X

Extra fuel filters- waste of $?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra fuel filters- waste of $?

I think so! I have the stock filter in the tank, but I also put in those plastic filters with the brass metal elements just in front of the carb fuel inlets.
    I have about 5000 miles on them.
    One of them broke its inlet plastic tube, so I took it, held it upside down in a glass shot glass and sprayed carb cleaner through it. What came out? Nothing!
    Did the same to the other, same result.
    My theory here is that their porosity is greater than the the filter in the tank. Anything that is too small for the tank filter to catch will easily pass through the little aftermarket filter.
    Blew through the filter and even though there is not much resistance, there is still a little so I removed the other good filter.

Considering I only changed mine once in 116,000kms (65,000miles) it's not like it was a bank breaker. But like yours mine was pretty clean over the entire life of the bike.
    Kyle

Comment

I think you're over thinking a piece of $5 coffee filter...

People need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel...
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        I think you're over thinking a piece of $5 coffee filter...

People need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel...
        When you are saying coffee filter, you are implying a filter with a paper element. This one has a metal element, just like this:

Fuel filters with paper elements filter the best but I don't think they will work with a gravity feed fuel system like the Katana as they are pretty restrictive and can cause fuel starvation.

Comment

lol ... I understand your point sir. what your trying to say is that we should be more worried about our petcocks getting clogged than our carbs. valid point... but if you have a petcock filter failure do you want it to go through the carbs too? but then again how often do katanas really have a petcock failure... practically never right?!!! wait.... that doesn't right.

That extra fuel filter may just be the filter that gets you home as opposed to the petcock filter that leaves you stranded...
          Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
          Tony
          94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
            lol ... I understand your point sir. what your trying to say is that we should be more worried about our petcocks getting clogged than our carbs. valid point... but if you have a petcock filter failure do you want it to go through the carbs too? but then again how often do katanas really have a petcock failure... practically never right?!!! wait.... that doesn't right.

That extra fuel filter may just be the filter that gets you home as opposed to the petcock filter that leaves you stranded...
            You said petcock failure, then petcock failure. I really don't think they are the same. A petcock failure can be where it keeps flowing fuel when it shouldn't. Yeah, that has happened, but I don't see how extra fuel filters will help. Fuel filter failure? Who has had THAT happen?

Comment

There are a couple of members who don't like that I've been saying this for most of the time... fuel filters on a kat are a waste of time. If they don't slow the flow of fuel, then they aren't catching anything the petcock screen won't. If they are finer than the petcock screen, then they slow the flow of fuel causing running issues. And if they actually do start catching anything, they quickly clog up, BUT... that doesn't prevent the carbs from getting dirty. The reason for that is ... if you have something that is clogging the filter, it's not all one size particles. Rust for example will have a silt so fine, there is absolutly no filter out that that will catch it all and still flow fuel with out being pressurized. We don't have fuel pumps... so in the end it really is as you said... a waste.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                There are a couple of members who don't like that I've been saying this for most of the time... fuel filters on a kat are a waste of time. If they don't slow the flow of fuel, then they aren't catching anything the petcock screen won't. If they are finer than the petcock screen, then they slow the flow of fuel causing running issues. And if they actually do start catching anything, they quickly clog up, BUT... that doesn't prevent the carbs from getting dirty. The reason for that is ... if you have something that is clogging the filter, it's not all one size particles. Rust for example will have a silt so fine, there is absolutly no filter out that that will catch it all and still flow fuel with out being pressurized. We don't have fuel pumps... so in the end it really is as you said... a waste.

Krey
                This +1
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Working...