will allow that to happen

Comment

That bike looks like an awesome deal, I bet worse come to worse, you could part it out on ebay and get your money back.
              I have katana 1100 and a C14 and have no need or desire to get a katana 750, but if that deal came up in my area, I'd buy it just on principle alone!
              Hell, I'd take all the plastic off and teach my wife to ride.
              I think $800 for ANY bike that is barely broken in is a bargain.
              The things you have to be aware of are minor:
              You'll want to replace all fluids. The tires might be the original tires or at least pretty old so you might need to replace them.
              There is a chance that the valves need to be checked and carbs synched as they might not ever have been done. I think they are supposed to be done at 4500 miles, not sure.

Comment

Well I bought it and after my first ride on it yesterday and uber pleased.
                Never ridden a bike like this before.
                My 1st bike was a 81 GS550L so the configuration is totally different. Very happy.

So , bike has ....
                New front and back tires
                Home made windscreen since the original one was missing
                Carbs had been cleaned and synced 400 miles prior to my purchase.
                Idles low when warm (about 900-800) kinda drops below that even when warm .
                No ignition switch (toggle switch added by PO) , they bought it as a theft recovery bike.
                No gas cap key (have to use a flat head screwdriver)

I plan to pull and replace the plugs , fuel filter , oil and oil filter today.

Comment

Sweet deal!
                  If the bike idles smoothly at 800-900 rpm that's a very good sign. It should be idling a touch higher than that (1000-1200 rpm for the 750 IIRC) but that's an easy adjustment and doesn't even take pulling the fairing. There's a knob on the left side, visible through the square(ish) cutout in the fairing. Be sure the bike is completely warmed up before adjusting, though. You should be able to find a replacement lock set on ebay without too much trouble or expense. Don't forget to replace/re-key the helmet/seat lock to match.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Idles .... mostly smoothly at 800-900 but isnt perfect. If I bump up the choke to 1100 it idles epicly smooth.
                    Plugs were replaced 400 miles ago so I can forgo that until my tank is empty at which time I can remove it , clean the tank and filter and then do plugs.
                    Will do oil filter and oil today .

Thanx for the info

Comment

Even if it did have a few minor things wrong with it, it's still a great deal. Enjoy your new ride!
                      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
                        Even if it did have a few minor things wrong with it, it's still a great deal. Enjoy your new ride!
                        Thats what I thought and boy am I

Cheers

Comment

fresh oil and filter, bath , new headlight bulb , adjusted clutch cable and throttle cable , adjusted idle and she purrs ......
                          pay no attention to the gas cap. thats the headlight rubber sitting on there. took the pic before I installed the bulb lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tuner Auto View Post

My 1st bike was a 81 GS550L so the configuration is totally different. Very happy.
                            My 2nd bike was a '80 GS 550e. Incredibly tough bike!

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                              My 2nd bike was a '80 GS 550e. Incredibly tough bike!
                              I enjoyed it. Very nimble and after I changed the handle bars cornered well.

Comment

Working...
                              X