X

Katana: Naked to Bobber project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana: Naked to Bobber project

So I've been riding my katana for the past two years, thought about selling it and picking up a Harley or Victory. But I've decided against that and instead thought that it would be cool turn my bike into a bobber.

One thought I had was to extend the rake, put a peanut style tank on it and lower it a couple of inches.

The other thought I had was doing a frame swap.

The best, and easiest, that it looked like I could come up with lied within the GS frames. It seemed like either an 80 to 84ish GS 850?(check that) or GS 1100 frame would work as they had the inline 4s that look to be the same engines as the 90 GSX.

What I'm wondering is what would the difficultly be in putting my 750 motor into a GS frame? I'm finding them on EBay for a couple of hundred bucks or so. I guess the biggest issue would be whether or not the bolt patterns lined up for the motor mounts? The rest should be cake, lest I over estimate my skills and under estimate the complexity of the GSXF.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by kswalp90kat750; 10-27-2012, 11:14 PM.

Originally posted by kswalp90kat750 View Post
    So I've been riding my katana for the past two years, thought about selling it and picking up a Harley or Victory. But I've decided against that and instead thought that it would be cool turn my bike into a bobber.

One thought I had was to extend the rake, put a peanut style tank on it and lower it a couple of inches.

The other thought I had was doing a frame swap.

The best, and easiest, that it looked like I could come up with lied within the GS frames. It seemed like either an 80 to 84ish GS 850?(check that) or GS 1100 frame would work as they had the inline 4s that look to be the same engines as the 90 GSX.

What I'm wondering is what would the difficultly be in putting my 750 motor into a GS frame? I'm finding them on EBay for a couple of hundred bucks or so. I guess the biggest issue would be whether or not the bolt patterns lined up for the motor mounts? The rest should be cake, lest I over estimate my skills and under estimate the complexity of the GSXF.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help!
    These are the kinds of things your looking at getting into...

This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.

Good luck with your build.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The kat is not suited to be a bobber, not even close. you should pick up an older bike for that project.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        The kat is not suited to be a bobber, not even close. you should pick up an older bike for that project.
        I think he is. He said he was looking into older gs frames. Gs is a cruser, so its mad easy to bob it out

Comment

Working...
        X