X

needing some help please.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• needing some help please.

First let me start off by introducing myself. Name is christian, been riding off and on for 5 years, went down once and that took me off the bike for a year and a half. I currently own a pre-owned 2002 suzuki Katana. which coming from a different owner has its problems. And that is where i turn to you guys for help.

The few problems i have noticed since ive been playing with the bike is....
    1) Will not idle while choke is off, and also from sitting on the kick stand to sitting verticle the engines raise about another 1k. I know alot of people start saying that its probably the carbs since the prior owner had the bike in storage and probably had fluids in it the whole time....but i need like "carburators for dummies" with pictures, i have no problem jumping in and doing this, just dont want to screw it up.

2) The other problem i have noticed is when riding the bike seems to have a small surge or lurch.

If anyone can help me out i would greatly appreciate it, this is my only means of transportation to college, I have 9 days to get it road reliable ( im on spring break as of tomorrow noon) so time is of the essence but i have enough to go about this patiently and the right way.
    Once again, any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

christian
    Christian

U.S Army Veteran

The idle issue is certainly carburetor related. Pilot jets specifically. Carbs 101 is your best bet, other wise I can rebuild them for you.

Comment

welcome. check out carbs102 in the wiki at the top of the page. the pilot jets will get clogged from sitting especially with the fuel we have now. carbs102 will help you do the cleaning yourself. the Kats are lean running anyway due to emission regs. i recommend a jet kit as i recently did mine and big difference. good luck. PS: just cleaning w/o installing jet kit will help.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

98+ 600 OEM carbs
        Here's a set all ready to go, I'll give you a core charge as soon as I receive your current carbs. Let me know.

Comment

Well, i cant really pay $300+ for new carbs....heck, that is how much it would take to go get them cleaned by someone - unfortuantly, being in college doesnt make alot of money so im stuck doing this on my own. LMAO.....well, this way i get to learn how to do it for future reference i guess.....
          Christian

U.S Army Veteran

Comment

A dealership? $85 an hour + 4 hours, so $340 + parts. Your looking at $400 easy. I know this stuff.

Originally posted by offroadwrangler View Post
            Well, i cant really pay $300+ for new carbs....heck, that is how much it would take to go get them cleaned by someone - unfortuantly, being in college doesnt make alot of money so im stuck doing this on my own. LMAO.....well, this way i get to learn how to do it for future reference i guess.....

Comment

Hit the "Katana Wiki" link at the top of the page and search the wiki for "carbs 102". (Carbs 101 os for 89-97 Katana carbs.) Download the pdf version for some really good photos. It's a step-by-step guide to cleaning your carbs and that's exactly what you need.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Yeah, cleaning the pilot jets, especially on 98+ carbs. Is NOT hard, good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X